Kuerig's new dual coffee maker - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Default Kuerig's new dual coffee maker

Our Mr. Coffee was on the verge of turning up it's toes after about two years of use. It was taking it a little over 30 minutes to brew a 10 cup pot of coffee and sounded about like I would imagine an elephant with emphysema would sound while doing so. The Mr Coffee that preceded this one lasted around two years and just quit. Turn it on and nothing, nada, no workee, so we decided to give up on Mr Coffee. We went to Mr. Coffee after having the same type of service from Quisanart so those two brands were out when choosing a new coffee maker. My wife offered that the new Kuerig that she had seen advertised on TV looked interesting. I did a little internet searching and found that Walmart had dropped the price to $79.00 so off we went to Walmart and picked one up.

It's fast making a 10 cup pot and I decided to check just how fast this morning. I pushed the brew button at 7:05, dressed, went out and fed the birds, got the news paper and was back in the kitchen in 9 minutes. The coffee was made and waiting on me. It's also very fast doing a single cup but I haven't bothered to time it. Now if it will just last over two years I'll be be very satisfied. I also like that it has replaceable filters instead of having to run vinegar through it to clean it like we did with the other two brands.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 01:28 PM

About 6 years ago I bought a single cup brewer on amazon and it said light duty for an occasional cup of coffee.
It's made 1 or 2 cups every morning since and still going strong. The brand name rubbed off years ago.

HEAVEN HAS A WALL, A GATE, AND A STRICT IMMIGRATION POLICY.
H*LL HAS OPEN BORDERS. taken from fox news

DEMOCRATS/ABORTIONISTS SHOULD TAKE HEED OF THE FACT THAT BABIES ARE GOD'S MOST PRECIOUS.

MURDER BABIES AND YOU "WILL" BURN FOR ETERNITY.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldandslow View Post
Our Mr. Coffee was on the verge of turning up it's toes after about two years of use. It was taking it a little over 30 minutes to brew a 10 cup pot of coffee and sounded about like I would imagine an elephant with emphysema would sound while doing so. The Mr Coffee that preceded this one lasted around two years and just quit. Turn it on and nothing, nada, no workee, so we decided to give up on Mr Coffee. We went to Mr. Coffee after having the same type of service from Quisanart so those two brands were out when choosing a new coffee maker. My wife offered that the new Kuerig that she had seen advertised on TV looked interesting. I did a little internet searching and found that Walmart had dropped the price to $79.00 so off we went to Walmart and picked one up.o

It's fast making a 10 cup pot and I decided to check just how fast this morning. I pushed the brew button at 7:05, dressed, went out and fed the birds, got the news paper and was back in the kitchen in 9 minutes. The coffee was made and waiting on me. It's also very fast doing a single cup but I haven't bothered to time it. Now if it will just last over two years I'll be be very satisfied. I also like that it has replaceable filters instead of having to run vinegar through it to clean it like we did with the other two brands.
Unfortunately, you will still need the vinegar, I'm not sure what that filter does but eventually it will ask to descale. We have one of those types at work, I've been at that office for about 2 years, and it was there before me, it's still going strong. That model didn't come with a carafe, so someone ordered one, but it mostly sits unused. There are 9 people in the office, with about 5 that drink coffee M-F, so chances are good that it will last. My home keurig is at least 5 years old, but it rarely gets used.

"Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
~Pericles~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 04:10 PM

If youíre killing coffee makers at the rate you describe youíve got water troubles Iíd guess. Our cuisinart is 12 yrs old. I feed it soft water and descale it twice every time it calls for it. The kuereg is fed only distilled water, Iíve heard they are particularly sensitive to plugging up, itís going on 4 years old now.

I need a kinder gentler machine gun

**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

The Mr. Coffees got regular vinegar treatments as did the Quisinarts and has our previous Keurig. We gave the Kuerig to our son when we bought this new rig. It is a few years old and still going strong. I'm just hoping the filters along with vinegar will keep this one working for years.

Last edited by oldandslow; 12-09-2019 at 10:49 AM.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 01:24 AM

If you want to keep a coffee maker for a long time give it distilled water or water that has gone through osmosis.
I used to go through not cheap makers in a few years, often.
Now they keep on going, BUT one place I make coffee the city water is HEAVY with calcium, so there I still clean it.
I thought it was shot, vinegar did nothing but the woman bought some coffee cleaning tablets, I thought were a waste of money and SHIiZZAAAM they worked.

With the Automatic whizz bangs, it is the circuits that usually go out before the water system.

RR
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 02:08 AM

What about one of those pitcher like water purifiers that target sells? Brita I think. Filter the water through it, then brew. Or drink the water.

I never liked the keurig approach because there's so much disposable waste in packaging the coffee.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 02:43 AM

Brita and other non osmosis filters will not fully remove minerals .
Water softening, osmosis and distilling will.
I have water distiller I got from my grandfather but have not used it yet.
I like the taste of hard water, including high iron on farms.

If your water , has solids that separate if you set gallon jug and find stuff on the bottom, it will remove some of that but not all.
My home town had slightly acidic water that tasted incredible but it did a number on the city plumbing so they put in an osmosis system.
If you soften the new water, it will still give you softer clothes after washing than the straight osmosis system water will, but if you want really nice clothes, wash and rinse them in rain water, NOTHING better.

RR
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 10:26 AM

I'd be interested to know what coffee tastes like made from distilled water. I usually rely on some minerals in the water to give the water character. For example, the water in New York City is surprisingly excellent. They pipe it in from the Catskills. We got a water softener because my wife wanted one. What a miserable contraption. It takes forever to rinse the soap off of me in the shower, and when washing my hands. I don't see any advantage at all.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 10:47 AM

Maybe I need to calm down and breathe a little bit. The Keurig concept is one that I do like because it's dedicated to making one good cup of coffee at a time. Commendable. Have you been using one and are you satisfied with the results to the degree that you want to keep using it? They're obviously very popular and I have considered giving a Keurig machine as a gift.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page