Fish Fries - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Default Fish Fries

Well something that is big in Minn., during Lent, is now kaput.

I went to a fish fry last weekend, that used to be fantastic, smelt & Pollock. It had been decades since I was at the one last and it will be a long time before I go back.
Fish was way, way, way over battered and greasy. Pieces were small.
Smelt OK but the most common price for a fish fry up here now is 12 bucks, you expect to get some thing worth 12 bucks.
This would have been the big week, end where with in a fifty mile radius you could go to from three to six fish fries.
From Ash Wednesday till the Friday before Palm Sunday, there are some every weekend some where.

A few years back there was even far more but some stopped.
A few RC churches have one every Friday, in larger towns, and now it seems every restaurant has one during Lent at least. That probably put the hurt on some of the church ones.
In my home town three that used to be are now gone.

Pollock is the standard but some have Bullheads (those draw a LOT of people), Sunfish, or Cod as a second fish.

RR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 03:56 PM

Just about every restaurant or bar around here has a Friday night fish fry. Quality ranges from excellent (Walleye, Perch, shrimp at one of the bars) to terrible (a gob of batter with a smidgen of fish in the middle). All are expensive and come with more fries than fish.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

Most of those here are all you can eat, are yours said same?
Price is equal to most non-fast food restaurants but Culver's , which I just had, is heads and tails best fast food out there, BUT it is not all you can eat.
For 12 bucks you get 3 pieces of cod, a bit higher for Walleye; as good as it is, just niot as nice a deal as all you can eat for 12 bucks.

I am surprised not all of the Church ones put it on line, but if you go to some of the very old school restaurants, laundromat or even garden/yard equip. shops around here they still have cork boards to pin up your event and there you will find fliers for all those within x miles.

Now that in the past few years, with so many of the restaurants having started Friday Fish Fry buffets, they are going to be taking a BIG, BIG hit now that Minn. has shut down all restaurants except carry out.
Ditto for the Legions and VFWs that have them also.
One place is run by elderly people, including waitresses.
It is just an old fashioned family restaurant but they have daily specials; cash only and they close at eight P.M.
All it takes is something like this for them to say , To **** with this -- and close shop.

RR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 07:53 PM

Gun Cabinet

Friday fish is a year round thing here. With everything shut down besides carry out we did our own fish fry tonight. My last pack of bluegills, french fries, coleslaw, and rye bread. Next week will have to be cod unless I can get to the river for walleye.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

― John Wayne "The Shootist"
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 07:56 PM

Gun Cabinet

Decades since you went? Really? Don't think that thinks have changed, including your taste buds? I have a VERY good buddy in Wisconsin that loves the weekly and seasonal fish fries in his region.

My hunting licence cost a **** of a lot less "a couple of decades ago" too. I wouldn't sneeze at 12 bucks for such a dinner. Some people just like to ***** (insert female dog there)

My suggestion....DONT GO BACK FOR A FEW MORE DECADES!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 336ER View Post
Decades since you went? Really? Don't think that thinks have changed, including your taste buds? I have a VERY good buddy in Wisconsin that loves the weekly and seasonal fish fries in his region.

My hunting licence cost a **** of a lot less "a couple of decades ago" too. I wouldn't sneeze at 12 bucks for such a dinner. Some people just like to ***** (insert female dog there)

My suggestion....DONT GO BACK FOR A FEW MORE DECADES!
I won't, there are a LOT of others that could not be worse and from ones I have been to in the past thirty plus years, none were.
One should not have to pull off globs of greasy batter to find the fish, but if that fits your style, I can tell where it will be again next year.

Most are pretty good, a few excellent, but some of the best have stopped.

RR
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwoodneil View Post
Friday fish is a year round thing here. With everything shut down besides carry out we did our own fish fry tonight. My last pack of bluegills, french fries, coleslaw, and rye bread. Next week will have to be cod unless I can get to the river for walleye.
We have places here too, that every Friday is fish nite, but some of the Church ones are the ones that people eagerly wait a year for.
Two weeks ago, we went to one that was well spoken of but when we got there , the sign on the door said, "Out of fish.".
I asked some people leaving how it was and they said it is always good but this year they did a really good job.
They drove 40 miles to get there.

Others were pulling as we left; we went to an old stand-by a few miles away out in the boonies, a restaurant, that does it every Friday and told the waitress that the one we came from was out of fish.
She said that is not uncommon with that one.
The quality of the fish from her place can vary from mediocre to excellent all in one night, but usually is not bad.

RR
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 10:46 PM

Around here, it's 10 bucks, all the fish you can eat...

Some are better than others, but there's plenty of good ones.

DM

Lincolns legacy is, he freed the slaves

Obama's legacy will be, he freed the terrorist!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 11:12 PM

Local VFW has an excellent Friday night fish fry. Sit down and all you could eat cod, or nice sized takeout dinners.

Last Friday they had set up the dine-in tables but a big jump in Michigan coronavirus cases caused the Governor to close restaurants and large gatherings. We did takeout.

Big jump in Michigan cases today, in part due to increased testing capacity, so we passed on the takeout. Social distancing may be the best tool we have to control coronavirus infection rates, but it's gonna wear thin real soon.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2020, 05:17 AM

vfw and the moose have fish frys every Friday but that is stopped for now. nice thing here is the fish is caught that morning by local commercial fisherman. Some bars had them too but there all closed. I have tons of venison left but not one pack of fish. Last night we had fish sticks and mac and cheese. YUM! guess it isn't to bad. 6 months from now it might be beans and rice 7 days a week!

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page