Graybeard Outdoors banner
C

Reaction score

Marketplace Rating
(5.0 - 1 review)

Profile posts Latest activity Discussions Buy & Sell Reviews About

• · Super Moderator
    7,245 Posts
    Did you get a PM from me regarding the later version of Artillery for the Land Service?

· Registered
    1 Posts
    Hi

I don't know if you can help me or not, but I'm very interested in a post you made back in Dec 2009, to a question about Cannon Flintlocks. In it you mentioned that you had a copy of a manuscript by a RN rear admiral, dated 1843, regarding gunnery practice on HMS EXCELLENT. It contained a sketch of a lock, including its internal parts, which you very kindly attached later to the forum.

I would love to know where you found the manuscript and if you still have a copy of it and have a clearer scan of the sketch of internal parts.

I've recently developed an interest in Cannon Locks after finding out that my Gr-G-G-Grandfather, who had joined the Royal Navy in 1825, attended HMS Excellent in 1835, 1837 and then in 1840, when he became a Gun Captain and saw action in Syria in 1840 at St Jean D'Acre and Sidon.

Kind regards

Mike Jones

· Registered
    650 Posts
    John, you had indicated that the package with the thunder mug was due to arrive on a certain day. I just want to make certain that it did actually arrive so I can close the matter. Also, are you satisfied with the T Mug?
    Bob

· Registered
    2,115 Posts
    Hello John,
    I need your shipping address for the package. No sure where you want it sent.
    hanks,
    Dom

· Registered
    2,115 Posts
    Hello John,
    I received your payment and will ship your cannons tomorrow by FedEx.
    Thank you!
    Dom

· Registered
    5,656 Posts
    Hi, it was under visitor messages. ?? No matter. Send to

Springfield.arsenal@verizon.net

Ellsworth isn’t much in demand among collectors, I think a perfect tube with all orig breech might bring $10-15k, just a gut feel. Fair tube without breech maybe $4-6k, being generous.

John

· Registered
    4,424 Posts
    John,
    I have been contacted by someone who believes he has an original Ellsworth gun. Barrel only.
    It's in pretty rough shape but looks like the real thing to me.

Could I possibly get you to look at some pictures and give me your opinion?
    This guy bought it from someone who had it leaning against his house for 60 years.

The gun is here in Texas.
    If you would give me an email address, I will forward the pictures he sent me.

Isn't the Ellsworth the Holy Grail of cannons?

Thanks,
    Michael
    Zulu
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…