Graybeard Outdoors banner

Sauerkraut?

2K views 35 replies 16 participants last post by  ironglow 
#1 ·
Anyone get the sauerkraut put up this fall?

#2 ·
I love kraut with sausage or hot dogs but I go store bought.
But as a little boy I remember my grandma putting up crocks of it.
When it started to ferment the smell was wonderful.
I can open a can, grab a fork, and eat it all.

#7 ·
^^^^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^^^^
One of my all-time favorite meals.

#8 ·
We used to, and I still do about once a year, cook pork ribs in a large oval roast pan at a slow boil long enough, at least an hour, so a lot of fat is cooked off, then pour off some of the juice and fat and then put in saurkraut till every thing is covered and cook that at a low temp. for another hour.
It was usually done during cold weather and often the ribs would be put in the unheated porch till the fall solidified and could be removed easily.
Smoked wiener or sausage was often added.

Dad liked to put cut up potatoes into the pot also but I always preferred using mashed potatoes.
Just thinking about it makes me think I will cook a batch up in the next week or so.

#25 ·
We used to, and I still do about once a year, cook pork ribs in a large oval roast pan at a slow boil long enough, at least an hour, so a lot of fat is cooked off, then pour off some of the juice and fat and then put in saurkraut till every thing is covered and cook that at a low temp. for another hour.
It was usually done during cold weather and often the ribs would be put in the unheated porch till the fall solidified and could be removed easily.
Smoked wiener or sausage was often added.

Dad liked to put cut up potatoes into the pot also but I always preferred using mashed potatoes.
Just thinking about it makes me think I will cook a batch up in the next week or so.
Reminds me of my Mom and takes me back to 1965 when I was living at home with me parents. We had a crock of kraut in one corner of the basement and a wooden barrel of hard apple cider in the other.

#10 ·
Let's see; Brats on the grill, nope.
topped with chili; nope.
chopped onion; nope.
shredded cheese; nope.

I just can't find the sauerkraut. :tango_face_grin:

That does sound good though.

#17 ·
I'm trying to remember the old rule of thumb, I think it is 4 tbsp. salt per head.
I didn't mash mine down so much to draw the juices out, relied on the salt.
It is a two step process, the salt kills the bad bugs, them allows the good bugs to ferment the product, like in kimchi as well.

#23 ·
I too am a big kimchi fan. Use it all the time. But I warn others that there are good and bad tasting brands of it. Fortunately my favorite Asian grocer is a lady who takes her kimchi seriously and she has a good supplier. I've bought some of the supermarket kimchi's that were terrible and I threw them out.

Mmmm. Kimchi fried rice with a sunny side up egg on top. Yum!

#20 ·
same process I think, although that really hot paste is hand applied to the leaves of cabbage, leading me to wonder what else we could apply, cranberries are mentioned.
i wonder about fish sauce, it is one of the things that doesn't
taste like it sounds yet imparts a wonderful flavor to many things.
Garlic? Turmeric ?

#24 · (Edited)
My grandma made it in a five gallon crock. I wasn't too fond of it then and evidently neither were my parents as it was never served in our house. It's still not something I'm really crazy about but a kraut dog is good----now and then, but not nearly as good as a chile dog. I blessed with pretty much with a cast iron stomach. Hardly anything gives me indigestion but let me eat a couple of kraut dogs and I get gas. Not a big deal unless I get closed up in a small room.

#29 ·
#31 · (Edited)
My folks used to put up kraut in a crock, but I never got into the habit. While serving in germany, I noticed their kraut as served in a restaurant, did not seem quite so acidic as the U.S. brands, plus it appeared to me to be closer to fried than cooked..

Here, I have found commercial "Bavarian style" kraut, which I prefer.

Talking to an American Chef who cooks German... he told me .."don't cook the canned kraut in the juice it comes in"..in fact he told me one should rinse the kraut before cooking it in fresh water, which relieves some of the unusually high sodium content.

Historical note: Back in the days of iron men on wooden ships, the British discovered that carrying some limes aboard and forcing the sailors to consume
them, warded off the dreaded scurvy...thus British became known as "Limeys".

Of course it was difficult to carry fresh limes whenever & wherever they sailed, and they soon discovered that kraut carried the same important food value, so it soon became SOP that kraut was carried aboard and sailors were required to consume X amount of kraut weekly.

Bavarian style kraut is available, but you may have to ask for it..

Attachments

#33 ·
IG, Nooooooo....... When you rinse it, it becomes cooked cabbage.
That sour salty taste is what makes your sausages or hot dogs taste so good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.