Sausage Seasoning mix. - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Gun Cabinet
Default Sausage Seasoning mix.

I have been trying for a couple years to find or make my own sausage seasoning. thanks to one of our members who shared one he had put together which was good but I finally found one that I really like it is made by Farmers Brothers may be the same company that supplies coffee to a lot of business in my area It is called Farmers Brothers old fashioned Sausage seasoning comes in an 8 ounce round container and is the same mix that Cains coffee put out for a number of years cost 4.95 a container
I mix a 1 lb pack 90 percent beef 10 percent fat ground beef and a pound of Deer meat and about 18 tea spoons of the seasoning mix work it in good and place in refer. over night or if you wont to you can split up in small packages and freeze, save what you wont for breakfast in the refer. for me it is great your mileage may vary.

Deaconllb

U S Air Force Korean vet. NRA Member
Fourth fighter wing Kimpo Korea 1952 Fourth but first, the mig killers.
533rd material ,air defence Oxnard AFB 1953-1955
Pastor of the CBCG-Fellowship group Tulsa Oklahoma.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 07:24 PM

Thank you !
Getting a hog processed soon.

Come quickly, Lord Jesus
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 07:53 AM

I either use my own recipes or use this company exclusively https://www.askthemeatcutter.com/ they sell nothing but quality stuff that they have tried themselves and has passed muster. For me anymore other then summer sausage and snack sticks I don't use venison or beef. Fat is a major part of the flavor of fresh sausage. I buy whole pork buts and grind them. You end up with a perfect compromise of meat vs fat. Leaner then the crappy store stuff but not dry like venison sausage. Added benefit is its about half the price of beef even if you have to buy it already ground. Had a old school butcher up here that was considered THE sausage maker that people drove 100s of miles to buy his stuff tell me once that if you have to add oil or butter to the pan when you cook it you don't have enough fat in it. Everyone has there own idea of sausage taste but to me it has to be pork. Just the opposite when I make venison burger. NO PORK FOR ME. The fat I add must be beef fat or nothing.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!

Last edited by lloyd smale; 11-22-2019 at 07:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 09:39 AM

I've tried all sorts of different meat combos and seasonings for breakfast sausage, but nothing has that pig sausage taste, except PIG. As an old southern hillbilly, I was raised on pork sausage and nothing else gets the job done...Sorry. I must agree with Lloyd, just grind up a pork butt, fat side and all, season with your favorite seasoning and you are good to go. The local grocery puts butts on sale on occasion for $0.79/lb. Including seasoning, I'm well under a dollar per pound. No way to beat that, that I've found. My favorite seasoning is A.C. Legg's Southern Sausage Seasoning. Add a touch of my home grown, fresh ground sage and VOILA!
I put venison in almost everything and eat it a lot, I'm mean a LOT, but not fer my breakfast. It does make excellent summer sausage when smoked, but that's a whole nouther story.
Good Eating, Walt
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodshot View Post
Thank you !
Getting a hog processed soon.
Tell them you want all of the fat bagged and not turned into lard. You will have the equivalent to gold for sausage making! I agree with Lloyd, most DIY'ers don't use enough fat. Good sausage needs about 30% fat, burger 20%. It's hard to find straight pork fat these days and If you buy pork shoulders for sausage it is perfect ratio until you add venison... Pork fat is probably best for sausage, but beef fat will work, duck or chicken fat is great for it also but harder to find.

When I cook whole duck or a true farm raised chicken I always save the rendered fat and freeze in a pint jar then use it when I cook venison. Either frying or in the slow cooker, adds flavor and that needed fat.

Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the h-ell they please. --John Wayne
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 06:31 PM

If we're talking breakfast sausage, the best I've ever had was actually a commercial product. Jimmy dean original, it's sold frozen in plastic. I'd love to find a seasoning that matches it.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Gun Cabinet

I think that this Farmers Brothers will be very close. You can get your meat and just sprinkle a tea spoon at a time till you get it right

Deaconllb

U S Air Force Korean vet. NRA Member
Fourth fighter wing Kimpo Korea 1952 Fourth but first, the mig killers.
533rd material ,air defence Oxnard AFB 1953-1955
Pastor of the CBCG-Fellowship group Tulsa Oklahoma.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 08:58 PM

Send a message via AIM to Zeak

I buy my breakfast sausage seasoning from Frisco's in Omaha. They have all types of seasoning, for breakfast sausage
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeak View Post
I buy my breakfast sausage seasoning from Frisco's in Omaha. They have all types of seasoning, for breakfast sausage
Ditto! We particularly like Frisco's ' Summer Salami'! We haven't done breakfast sausage before!
hc18flyer
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan the librarian View Post
If we're talking breakfast sausage, the best I've ever had was actually a commercial product. Jimmy dean original, it's sold frozen in plastic. I'd love to find a seasoning that matches it.
Agreed. But around 4 bucks a pound.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page