Country dinner - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Default Country dinner

Fried chicken, mashed potatoes, corn with butter, green beans, rolls or some kind of bread and people that like the company, and home made pies ahh the past...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 04:52 PM

Its all still available. Pies? I used to make my own, but it hardly costs more to buy a frozen mrs smiths frozen pie, and they are surprisingly good. The dutch apple is my long time favorite.

Other things on the list are canned. Kings hawaiian rolls are really good. Mashed taters are easy enough to make. Fried chicken is easy so long as it doesnt have to be deep fried.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 05:03 PM

We have a country buffet in Webster, Fl between the stock pens at the sale barn and the produce market. Best country cooking since my wifeís Georgia grown aunts all died off.

I eat there every chance I get. The fried chicken is the best Iíve ate in years. And all the fresh vegetables you want. Of course I pass on the fresh strawberry shortcake covered in real whipped cream, but my wife does not.

Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE, Trump for 2020
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

I used to by mrs smiths frozen pies. They are good, I have a local pie co. I wonít name for obvious stalking reasons and buy this now. For me it was a piece of history that is now gone including those around the table. Religion was the prayer before the meal and nothing more. The country dinner I wish I had today. Full bellies, lots of laughs and acceptable insults or jokes on the other family member.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Actually meant Marie Callenderís pies are far superior to mrs smiths IMO. But for me there is a local company that makes a better pie for 6 bucks and I donít have to cook it...
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 05:30 PM

I too have a local favorite restaurant that also sells pies. They're more expensive but worth it for special occasions.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

My Grand Mother always said the key to a good pie is having a good crust.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule 11 View Post
My Grand Mother always said the key to a good pie is having a good crust.
And the key to a good crust is lard in a cold dough. There's no good substitute for lard in a pie crust, though most pie crusts we encounter aren't made with it.

The whole state of lard in America is enough to make me rant. It's hard to find good lard these days. Bad lard is easy, it's overly purified and treated so it has longer shelf life.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in