Graybeard Outdoors banner

Keto Pizza

1K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  dinny 
#1 ·
Anybody else eating Keto? I've been doing it and IF for a few months now, and its rolled the clock back 30+ years. Had ribs and brisket for lunch, with a big salad, smothered in cheese and full fat dressing, plus a 1/2 pint of Rebel Cookie Dough ice cream - not an unusual day. Haven't been this thin since boot camp, with just as much muscle, not to mention the improvement in the lab results.

Anyways, recommend this Keto Pizza recipe: Crust is made with 2 cups riced cauliflower, 2 cups parmesan, 2 eggs, 2 cloves of garlic, and a tablespoon of italian seasoning. Bake it at 350 for 35 minutes on a stone if you have it, or parchment paper, BEFORE you spread your favorite sauce on THIN (dont want to make the crust soggy), then a thin layer of cheese (crust is half cheese already), and your favorite toppings - I like real pepperoni, hot sausage, onions, peppers, mushrooms. Bake a little more, and voila - eat your veggies! Also good for the GF folks in your life.

#3 ·
Best cauliflower pizza I've had is at Beau Jo's in Ft. Collins, CO ... amazing! If you're ever in Colorado, I highly recommend it. Lots of places advertise a cauliflower crust, but they're usually full of rice flour which makes it gluten free but not Keto.

#6 · (Edited)
More proof that pizza is a very flexible concept. Ive seen quite a few people order pizza, then scrape the toppings onto a plate and leave the crust uneaten. Alternatively, just broil a steak, and put the pizza toppings on it during the last minutes of cooking.

Mmmm.... Pizza steak.... Take note that one serving is a two pound hunk of meat, plus toppings.
https://www.gustotv.com/recipe/grilled-steak-pizza-toppings/

#7 ·
If you've ever lived the keto lifestyle, you'd note that things like steak, ribs, sausages, brisket are staples. A cauliflower crust pizza is variation from the norm - something fun to do on a Friday night to break it up a little when you get tired of meat and salad. A typical keto meal for us is a half rack of ribs each, and a salad ... which is often the size of the family salad they serve at Olive Garden. If we've still got room, my wife makes an awesome chocolate mousse out of mascarpone, heavy whipping cream, cocoa and monkfruit. Or maybe just some halo top ice cream ... the mousse is very heavy. Believe it or not, that gets old, hence the pizza - I like the crust myself; its quite good. Wife made a thin crust today for us - same consistency, better flavor than a store bought thin crust.

#11 · (Edited)
CTL, great post!

I personally don’t diet. There are people who diet using keto and they invariably will elevate their cholesterol and regain weight when they stop. That’s not ketos fault, it’s how they did it. The goal is fat adaptation which is how you came out of the womb and probably were until the American diet kicked in and made the vast majority of us insulin resistant. As you say, processed foods and toxins; those train your body to ride the insulin wave and is probably the cause of most of our health issues.

Keto is a means to transition your body off of that roller coaster and back to how you were born. It should involve 10 cups of salad a day. No starchy veggies. It should be clean dressings. Etc. not the chemical laden kind folks trend towards. It should be fresh meat, not processed or packaged. There’s a lot of confusion about what your body actually needs to move into ketosis and then into fat adaptation and frankly many who claim to be doing Keto really are not.

We intermittently fast - eat lunch and an early dinner, no snacks - and take a few vitamins, eat less than 50g of net carbs a day not counting salad vegetables. No cheats, no diet anything. No ridiculous portions except for salad. Lots of clean water. We probably eat like our forefathers did 150 years ago minus sugar and flour. In that way its a lifestyle choice.

Prior to that I was flirting with heart disease, high BP, rising cholesterol and a few other bad things that come with being overweight most of my life. My wife was pre-diabetic, high cholesterol, a few other things that were all headed to medication. We changed for our health, and it just so happened we lost weight. In a few months, all of the health issues were addressed. Now 6 months in my wife is off of all medications, including those taken her entire life.

I understand rejecting fad diets. This isn’t that.

#12 ·
Excellent results. Keep it up.

One of the great things about good food is that I feel good after I eat it.

Having almost any kind of processed or junk food makes me feel bad and sick. For example, I can eat a Burger King double cheeseburger and still feel ok, but eating more, like a whole a whopper, makes me sick.

That's nature's way of telling me what kind of food to prefer or avoid.

I still think keto is an overthinking of the situation. Cutting out most carbs and sugars and alcohols will get the job done.

Did you get the Keto idea from the pork-centric Okinawans?

#13 ·
I switched to a Keto, or at least heavily low carb diet about 4 months ago. I had already been losing weight for a couple of months by not eating out, cooking all my own meals and reducing my spending on food to $10 a week. I'm also eating only once a day, although I will occasionally mix it up and eat twice. All the Brussel sprouts, asperagus, kale and cauliflower I can eat, and plenty of meat. I have no issue with this as a lifestyle, more so because I can see and feel the improvement in my health. I've gone from tight fitting 40's to loose fitting 34's without really trying. I sleep better. Much more energy. It's easy to do because I don't try to limit my food intake, only the content and timing. I don't and won't worry about cholesterol, it's a health marker of dubious usefulness. About the only downside is that more than one beer makes me feel like crap. Probably it just makes me feel like I have been feeling for years. No problem, I can do without beer.....

That said, keto is not for everyone, but I'm convinced that big reductions in processed sugary carbs can benefit everyone.

BTW, My favorite keto to pizza is made with a mozzarella and almond flour crust. Even my non-keto wife thinks it is just plain old good pizza crust. I can't cook it now, it heats up the house too much. Fall and winter food.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.