Al's Navy Bean Soup. - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2020, 07:11 AM Thread Starter

Red face Al's Navy Bean Soup.

In 1907 the US senate passed a resolution that bean soup would be on the menu every day in the senate dinning room when ever they were in session.

My self I want pure unadulterated Navy bean soup, Just for the two of us.

I start with two large cups of navy beans dry, sort thru them to remove any stone/pebbles and bad beans. This doesn't seem to be the problem as much today, since they do not pull and windrow beans to be picked up by the combine off the ground.

Once sorted place in a pot cover with water place a cover on the pot and let set 24 hours. I do not salt the water.

I like to start the soaking in the morning so I can make the soup for dinner (lunch to city slickers.) the next day.

Next day drain the beans in a colander allow all the water to drain off.

Place drained beans back in the pot cover with water about 2 inches above the beans.

Set the heat to medium on the range and place covered pot on burner. Allow to cook about a hour, beans should start to be on the tender side.

Remove pot from range drain once again in the colander let all the water drain off.
This breaks down the sugars that cause the gas many people experience.

Place the beans back in the pot once again cover with water about 2 inches above the beans let them simmer on medium heat.

Here is where you add in the ham hocks, smoked or not, chopped ham,Bacon or what ever meat you want with your bean soup. Ham, Ham hocks can be salty.

This is where after about a 1/2 hour of simmering I add seasoning to taste. Every one has different taste, Kare is also on a salt free diet for blood pressure.

This is where Ya’ll that who want a bunch of other things like onion, celery, potatoes, carrots and tomatoes add this stuff.

Let it all simmer another half hour and should be ready for dinner.

This is my version of a one pot bean soup.

If I am cooking for my self I will just add water the second final cook time finish off to get the 2 inches above with some pork broth and a couple table spoons of Liquid smoke.

This is just for me and a few special friends, Kare doesn’t like it that way.

Al

Garden View Apiaries, where the view is as sweet as the honey.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2020, 12:51 PM

Sounds similar to the good old fashioned bean soup Ma used to make.

RR
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 06:35 PM

Al I bought some smoked pork and I will be making some good old bean soup later this week.
You got me hungry.

RR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

Red face

So sorry. I made mine enjoyed it and have since had my first attempt at red beans and rice.

My first attempt at red beans and rice. Cooked with out a recipe the way I wanted for them to taste.

I knew I wanted to make a good amount.

2 cups of rice to start in a big pot, 4 .5 cups of Hot water.

While rice was cooking I cut up a large red onion.

Boss in living room complained the onion smell was strong in there.

Placed onion in fry pan with two tea spoons of butter to cook till translucent.

By the time they reached that point the rice was ready for me to add the onions to it. Turned heat to high side of low.

Added two table spoons of garlic powder, I had forgot to get the real thing.

Would have added about 5 cloves of crushed garlic if I’d remembered.

Rice is now ready for the beans, I used canned kidney beans as that was what was in the cupboard waiting for Kare to some day make her chill.

I used the beans and the juice in and stirred real well. Allowed to simmer to evaporate a little moisture.

Will for go this next time, I feel went to dry.

My daughter says she adds salsa to hers. She uses a brand a friend makes and sells. Do not get it here in Michigan, so I picked up a mild national brand.

Added the whole jar in to the pot and stirred again.

Next time I won’t add the whole jar or maybe omit it and use drained diced tomatoes instead.

Reason? The salsa I felt over powered every thing else in the pot.

Added a palm pile of salt (estimate a table spoon). And stirred again let simmer about 5 minutes and filled a bowl it up.

Kare took a quick taste and declined to eat any said to spicy for her.
OK more for me later. A quick mirco wave dinner.

Now if I were to do more I will add less Salsa.

Al

Garden View Apiaries, where the view is as sweet as the honey.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2020, 09:56 PM

Well Al I did it today.
Put some smoked pork in a pot, added a little powdered Chicken Broth, then added three quarts of liquid Chicken Broth and one of Beef.
Washed off some Pinto, and Great Northern White Beans put them in the pot and let it sit for six hours.
Added a little Liquid Smoke and let it get up to boiling slowly.
Put it on simmer for two hours.
Tastes just like Ma made.

RR
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 02:48 AM

I drained a can of those diced-up Rotella jalapenos, threw that into a pre-packaged red rice & beans mix, fried-up & drained a pound of 85% ground beef and mixed it all together to make a nice near-soup. Was dam-ned good! I actually used two boxes of the red beans & rice mix. I ate all of it, and I was not ashamed...
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvschütze View Post
I drained a can of those diced-up Rotella jalapenos, threw that into a pre-packaged red rice & beans mix, fried-up & drained a pound of 85% ground beef and mixed it all together to make a nice near-soup. Was dam-ned good! I actually used two boxes of the red beans & rice mix. I ate all of it, and I was not ashamed...

I do something similar, I will take two boxes of zatarains rice mix of one kind or another, chop up onions and bell peppers, then add shrimp, chicken, ham, or some kind of smoked sausage, or a combination thereof.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 01:36 PM

My go to -- easy rice -- is to take some hamburger fry it till it is just short of being over fried, drain the grease, fill with water, x amount, or liquid broth, return to boil.
Add some Cream of , you pick the type, soup and then add instant rice.

If one wants to take a little more time, real rice, not instant, is better , to me, but different rice types DO have slightly different flavors.
I have used a very hard to find Black rice that , to me, is fantastic, while Red, or Wild Rice are also unique in flavor.
Different dry seasonings can add their own unique flavor, as will Chiles, and Chile sauces but with Chiles they dominate the flavor.
I have used a lot of Zatarain's and Yellow rice over the years also.

RR
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 07:55 PM

Al your bean soup also made me enjoy something I had not had before.
I had put a bottle of Mill St. Organic beer I got in Canada in the freezer.
Awhile later, I poured my self a bowl of soup and took the bottle out of the freezer; it had been in long enough it was starting to cloud up before freezing.
I have gotten used to drinking beer at room temp. so this bottle of near ice cold beer was a taster's treat I had not had for some time and I never had it with bean soup before.
A marriage made in Heaven.

RR
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 08:36 PM

I must say. I really like my beans. I’m the only one that eats them though. My son will eat half a cup full. They are picky. Just like there mama. Luckily for me she was not to picky about a husband🤓

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page