Deer burger my way - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-21-2020, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

When mine are just done I use mayo and mustard and they are fit for a king...

Make America great. Steel for the wall so we donít need cannons to shoot these turds back across the border...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-21-2020, 09:01 PM

We eat a lot of venison at our house. I spend a lot of time trimming fat and silver skin then add 20% pure white pork fat to the grind. I find it makes great burgers that way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-21-2020, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodbridge_30-30 View Post
We eat a lot of venison at our house. I spend a lot of time trimming fat and silver skin then add 20% pure white pork fat to the grind. I find it makes great burgers that way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Some put thereís on the inside. Some put thereís on the outside. Whatís the dif?

Make America great. Steel for the wall so we donít need cannons to shoot these turds back across the border...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-22-2020, 05:00 AM

you don't have any kids do you?

BLUE LIVES MATTER!!!!!!!
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-22-2020, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

Since I have strong genetics my children are highly intelligent and very athletic. Yours?

post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-22-2020, 11:56 AM

I've always trimmed, ground, and frozen it pure. As others have said, I use it plain in tacos, chili, spaghetti, etc, anything in a simmering sauce. But for burgers, meatloaf, shepherd pie, stuffed peppers, and anything else generally made with ground beef, I mix it 50/50 with the 73/27 ground beef. I mix it well and add salt, pepper, and Lawry' seasoned salt. The abundance of fat in the cheaper ground beef makes up for the dryness of the venison.
My kids are all grown and my wife passed away last fall so I don't have to disguise the venison any more but, I still find myself using the same techniques. Old habits truly are hard to break.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-22-2020, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maw555 View Post
I've always trimmed, ground, and frozen it pure. As others have said, I use it plain in tacos, chili, spaghetti, etc, anything in a simmering sauce. But for burgers, meatloaf, shepherd pie, stuffed peppers, and anything else generally made with ground beef, I mix it 50/50 with the 73/27 ground beef. I mix it well and add salt, pepper, and Lawry' seasoned salt. The abundance of fat in the cheaper ground beef makes up for the dryness of the venison.
My kids are all grown and my wife passed away last fall so I don't have to disguise the venison any more but, I still find myself using the same techniques. Old habits truly are hard to break.
We all have our own ways. Nothing wrong with that. Sorry about the wife. I sure depend on mine...

post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-22-2020, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule 11 View Post
We all have our own ways. Nothing wrong with that. Sorry about the wife. I sure depend on mine...
Thank You Mule 11. She kept me plumb for 40 years.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-30-2020, 06:04 PM

I grind a lot of deer burger. Age my carcass in our walk-in cooler for about a week, then grind with 20% beef fat that I hand select for quality.
Last year I ground six doe deer. All my deer are cleaned immediately, washed-out good, and hung to age a little. At my club, I can shoot a deer and have it skinned and gutted and in the cooler in under 45 minutes. That includes travel time back to the clubhouse. It is no secret that meat that is clean and quickly cooled will always taste better.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-01-2020, 01:06 AM

For cooking purposes i pick all fat, blood, tendons and as much silver skin as i can off of it grind and freeze. For burger meat i do the same but grind about 5 pounds of bacon to add to 15 or 20 pounds of venison. Makes burgers so good youíll wanta smack yer grammaw.

"Let's bring back the good old GBO. where the men were men & the sheep knew it!"
----------------------and the women glad of it--------------------------:

-----------------"How d'you Expect to Die if ya Dodge Everything?"--------------------

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page