New Rifle - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Default New Rifle

I'd been considering a .25-06 recently but when I saw this .257 Wby and compared ballistics I had to have it. Put the VX2 on it today, range tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0124_1517016225659.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	834.9 KB
ID:	199146  

Lester

"My greatest fear is that when I die my wife will sell all my hunting and fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 09:38 PM

Nice, nothing beats a new gun. Send a range report after you poke holes in paper.

Specklebelly

Do you know Lee Ann Rymes? Oh wait, no it doesn't.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 09:57 PM

I just ordered a ultra lite weight weatherby 257 mag. I so happy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 06:35 AM

don't have one right now but had 3 of them. NOTHING wacks a deer under 300 yards like a 257wby using sierras or bts. Jerks there legs right out under them like the hammer of thor.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

What a nice shooting rifle! Took 6 rounds to get it sighted in at 100 yards using hornady 90gr GMX factory ammo. It was a little windy so groups were about 1.5" and it was pretty cold out so I was rushing just a little. On a calm, warmer day I'm confident I can get it sub moa. Had a .30-06 7600 carbine and a muzxloader shooting 100gr of black horn and the Weatherby's recoil was noticably less than either. Really looking forward to shooting it more and seeing what it can do at longer ranges!

Lester

"My greatest fear is that when I die my wife will sell all my hunting and fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it"
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 10:56 PM

That round has intrigued me. I've heard it is one of the finest Weatherby cartridges, making the most of the extreme velocity while not killing on both ends. High cost of ammo has made me balk... so far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Got some Weatherby Select ammo, their cheapest load, with Nosler 100gr spitzers. The bullet looks like your run of the mill cup and core pointed soft point. Box says MV 3500fps. $35/box on sale at Midway, free shipping. Very happy with this ammo. 3 shots to adjust to 3” high at 100yds. Let it cool 15 minutes, the next 3 were right there and a quarter could touch all 3. Once I see what it does to a coyote I’ll post a report.

Lester

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2018, 05:56 AM

Ive shot probably 30 or more deer with my 257s using the 100 grain nos ballistic tips. Ive had dead right there shots at out to 500 yards with that bullet. Only downside is when your shooting at less then 300 it does a lot of damage if you hit somewhere you don't want to. But put them in the rib cage and all you loose is a little bit of burger meat off the ribs which is a pain to bother with anyway. basically it allways seemed to me that the 257 whacked deer about the same as a 2506 at a 100 yards further. Roy Weatherby killed all kinds of dangerous game with it when it first came out. I don't know about doing that though. I think elk is about the biggest animal id use it on and even then would prefer a heavier bullet. But like I said, NOTHING whacks deer any harder then the 257. Even the various 7 and 30 mags don't seem to do anything the 257 wont. I did come to prefer a bit heavier bullet in the 257 though. My favorites were the 115 ballistic tip and the 117 flat based sierra. They can be pushed to the same velocity as a 2506 will push a 100. What you gain with them is a better chance (not allways) of an exit wound if your out at 300 yards or further. But that said I haven't had to track but a hand full of deer that have ran out of the field shot with the 257 and even then if they made it out of the field they didn't go far. Pretty hard to run very far with your innards turned to jello!

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!

Last edited by lloyd smale; 05-05-2018 at 06:02 AM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lester View Post
Got some Weatherby Select ammo, their cheapest load, with Nosler 100gr spitzers. The bullet looks like your run of the mill cup and core pointed soft point. Box says MV 3500fps. $35/box on sale at Midway, free shipping. Very happy with this ammo. 3 shots to adjust to 3 high at 100yds. Let it cool 15 minutes, the next 3 were right there and a quarter could touch all 3. Once I see what it does to a coyote Ill post a report.
Lester, is your first name Jerry? Or are you related to Jerry Lester?

Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE, Trump for 2020
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 10:50 PM

had to shoot a elk through back hips. using the nosler partition 120 gn. went through breacking the ball joints both sides. left large exit hole. large hole for blood trail but he went down there. he would have bleed out quick enongh but I did the mercy shot that did it. scored 340. they shoot always through deer tail to brisket. every time. if I was going up to grizz I would use my heavy gun, 30-06..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page