French press coffee - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Default French press coffee

Our Mr. Coffe-like coffee maker died and we replaced it with a French press. I like it, and prefer it. Now that a lot of the supermarkets offer a machine for grinding coffee beans, it's particularly good. French press grind is coarser than normal coffee grinds. I ground some that way, but also tried regular ground coffee and had no problem with it. I don't even heat the water. I just put a couple of scoops of coffee in the press with water and put it in the fridge. Then the coffee is ready the next morning. I drink my coffee cold, so I don't need to heat it. My wife microwaves hers to warm it. Nice.

Evidently we like our coffee mild. The instructions with the press call for using seven scoops of coffee. The scoop came with the press.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 03:27 PM

There used to be an independent coffee house in St. Cloud , Mn that served using a French Press, I liked it.
My cousin gave me a cheap one last Christmas I am going to have to give it a try.

RR
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Making coffee in a French press is just like making it in a Mr. Coffee or percolator functionally. If the flavor is particularly good, it's because of the coffee and the water that's used. The process as directed is to use French press (coarse) ground coffee beans, however many scoops you want to use. Put the ground coffee into the bottom of the jar part of the press. Boil water. Pour the boiling water over the coffee and let it sit for about five minutes. Then insert the press part of the press into the jar part and push it down. That forces the grounds to the bottom and keeps them from floating around in the coffee you drink. Pour a cup of coffee.

I was using one particular brand of coffee (non-foo foo, but good quality) and it was very good. Then the store stopped selling that brand, but their coffee grinder was the same as the one I had been using. I tried a different brand and it's not nearly as good as the first brand I tried. In the future, I'll be buying pre-ground regular ground coffee but in the dark roast that I like. With a good quality French press the grind size isn't as important as maybe for some of the older units.

I usually use cold water to make the coffee and just let it sit overnight to "brew" in the fridge. The flavor is different than the same coffee made with boiling water. Both are good, but they are different.

The press we have is from Target and it looks like this. Not cheap, but very well made and I preferred it to the less expensive models they had on display. It was worth paying extra. I use it daily. We have no electric coffee maker. We do have a stove top percolator, but we don't use it any more.:
https://www.target.com/p/bodum-chamb...s/-/A-14655162

Cleaning the press is more involved than just throwing away a filter. I slosh some water around to loosen the grounds at the bottom and pour them into the toilet just before I need to take a whiz.

Last edited by conan the librarian; 12-02-2019 at 03:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 05:19 PM

I suggested we try a French press coffee maker to my wife several years ago. Um, no, it seems as though we aren't interested in that type coffee maker at all. I didn't put up much of an argument as it seemed like a lot of trouble just make a cup of coffee and I drink multiple cups in the morning.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 05:49 PM

Well I went on line to see what the EXperts say and found two: one is basic and the other is rather fussy.
https://www.illy.com/en-us/coffee/co...a-french-press

https://handground.com/grind/how-to-use-a-french-press

From my coffee making years quality of water does count as does it not being too hot or too cold but I am going to give it a shot tomorrow.
I am going to bring the water to a simmer take it off the burner wait a minute or so then pour it in.

RR
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldandslow View Post
I suggested we try a French press coffee maker to my wife several years ago. Um, no, it seems as though we aren't interested in that type coffee maker at all. I didn't put up much of an argument as it seemed like a lot of trouble just make a cup of coffee and I drink multiple cups in the morning.
I like the French press because it's so easy. Lazy man friendly, but different. The problem may be that coffee culture is so foo foo now that pharmaceutical chemists seem like sloppy workers compared to some of the alchemists who dither over their quest for coffee perfection. My wife and sisters in law went to one foo foo place where the the coffee guy labored for a ridiculous amount of time preparing three cups of coffee. The ladies did say it was the best coffee they ever had.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan the librarian View Post
I like the French press because it's so easy. Lazy man friendly, but different. The problem may be that coffee culture is so foo foo now that pharmaceutical chemists seem like sloppy workers compared to some of the alchemists who dither over their quest for coffee perfection. My wife and sisters in law went to one foo foo place where the the coffee guy labored for a ridiculous amount of time preparing three cups of coffee. The ladies did say it was the best coffee they ever had.
Many say this or that is unnecessary then compliment the cook.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page