Pork ribs - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Today, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Default Pork ribs

I was going to make some of Al's bean soup and add some pork ribs but when I went to Sam's I ended up buying a six pound pork roast $1.58 lb and same amount of ribs for $1.49 a lb.
SO I put the roast in a cold part of the fridge and cut up the ribs into singe ribs. There was enough to 5/7 th fill one of those 16 inch long cast aluminum roasters mas and grandma's always used.

I filled the roasert with Beef and a little Chicken broth till the ribs were almost covered. I went to the store to get more broth as I used all three quart boxes I had.
I found a thing I first read about years ago; I always check the contents of those broth boxes as some of the high buck ones have more non-broth stuff than some of the low priced ones.
I found the lowest priced, Fresh Thyme brand, by a dollar one had least additives than all but one of the higher priced ones; they had a new one in a glass jar that was foo-foo priced but had mostly Beef Broth so I though I would try it.
Took them home cracked them open and tasted each; yup the high priced one had a stronger beef taste but not to the point of four dollars more taste.
Anyway.
I added some seasoned salt, several other spice mixes I had sitting in the cupboard for years, a LOT of MSG and a chunk of dry Beef Broth.
Boiled it hard at first than aT A simmer boil for three hours.

Now usually when I cook pork ribs, I will set it out on the unheated porch in winter for the grease to harden, and end up with a solid layer of approx. 3/16 inch of lard, some times more and usually the price of the ribs determines thickness of grease.
Well these were top quality as there was not even an even layer of grease and the thickest was less than 1/8 inch thick, although before I put it out on the porch I had a bowl of soup with ribs.

DARN GOOD.
I ate about eight ribs, with some juice then took a bunch out a mixed them with a jar of "organic" sauerkraut, took what was left added some more Beef Broth and then mixed up some hard dumplings.
UUUUMMMM-UUUMMMM GOOOOD.

RR

Last edited by Bob Riebe; Today at 06:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Today, 08:48 PM

You probably sucked down that quarter inch of fat with your soup and ribs... I am not at all fat intolerant by the way...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page