Family Restuarants - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2020, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Default Family Restuarants

I took the other half to a doctor's appointment early this morning, which was very short so we went out to eat at the Copper Kettle, a long time family style restaurant, i.e. privately owned but similar in concept to Perkins, though the new owners no longer do the baked goods.
Well the food was good but prices were high.
I had a 8 oz. hamburger steak, hash browns and three eggs with toast -- 14.59; the cheapest, in the menu -- eggs with x, y or z -- was Two Eggs, hashbrowns and toast, 12.49.

Now I did not see the breakfast specials advert. at the end of the table but even there they were all 9.59.
The coffee, 2.25 was old school Minnesota brown, extremely weak , not worth even 1 dollar.

The food was good enough I probably would go there again, hamburger steak was just he way I like them fried hard on the outside but not dry, but I am still shocked at their prices.
It does have new owners, which is good, as when the old ones had it we had stopped going for a long, long time.

RR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2020, 07:37 PM

In Tulsa we have a Jimmies Egg and they are also scattered around town as well as Broken Arrow and Muskogee. I dropped in to the one in Muskogee Oklahoma after my VA appointment and as I had to fast for my lab work, after finishing with doctor I stopped in to the one in Town and Cheese omelet, hash browns and toast with coffee was almost 11 dollars. My son and I stopped at a Ihops for breakfast and he had steak, eggs, toast and coffee I had cheese omelet, hash brown and coffee 25.00 with tip. It really is expensive to eat out now. I took a lady friend to the Santee stake house she had a small steak and bake potato I had a burger and fries and with tea 30.00.

Deaconllb

U S Air Force Korean vet. NRA Member
Fourth fighter wing Kimpo Korea 1952 Fourth but first, the mig killers.
533rd material ,air defence Oxnard AFB 1953-1955
Pastor of the CBCG-Fellowship group Tulsa Oklahoma.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2020, 07:59 PM
Banned

Exactly why we seldom go out anymore. Besides the high prices you also have to worry about getting ptotaime poisoning. The cleanliness of restaurants just don't do it for me anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2020, 08:13 PM

We seldom eat out anymore either just because it's so expensive. Around here most of the family restaurants have closed up - I think they priced themselves right out of business!

The ones that are left never seem to be crowded. They do a decent business on weekends, but even then there are always tables available.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2020, 08:32 PM

Cracker Barrel you have to wait...
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2020, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

In Brownton, Minn. a town of a whopping 762 people there are no restaurants, in the family style, but down town is an old, think 1950s light brown brick one story brick rectangular building that does not fit the style of the rest of the town, although it looks a lot like a lot 3.2 bars that were built in small towns.
Not attractive but better than the glorified pole barn things they build now.

It is the only surviving restaurant.

I have been told the is an old oriental women but she knows how to cook.
They have a German food night twice a month and I have been to a fair number of German restaurants, which we still have a fair number of in Minn.
This one is about the best I have been to.

I was there one night when they had tacos on the menu, a rare event, fantastic.
The prices are lower than the "family" restaurant we just went to .
Import beer is 5 bucks a bottle, and you get a free shot of German schnapps after the meal.
I had never had a Cherry Schnapps before; I many buy a bottle.

RR

Last edited by Bob Riebe; 02-24-2020 at 09:52 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2020, 08:59 PM

Gun Cabinet

I took my 3 wonderful grandsons to IHOP for breakfast a while back. Luckily, my military discount helped keep the bill under $45.

They are 9, 10 & 11. Our local Cracker barrel gives military a 20% discount. But, I was out of town with my little guys.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 02:56 AM

I do not go to "family restaurants." Too many families in them that let their idiot kids run wild. My mom and dad did not take us to restaurants until my younger sister was about six-- old enough to know how to behave in public. I would have been around nine. I learned public behavior by going to Mass every Sunday when I was about six; I turned six in December 1963. Today's parents seem to have no idea that other people do not want their dinner out to be ruined by a screamin' kid four tables over...
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 09:26 AM

We usually get 2 or 3 gift cards for restaurants at Christmas time. That's about the only time we eat an evening meal out. We do lunch once in a while but that's it. There was a time we ate out all the time. Prices went up to the point we pretty much quit.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

I do not know if it is good, bad or habit but I/we usually go to what I call a family restaurant for breakfast; in the evening we will on special occasions, usually, go to a Supper Club type setting.
I hate to say it but the rest of the time I/we eat out it is at a Mexican or, MOST often a Chinese Buffet .
With Easter coming I/we will be hitting a fair amount of fish fries, or try to although this will be most often with what is left of the neighbor hood gang from childhood at my home town.

RR

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page