They can put a man on the moon but can't make a decent toaster - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 02:20 AM Thread Starter

We've had a few toasters over the years but none of them have toasted bread before popping it up. I see this as a cruel injustice. Why do we make machines that are designed to increase human effort and to produce defective results.

My usual pattern is to toast the bread until it pops up, then start the toaster again and watch the bread for a few minutes while toasting completes.

Are you similarly tortured by this so called labor saving device?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 07:26 AM

Precisely, and none of them toast the bread evenly. I flip the slice upside down and turn the opposite side towards the middle of the toaster, but it still comes out toasted too much on the top and too little on the bottom.

I'm old enough to remember the old all metal toasters that got so hot the toast was toasted before it could dry out. New plastic housings could never stand that kind of heat.

And never leave your toaster plugged in as the spring can become weak and eventually not hold the carrier up. If that happens the toaster (and your house) could end up in a pile of ashes - thanks to the cheap plastic housing!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 08:20 AM

Yup!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 08:35 AM

We use a toaster oven and the settings are very precise. Just takes time to learn how to get it just right.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 08:41 AM

you guys have to stop buying your used toasters at goodwill and buy a new one. buy one for bagels and it will work fine on toast.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 12:38 PM

I bought a ultra toaster from cuisinart years ago it was by any measure the worst Iíve ever used. Fast forward about 6 years it finally dies. Wife went to Walmart and bought the cheapest she could find, a Black&Decker 2 slice.

Itís now about 18 years old, itíll go from warm bread to burned toast, itíll do bagels on one side only. Simply works, as advertised, like the toasters of olden days.

I need a kinder gentler machine gun

**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatercat View Post
you guys have to stop buying your used toasters at goodwill and buy a new one. buy one for bagels and it will work fine on toast.
We tried that and it didn't work. It took forever to toast a bagel. I've been using a toaster oven instead of a toaster for a few months now and am very happy with it as a replacement for toasters. Do you have a particular brand in mind for a truly effective toaster? I'm sure they exist, but I have yet to find one. You would be doing a great public service if you can reveal this holy grail of kitchen unicorns.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 06:32 PM

Yep. Sure could use a good toaster. I’ll buy mine after I get Conan’s review...

Last edited by Mule 11; 11-15-2019 at 08:22 AM.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 11:32 PM

I used my toaster oven...but of course, it does take 5 minutes, according to the timer.

I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion. (Alexander the Great)
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 02:58 PM

I had to go check the brand. We have an Oster, bought at Walmart, that has done a good job on toast for several years now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page