Whatís your favorite game bird - Page 4 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 02:34 AM

Dove, but Iím not very well versed in birds.

I need a kinder gentler machine gun

**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 10:55 AM

My first choice would be Grouse. But gotta give some love to Wild Turkey. Id pick Wild Turkey second only to grouse. Gotta cook it right tho. Cut it into 3/8 or 1/2" strips, roll it in seasoned flour (Krusteaz), and fry it slow. Give it a try.
post #33 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Duck View Post
My first choice would be Grouse. But gotta give some love to Wild Turkey. Id pick Wild Turkey second only to grouse. Gotta cook it right tho. Cut it into 3/8 or 1/2" strips, roll it in seasoned flour (Krusteaz), and fry it slow. Give it a try.
I grouse hunted in NM, Montana, and Alaska. But now that Iím retired back in Florida we kill a lot of wild turkey here on the ranch. I either cut the breasts in strips like you said and flower & fry or grind them up and make turkey burgers.

Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE, Trump for 2020
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 11:35 AM

Pastorp, Great minds think alike...
post #35 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleyyooper View Post

Probably because of Liberal Butchers from Da UP.

Al

more liberals in one of those down state counties then there are total people in the UP. We do have lots of coyotes though if you want to come up and fill your freezer!!!! You can take those wolves the hippys from down state shoved on us up here too while your at it. Let the UP deal with those cute little doggy's. Fill your freezer to the brim but stay away from my lab!!! Yup bring back those wolves but not in my back yard. Lets limit or eliminate baiting in the UP too because if we have a problem they should get the same laws shoved down there throat even though they don't have the problem. Yup bring a bunch of your buddys up. Set up camp right on the border of my property. Shoot guns all day long. Have a 2 week party. Go to town and cheat on your wife and when your done leave your beer bottles and trash in the woods. Not saying your one of them but that type sure seems to be more the norm then the exception and you can keep your save the little pretty dove bs for the peta people. Funny thing is you can convince your wives you have to come up here deer hunting when theres more deer in your back yard!!!

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!

Last edited by lloyd smale; 09-12-2019 at 11:28 AM.
post #36 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorp View Post
I grouse hunted in NM, Montana, and Alaska. But now that Iím retired back in Florida we kill a lot of wild turkey here on the ranch. I either cut the breasts in strips like you said and flower & fry or grind them up and make turkey burgers.
I saw my first grouse ever by my home town last week.
The way it is going, if I want to hunt turkey I should get a suppressor for my 22 rifle and sit in the garage till the **** vermin walk by.

RR
post #37 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 08:51 AM

that's about what its like here. You hear all the time people saying how hard they are to hunt. I could shoot them right out of the kitchen window at camp. Had to laugh one day when my brother in law showed up at camp with camos on painted his face and took his calls and went out in the woods. 4 hours later he came back all excited because he called a couple in close enough to hear them but not see them. Told him there was over 20 of them at one time 30 yards from the window and wouldn't even leave when I went out to my truck and open and shut the doors and waked within plain view of them. Must be two different breads of turkey because the ones up here aren't to bright.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Riebe View Post
I saw my first grouse ever by my home town last week.
The way it is going, if I want to hunt turkey I should get a suppressor for my 22 rifle and sit in the garage till the **** vermin walk by.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
post #38 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

Lloyd, there actually 5 different sub-species of wild turkey. I have old home movies of grandmaw Windham going out by the house fence and throwing out all the left overs from the day and banging on the big pot she carried it out in to call the turkeys. They would come running out of the woods to get the food and we would all stand in the yard and watch them.

But walk out in the woods next to the house and they were a different bird.

Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE, Trump for 2020
post #39 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorp View Post
Lloyd, there actually 5 different sub-species of wild turkey. I have old home movies of grandmaw Windham going out by the house fence and throwing out all the left overs from the day and banging on the big pot she carried it out in to call the turkeys. They would come running out of the woods to get the food and we would all stand in the yard and watch them.

But walk out in the woods next to the house and they were a different bird.
I have uncles who just love to make fun of the other guy. They were (re telling the story about me crying and landing on my ass when I shot the shotgun when I was six. Actually it pushed me back a step and I hit the pie pan. The tears came from one of their sons not me. But what good is a story if you canít belittle or make fun of the other guy right? Well half of them are gone now... Wish they werenít...
post #40 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 09:26 PM

Bugeye is right. all those dark meat birds taste like liver, YUK. a wild turkey is stringy, tough, no taste. give me quail, butterball, or fried chicken.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page