13 Ways You're Ruining Your Non-Stick Pans - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

Default 13 Ways You're Ruining Your Non-Stick Pans

This kind-sorta makes non-stick less the wonder tool too many think it is.

https://www.eatthis.com/non-stick-pan-mistakes/

RR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 11:41 AM

Not a problem for me. I use cast iron.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 12:12 PM

. When my wife passed away 2.5 years ago, I took stock and found some "non stick" pans, so I handed out our old cast iron (Griswold) to family members, figuring I would not cook very much.

Then I realized that I would do more cooking than expected, so I purchased one of those copper colored wonder fry pans. Non skid..eggs & pancakes are supposed to slip right out..no butter or oil needed...HAH ! Butter or oil needed, for sure !

I went looking to replace the cast iron..found a Lodge brand , US made.. The cooking surface seemed rough..but the directions bt Lodge, says that's fine, because the pan is "pre.seasoned"..just wash and use..

It didn't work well for me..so one day I will someday soon, take it out to my blacksmith shop and use my angle grinder to wire brush the cooking surfaces of the pan .

Meanwhile; I got rummaging around in the back of my cupboards, and found a stainless steel fry pan that my wife had squirreled away there..I have hopes for that pan.

No more "non -stick" pans for me...for the very reasons listed in the article Bob linked.

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.. (Gen George S. Patton)

Last edited by ironglow; 01-17-2020 at 12:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 01:26 PM

Non stick is a wonder tool but its not for everything. Information on how to use them properly is easily available. I dont understand why a person who will take the time to learn cast iron won't take a short time to learn nonstick, or stainless for that matter.

Expecting them to work without oil or fat is the main reason for dissatisfsction. Heating them to too high a temp kills them quickly.

They are at their best for delicate foods like eggs and fish. They are only intended for low to medium temps. Medium only if they have stuff in them.

Except for an enameled dutch oven i have phased out cast iron and now mostly use stainless. Lighter. Works better.

Last edited by conan the librarian; 01-16-2020 at 01:30 PM.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 03:52 PM

I think the problem lies in the promotion of the various "non stick" pans. They show people doing all kinds of marvelous things with those pans..while bragging how it is all done without butter, lard or oil !

Perhaps if they were more honest about their product, people would be far less inclined to complain, having virtually nothing to complain about !

If I have to use butter or oil anyway..why should I bother with a non stick coating, especially when that coating whatever it is, can be scraped or burned into the food one is preparing !

I think their promotions instill in customers, expectations which are too high !

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.. (Gen George S. Patton)
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 04:04 PM

Here is a lesson that I will pass on to all of you no charge when you are watching a commercial do not watch what they wont you to see watch what they do not wont you to see in the case of the non stick pans the food is always moving if they are cooking a steak they have tongs on it and has it moving and another thing you can do anything when you cut the camera and re set the show to do what they wont it to do cool down and slide out of the pan. Truth in advertising went out the window years ago. Yes I have tried non stick pans and yes they do stick the only thing that I can cook in mine and not stick is a egg omelet IF note the if I put a little butter or cooking oil in the pan first.

Deaconllb

U S Air Force Korean vet. NRA Member
Fourth fighter wing Kimpo Korea 1952 Fourth but first, the mig killers.
533rd material ,air defence Oxnard AFB 1953-1955
Pastor of the CBCG-Fellowship group Tulsa Oklahoma.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEACONLLB View Post
Here is a lesson that I will pass on to all of you no charge when you are watching a commercial do not watch what they wont you to see watch what they do not wont you to see in the case of the non stick pans the food is always moving if they are cooking a steak they have tongs on it and has it moving and another thing you can do anything when you cut the camera and re set the show to do what they wont it to do cool down and slide out of the pan. Truth in advertising went out the window years ago. Yes I have tried non stick pans and yes they do stick the only thing that I can cook in mine and not stick is a egg omelet IF note the if I put a little butter or cooking oil in the pan first.

Deaconllb
Exactly what I was saying; the commercial plays all kinds of tricks to make the pan look like the answer one is looking for. So, when a person plunks down the $20 + or - he is soon disappointed, since the product does not live up to it's promise..

Perhaps the merchandiser doesn't mind...since I notice that any given "new non-stick" finish doesn't stay on the market very long.

For a while it is Teflon, then another black glaze, then a green finssh, then copper..and now a black glaze with white speckles..

So, I guess it is .."develop a new color glaze..market it however you can..make the big buck..then SCAT !"

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 10:35 PM
TM7

I've been disappointed with old TFAL or Teflon. But my green pan is seasoned well and works perfectly as my dedicated crepe pan.

The newer copper pans work for me very well and cleanup nicely_ _no prob.

But the newer granite stone is a winner. Without seasoning or oils nothing sticks. You can use metal utensils in it, and cleans up with a few wipes. I bought my son a granite stone 10'' several years ago when they first came out and he still hasn't wrecked it.

For me cast iron is great for outdoor cooking and blackening fish or chicken, but no good for ceramic cook tops.
.TM7
.TM7
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 07:10 AM

I suspect that those black glazed ones have those white grains showing, because they are hard material (granite grains?), and are raised above the surface, so they keep the steel utensils from scraping the black portion of the finish.

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 12:35 PM

the Best quality non stick is not gimmicky. Green pans have tremendously high customer dissatisfaction and short service lives. Likewise for ceramic. Best quality is a black finish like the higher end calphalon products.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page