I just discovered some beef sticks, I ordered online before Christmas last year, opened in a the bottom of the junk bowl in the kitchen (a larger bowl where you throw junk, pens, envelopes, change, knick-knacks what ever has no real place to be) that was opened.
No mold, at least not big enough to see.
So I ate them.
Now my taste buds are mostly gone, nowadays, so I taste mainly sweet , sour and spicey with what normally would be called after-taste (sadly does not stop me from eating more than I really should, including a couple of dozen chocolate chip/ pecan cookies I baked),
Well first one, now I can still sense the off taste of moldy bread, etc. and I tasted a bit of off taste, so I trimmed the ends off which looked a bit too grey, and at the other six.
Not bad and I still could taste the slightly spicy heat.
I wonder if moldy food kill viruses.
Due to how quickly Walmart bread molds, I have eaten a fair amount of slightly moldy bread this winter.
I figure if it does not hurt the squirrels that eat it, though if too moldy, even they let rot away, it isn't going to hurt me.