Ideas for a 25-06AI build - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

Default Ideas for a 25-06AI build

I am looking at building a 25-06AI with a 1581 XL Surgeon Rifles action, and a J Allen chassis. I cant decide on a barrel since I am looking at a 1-8 twist. I am wanting to use 131 Blackjack Ace bullets or other similar heavier bullets. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 06:45 PM

Default Per Mr. Ackley...

Parker Ackely was a trained engineer and wrote from much learning. He did it all with a shortened Krag case in .25 caliber with "standard weight bullets" and the only excuse for the .25/'06 was the wide availability of cheap cases while Uncle Sam used the.30/'06 as the military round. No more. Now if you really want only heavy bullets, Welllllll... I hate to say it, but the .284 WCF Case has a tremendous rep. Same powder capacity and you can use a shorter, stiffer action. I had a buddy who built a couple dozen 6mm/.284's and when he would shoot one testing, some friend would see it shoot, shove money at him and he would have to build another. (He dipped cases full of IMR 4350 and steated a bullet, varmint weight bullet. Told me velocity per a Chrony was around 3900 fps. Gave me the empty cans. I am a packrat.). I am afraid that the shorter powder column and the sharp shoulder have something to recommend themselves. Mr. Ackley wrote me that a tight bore would last longer and with the sharp twist you will need... I would be inclined to stainless and a big name. Lilja? I am not fond of the shallow rifling. In the back of Gun Digest there used to be a directory of the major suppliers. Or benchrest.com has ads. Best of luck. I don't think this is for prairie dogs so you should be able to live with the barrel life. Another story, he told me he knew of a man who loaned a rifle --6mm/284r-- out for load development. It came back with the bore "crappy" for about half the length. He thought he would shoot up his reloads before re barreling. It shot as good as it ever did and he skipped the rebarrel. ?? Work for you? No idea. Luck. Happy Trails.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 05:43 PM

I have a 25/06AI 1:10 twist that shoots 100gr barnes at just under 3500fps from a 26", love the round.

I'd look at the barrels Blackjack sells, and personally since it's not mainstream yet I'd go with the cheaper x caliber 1:7 twist just to see if it's worth messing with, and it'll get you a bunch of brass formed in a barrel that's not crazy expensive.

Doug
.................................................. ........................................
Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 12:26 PM

Only AI I ever owned was a 280AI. I have and love a 25-06. I suggest you pick a 26 inch barrel if you wish to gain more velocity.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

26" is the shortest I would go. Probably stay with a 28" for starting out. Has anyone tried the Wolf Precision Chamber Cylinder. sounds a little interesting in the fact that you can change the barrels without messing with head-space or having to cut separate chambers.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 09:51 AM

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitcoin84 View Post
I am looking at building a 25-06AI with a 1581 XL Surgeon Rifles action, and a J Allen chassis. I cant decide on a barrel since I am looking at a 1-8 twist. I am wanting to use 131 Blackjack Ace bullets or other similar heavier bullets. Any ideas?
It is refreshing to see someone think outside of the box. I am sick to death of hearing about the 6.5 Creedmoor.

The longest shot that I have ever seen made on a coyote was from a 25-06AI. It was just a standard red pad, tang safety, heavy barreled Ruger in 25-06 with a AI reamer applied to the chamber. The coyote was curled up on the half mile fence line when JR lined up on him across the hood of his truck sitting in a field driveway some 880 yards away. The coyote never woke up from his nap. I got to observe though a spotting scope from on top of a hill 3/4 of a mile away. I think my jaw hung open for a half an hour! His load was a full case of H4831 and a Speer 87 gr hp... 3-400 yard running shots where common place for that shooter with that rifle.

The ballistic coefficient that you are talking with the 131 Blackjack and a fast twist....well it makes me very anxious to see how this project turns out. I don't know how thick your wallet is but you are starting out with top notch stuff. Sounds like something that John Whidden and Whidden Gun Works should be playing with.

Good luck with your project which ever way you go with it and keep us tuned in for a play by play.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitcoin84 View Post
26" is the shortest I would go. Probably stay with a 28" for starting out. Has anyone tried the Wolf Precision Chamber Cylinder. sounds a little interesting in the fact that you can change the barrels without messing with head-space or having to cut separate chambers.
I didn't know such a thing was available. Looks like a solid idea.

Doug
.................................................. ........................................

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Has anyone done a Remage Conversion to any of their custom guns?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 02:21 PM

My 25/06AI is actually a Remage. I have several other barrels also I like them

Doug

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Does anyone have a detailed spec drawing of a 25-06 AI 40 degree?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page