Venison Neck Roast - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Default Venison Neck Roast

Since the shanks came out so good I decided to apply the same recipe and cooking method to a deer neck roast. I will let you know how it turns out in about three hours!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 04:25 PM

It will be delicious. Neck roast or shanks are my favorite.

Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE, Trump for 2020
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Well I forgot to take a picture but it was very good. Everyone was surprised when I told them, after, what cut of meat it was.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 05:23 PM

Neck roasts are delicious! Before the threat of CWD came to the area we used to do bone in neck roasts, now we have to carefully dissect it to avoid spinal fluid and remove the glands in the neck. We've never had a positive here, but it is only about 10 miles to the nearest CWD hit unfortunately... I miss neck roasts!!!

Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the h-ell they please. --John Wayne
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 07:54 AM

pretty easy to bone out in one piece and wrap in string and cook like that. That said they go in the burger pile here.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 11:04 AM

I grind them too.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 11:08 AM

I guess you northern guys donít know about the southern cooking. Like neckbones & rice. Or greens.

Iíd rather eat the ham hocks than the rest of the ham. The hocks are just ham shanks.

Byron

NRA LIFE, Trump for 2020
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorp View Post
I guess you northern guys donít know about the southern cooking. Like neckbones & rice. Or greens.

Iíd rather eat the ham hocks than the rest of the ham. The hocks are just ham shanks.
Ham hocks with rice and pinto beans is one of my all time favorite meals!

Even way before CWD worries we never went with bone in neck roast. We always deboned and either made nice roast or cur it up into chucks for a good venison stew. Now with Florida's new rules all meat has to be deboned to bring it into the state.

CR

A man without a stick will get bitten, even by sheep.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 11:31 AM

Well I havenít hunted out of state in a long time. Except when I lived out of state, so I guess Iím not up to speed on new regulations about bringing out of state game meat into Florida.

But being a old meat cutter for about 20 years, I know how to debone a animal necks vertebrae. And thatís the only way to get all the meat off it. So I guess if you must not cut the spinal cord then you just cut of the neck meat you canít debone and itís a loss.

Byron

NRA LIFE, Trump for 2020
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorp View Post
Well I havenít hunted out of state in a long time. Except when I lived out of state, so I guess Iím not up to speed on new regulations about bringing out of state game meat into Florida.

But being a old meat cutter for about 20 years, I know how to debone a animal necks vertebrae. And thatís the only way to get all the meat off it. So I guess if you must not cut the spinal cord then you just cut of the neck meat you canít debone and itís a loss.
Byron,

We try to get every last bit of meat off the neck we can and we don't leave much. We generally do the gutless method and hang them by the back legs cut backstraps off getting every last bit we can. Then we open the body cavity up at the hind quarters and push the intestines down enough to reach in and get the tenderloins. we then cut off front shoulders and completely debone. Remove all neck meat and then debone the hindquarters. You end up with a lot of prime venison. I generally bag it and put it in a cooler on ice and keep the ice on it till I get back home and can process it. I cut it up as I like it and get rid of any silver skin and such then vacuum seal serving size portions. I trim a lot and clean the trimmings up for stew meat. I don't grind a lot and I don't do a lot of cubing as I love roasted venison.

The new regs make it a pain in some ways and in others it actually makes things a bit easier. Our trip to Kentucky this year we bough back 5 deer deboned and ready for processing. Completely deboned like that uses up a lot less cooler space. I do miss making a good venison pot roast in my huge crock pot with the front shoulder and taters, carrots and onions.

CR

A man without a stick will get bitten, even by sheep.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page