Canned corned beef hash theory - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-23-2019, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

Default Canned corned beef hash theory

Well, I tried the Armour corned beef hash this morning and I botched it. I tried to make two patties fried crisp on both sides using butter as the fat. Temp was 4 on a scale of 1 to 10 on electric stove. That's hot enough to sizzle, but not hot enough to burn stuff to a smoldering crisp quickly.

The patties fell apart. I did get them crisp, but the overall effect was not good.

There seems to be two confounding factors: the moisture in the taters needs quite a bit of cooking to evaporate, and the meat is chopped so fine that just doesn't stay formed as a patty.

I could rethink the process by, say, putting the hash in a baking dish, baking it long enough to dry it some, and then broil it to get a crispy top. That might work.

Got any suggestions for doin' it up right?

I'm thinking "what would jethro of the Beverly hillbillies do"? The jethro inspiration is to forsake the hog jowls and possum shanks for a moment and fry up some potatoes and onions so they are nice and browned. Separately, cook a hamburger patty. Then fry two eggs over easy. Top the potatoes with one egg and the burger with the other.

Last edited by conan the librarian; 11-23-2019 at 07:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-23-2019, 07:51 PM

Are you seriously against beating an egg and adding the corned beef to bind it before frying? Kind of an omelet?

Come quickly, Lord Jesus
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-23-2019, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodshot View Post
Are you seriously against beating an egg and adding the corned beef to bind it before frying? Kind of an omelet?
Will that work? It will bind it, but I'd probably be sacrificing crispiness. Is that the state of practice with current theory? There does seem to be a trade off in binding versus crispitude.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 12:43 AM

"I could rethink the process by, say, putting the hash in a baking dish, baking it long enough to dry it some, and then broil it to get a crispy top. That might work."
You will not like the results

UNLESS, you want your hash to be very loose, as I prefer, you add NOTHING to it.
It takes a goodly, I repeat, goodly, amount of time for even the driest canned hash to cook off moisture it is canned with.
Even in a very hot pan , it will take longer than you expect.
AT the same time, it can go from , **** this is taking a long time -- to -- OH shite, I should have watched it closer -- suddenly , depending on brand.

When I add eggs to my hash I always cook them separately ,even if they are in the same pan, and then combine them; some times I will cook them separately, totally, two pans, and just set the fried eggs on top off the hash.
If you add raw scrambled eggs to it, STILL, cook it for a goodly amount of time before adding the eggs as you have to cook the moisture out of hash to a level YOU like.
You will probably NEVER get a burger type patty but you can get it tight and dry so it does not fall out of the bun like a loose meat sandwich.
I have been eating hash for as long as I have eaten something beyond baby food, or about as long as I have been drinking coffee.

RR
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 04:57 AM Thread Starter

Bob, I think you need to do a YouTube video about this. Do it for humanity. Don't die with these secrets. You may be the only one who knows.

Last edited by conan the librarian; 11-24-2019 at 05:20 AM.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 06:02 AM

Crisp it first, the pour in the beaten egg?

Come quickly, Lord Jesus
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 07:42 AM

I just fry the corned beef hash in the frying pan. I still it not as a patty, until brown. Then put it on my plate. Fry 3 eggs and put them on top and eat it all together.

Jees you guys make everything so complicated. How hard is it to fry something?

Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE, Trump for 2020
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 07:45 AM

my favorite way to eat it is to fry it with a couple scrambled eggs and a bit of cheese and put that on biscuits and ladle on some sausage gravy. Was shown it that way in the service down in VA years ago and its still my favorite

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 08:22 AM

Sounds dandy, some of us enjoy the process of creation in the kitchen, for some it is fuel for the furnace, for many it varies.
Heard a guy write once that his taste buds were so sensitive he could be food editor for Guns and Ammo Magazine.
best wishes

Come quickly, Lord Jesus
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 08:49 AM

Wow Lloyd, that sounds like the breakfast recipe of the year! All my favorites - eggs, cheese, hash, biscuits and gravy, rolled into one! Have to try that sometime.

Conan: Hash was never meant to be a pattie! If you want a pattie use sausage!!! Next thing you know you'll be trying to make a bacon puree!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page