Green pans ? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Default Green pans ?

I need a new nonstick egg pan. I see that pans like green pan ceramic coated pans are sold at places like target. How do they compare to conventional nonstick pans? Is the coating durable?

I'm reluctant to try ceramic because i expect that they will lose their nonstick ability quickly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 04:24 PM

Location: THE REPUBLIC OF TEXAS or CENTRAL FREDONIAN REPUBLIC
Gun Cabinet

just me-
i don't and won't own or use any coated pans.
i use a mixture of oldie cast iron and modern lodge
and far eastern made of unknown origin
and have one lodge "steel" skillet i bought as a
knockabout for camping.
the steel lodge has worked as well as any i've ever
used for anything. i use it quite often. used it yesterday
for a couple of scrambled eggs. cleans up really easy.
it's also relatively inexpensive. i'll also add that there's
no way i'd pay what a lot of those "cooking" show
gurus pay for those pans they use.

The United States doesn't have a gun control problem.
We have a people control problem.

Honor the Texas flag;I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas,
one state under God, one and indivisible.

* * * * AMERICA * * * *
LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT ! !
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger99 View Post
just me-
i don't and won't own or use any coated pans.
i use a mixture of oldie cast iron and modern lodge
and far eastern made of unknown origin
and have one lodge "steel" skillet i bought as a
knockabout for camping.
the steel lodge has worked as well as any i've ever
used for anything. i use it quite often. used it yesterday
for a couple of scrambled eggs. cleans up really easy.
it's also relatively inexpensive. i'll also add that there's
no way i'd pay what a lot of those "cooking" show
gurus pay for those pans they use.
It all depends on what things you want to cook. I tried to use just steel and iron, but I had to use a lot of butter when doing eggs. The nonstick 8 inch pans are outstanding for making eggs the way I like them. Omelets. Over easy. Spanish tortilla style, not to be cornfuzed with Mexican tortillas. I keep mine separate from all other cookware and store to on top of the fridge. Nobody else is allowed to use it. It's also very good for fish that doesn't have batter or breading on it.

Because I'm careful with mine, and use a silicone or wood spatula with it, it gets no significant scratches, but the coating does wear out. I usually get five years out of a skillet, then we take it to a metal recycler.

I believe that there are good applications for high dollar pans like all clad brand. My buddy has a whole set of them. Do not knock these things unless you've tried them. Performance is stunningly good. I have one 10 inch all clad style lidded sauté pan made by haenkels and it cost a hundred bucks. Totally worth it. But that's only because I cook a lot. Super even heating. In every way better than, say, Farberware. I have gravitated away from cast iron and am using that pan a lot now. I still use cast iron, but not nearly as much as I used to. The haenckels costs about a third of what the comparable all clad pan costs, so as with coolers, there are premium products at less than premium prices.

As for cost, I see no point in spending big bucks on a non stick pan. They wear out. I have been perfectly satisfied with cuisinart products, and their nonstick 8 inch pan costs $20 at Target.

Being seeeerious about good eggs, I also own a stainless 1 quart farberware sauce pan that I use for poached eggs. Between the 8 incher, the sauce pan, a slotted spoon, a silicone spatula, and some vinegar for poaching and butter and oil for eggs and omelet fillings, I'm well equipped to tackle anything I want to do with eggs.

Spanish style tortilla...
https://www.taste.com.au/images/reci...a-19881_l.jpeg

Delish if you haven't tried them.

Last edited by conan the librarian; 11-13-2019 at 11:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

I read reviews on green land and a lot of people say they start to stick soon after purchase.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 04:00 PM

Several years ago when they first started the TV ads for a green coated fry pan the wife bought one at Bed, Bath, & Beyond. I think we used it 2 or 3 times and took it back and got a refund. Maybe they've improved them since then, but that one stuck almost as bad as a plain steel pan! The copper ones are, as far as I'm concerned, nothing but a gimmick also. We've tried two of those and went back to the old fashioned coated pans, along with cast iron.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 04:03 PM

ive had a couple. seem no better or no worse then any other non stick coating. Like spruce said the copper ones are no better. If you want non stick my advice is to buy whats cheapest and toss it when it get bad and buy another one.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 11:17 AM

The keeper of the kitchen here has settled on Cera Pans brand pans. They are ceramic coated inside and and out with a mottled gray coating and a flat aluminum base. The old gal is quite competent in the kitchen and says this is the best of the no-stick pans she's found. I'm glad they last like they do as I've chunked a fair amount of no-stick pans in the trash bin that have failed. She says to never get any no-stick pan too hot and never use a metal spatula. Her method seems to work as I've not had to pay for new pans in quite a while now.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 12:05 PM

Gun Cabinet

I have never found a pan of any kind that eggs will not stich in. I have cast iron, stainless steel, copper non stick but they do. I have a very heavy stainless covered aluminum 8 inch that is the best I have found but it will stick with eggs unless I use a little butter. You will notice that they show these non stick pans not sticking but the food is always moving.

Deaconllb

U S Air Force Korean vet. NRA Member
Fourth fighter wing Kimpo Korea 1952 Fourth but first, the mig killers.
533rd material ,air defence Oxnard AFB 1953-1955
Pastor of the CBCG-Fellowship group Tulsa Oklahoma.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldandslow View Post
She says to never get any no-stick pan too hot and never use a metal spatula. Her method seems to work as I've not had to pay for new pans in quite a while now.
BINGO-- READ THE INSTRUCTIONS that usually come with the cooking ware.I have done in depth searches on frying pans with real good, good, average, not too bad and paper weight ratings.
The people who work with and test these items say improper use, too hot, is the main reason a 100 dollar frying pan can be turned into a sticking unevenly cooking piece of junk being used only once; utensils used while cooking being number two reason.

Many of the high prices ones that WILL last a life time , if used properly, must be used in a certain way, or , once again, they are no better than good will store used pan.
While reading about the foo-foo pans that had a non- stick coating, most professional reviewers said some are better than average non-stick , but some , very high priced ones, are no better than those than a new bargain store no stick, PLUS, they said no non-stick pan is worth paying the price a NON-coated high buck pan is, as they will, with rare exceptions due to the one using it, not the pan, eventually lose their non-stick quality.
Most high buck pans get most of their high rating due how well they transfer heat, not whether or not they stick or not.

RR
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2019, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

I got a cuisinart at target. Works great. This one is layered steel. Last one was aluminum. $20.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page