Hoe Cakes - Page 3 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironglow View Post
You are right Pastorp, when I lived in the south, I realized that it was not for me to change the way folks live there, but it was my job to try to adapt, which I did very well.

sometimes I did get to talking too fast..and was told, "just wait a New York minute"..which caused me to chuckle..and correct myself.

I lived there long enough to find that the best way to apply the correct speech speed and inflection, was to pick up the local accent and expressions.

That worked very well and also worked to smooth my acceptance by the local folks.

Now grits...where did I get the idea that grits were that small, embryonic tip on each kernel of corn? Are "hominy grits" one and the same?

BTW; There is no better way to get folks ready to kick you to the moon, than to give them the idea that you think they are stupid, or somehow inferior.

The folks from those big cities you mentioned, also try to treat we rural folk that way..

..But we have fun playing them...just like playing a cat or dog with a laser pointer...

It’s getting to where we southern folks are outnumbered down here in Florida. And most that were born here came from transplanted Yankees. No many can trace their family back to the civil war much less the revolunary war.

If anyone would like to read a good book on Florida’s development pre-northern influence. Read A Land Remembered.

Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE, Trump for 2020
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 01:53 PM

Pastorp; I tried your hoe cakes, but I did something wrong. I mixed it so it was somewhat stiff..wouldn't run..no slump. Then I got a 10 inch fry pand and made a cake in the middle, about 6 or 7 inches in diameter, and about 3/8 inch thick.

When I went to lift it out of the pan, it broke in thirds..so I made the best I could of it. The outside 1/8 inch layer was good, but the middle 1/8 inch seemed to be just dry cornmeal.

I think I was wrong for at least 2... maybe 3 reasons.. 1) Mix not wet enough 2) too thick a cake.. and 3) Perhaps I should have settled for a cake 3" in diameter.

Should I have made the mix about as thin as pancake batter..and poured in smaller cakes ?

"Politically correct" language, is really Orwellian 'newspeak'. (Michael Cutler)
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 03:54 PM

Location: THE REPUBLIC OF TEXAS or CENTRAL FREDONIAN REPUBLIC
Gun Cabinet

you can make a "dough" as if you were making
biscuits and make a ball and smush it flat with
your hand or with a spatula in the skillet.
not too flat, maybe 1/2-3/8 of an inch. i don't
make 'em any bigger than about 4 inches around.
i make a thick "batter" and pour one out like
it was a cornmeal pancake instead of making a
thick dough-like batch.
either way will work.
any bigger around or thicker and they take too long to cook.

The United States doesn't have a gun control problem.
We have a people control problem.

Honor the Texas flag;I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas,
one state under God, one and indivisible.

* * * * AMERICA * * * *
LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT ! !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 05:35 PM

Quote:
I'll have to try that, sounds good...and very southern..

"Hoe cakes"... I suppose that term may have a very different meaning... depending if one is using the term in a southern farm field..or in an urban setting !

I think that would be hoe pie...
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Are "hominy grits" one and the same?

That tip on the corn is the germ that's removed from "store bought" corn meal.
Only home shelled and ground has the germ on it, but either one is used for what some folks call "grits."
It was also used for cornbread and hoe cakes.
Honest to goodness grits are made from hominy that is dried and ground up fine.

Many folks ate cornmeal mush and called it grits simply because making hominy is so labor intensive. And it could be dangerous since lye was used in the process.

Luckily my grandma made several crocks of it every fall so I had the real thing.
Hominy grits with salt, pepper, and red-eye gravy, yum, yum.

HEAVEN HAS A WALL, A GATE, AND A STRICT IMMIGRATION POLICY.
H*LL HAS OPEN BORDERS. taken from fox news

DEMOCRATS/ABORTIONISTS SHOULD TAKE HEED OF THE FACT THAT BABIES ARE GOD'S MOST PRECIOUS.

MURDER BABIES AND YOU "WILL" BURN FOR ETERNITY.
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeye View Post
That tip on the corn is the germ that's removed from "store bought" corn meal.
Only home shelled and ground has the germ on it, but either one is used for what some folks call "grits."
It was also used for cornbread and hoe cakes.
Honest to goodness grits are made from hominy that is dried and ground up fine.

Many folks ate cornmeal mush and called it grits simply because making hominy is so labor intensive. And it could be dangerous since lye was used in the process.

Luckily my grandma made several crocks of it every fall so I had the real thing.
Hominy grits with salt, pepper, and red-eye gravy, yum, yum.
Red eye gravy? Explain this for me please. Someone made this once and it was oil just oil. I have a hard time believing that was gravy...
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Pastorp; I tried your hoe cakes, but I did something wrong. I mixed it so it was somewhat stiff..wouldn't run..no slump. Then I got a 10 inch fry pand and made a cake in the middle, about 6 or 7 inches in diameter, and about 3/8 inch thick.

When I went to lift it out of the pan, it broke in thirds..so I made the best I could of it. The outside 1/8 inch layer was good, but the middle 1/8 inch seemed to be just dry cornmeal.

I think I was wrong for at least 2... maybe 3 reasons.. 1) Mix not wet enough 2) too thick a cake.. and 3) Perhaps I should have settled for a cake 3" in diameter.

Should I have made the mix about as thin as pancake batter..and poured in smaller cakes ?

Take a cup of corn meal. A dash of salt and runthe hot water side of your sink until it get hot. Mix in hot water to the corn meal until its easy to still in a mixing bowel. Then add some more hot water until what you pour out of the bowl is like thin pancake mix. Get a hot skillet going on a burner with a little frying grease. Just enough to coat the skillet. Pour about a 6 circle of the thin batter into the skillet. Watch it until you see bubbles coming up in the middle of the hoecake. Flip the cake over and let the other side cook. Many a couple minutes its done. Repeat until all your hoecake mix is fried.

Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE, Trump for 2020
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 10:35 PM

Forget that hoe cakes stuff and switch to silver dollar pancakes. Life is better there.
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorp View Post
Take a cup of corn meal. A dash of salt and runthe hot water side of your sink until it get hot. Mix in hot water to the corn meal until its easy to still in a mixing bowel. Then add some more hot water until what you pour out of the bowl is like thin pancake mix. Get a hot skillet going on a burner with a little frying grease. Just enough to coat the skillet. Pour about a 6 circle of the thin batter into the skillet. Watch it until you see bubbles coming up in the middle of the hoecake. Flip the cake over and let the other side cook. Many a couple minutes its done. Repeat until all your hoecake mix is fried.
Thanks, Pastorp, now I can see my error. It is much more like doing regular pancakes. I will be enjoying some more of them soon.

"Politically correct" language, is really Orwellian 'newspeak'. (Michael Cutler)
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule 11 View Post
Red eye gravy? Explain this for me please. Someone made this once and it was oil just oil. I have a hard time believing that was gravy...
Red eye gravy is made from bacon or ham grease with some strong coffee drizzled into it to make an eye in the bottom of the bowl.
To put it on your grits or biscuit, you stir it good to get the coffee up into the grease and spoon it on.
The coffee will settle back down and the next person stirs it again.
Just plain oil doesn't work. It must be meat grease.

HEAVEN HAS A WALL, A GATE, AND A STRICT IMMIGRATION POLICY.
H*LL HAS OPEN BORDERS. taken from fox news

DEMOCRATS/ABORTIONISTS SHOULD TAKE HEED OF THE FACT THAT BABIES ARE GOD'S MOST PRECIOUS.

MURDER BABIES AND YOU "WILL" BURN FOR ETERNITY.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page