17 Hornet what do you think? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Default 17 Hornet what do you think?

This is just a curiousity thread, not really serious just yet, but I am considering buying a 17 Hornet strictly for groundhogs.

Looked a little into the CZ527, and grazed the surface on the Savage offering.....Savage sort of turned me off after my "B Mag "experience.

So, what do you guys think? Is it worth it, or just stick with my Marlin 17HMR? Or possibly one of you know of a really good choice in a very accurate rifle in the 17 Hornet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 11:04 PM

I am intrigued of the idea of a 17 hornet. I was thinking of getting a 22 hornet barrel for a encore or contender.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 05:19 PM

I've got three .17 Ackley Hornet barrels for TCR-87 rifles and think a .17 Hornet is a caliber a varmint hunter should not be without. I've shot several coyotes with mine and one was just over 200 yards as was the one fox I got with them. I also have gotten more than a dozen raccoons and three bobcats. My last .17 Hornet barrel is 18-1/2 inches and has a suppressor on it. The short length only lost less than 100 fps and is much quieter than I expected as the cartridge uses so little powder and the sonic crack of a .17 caliber bullet is much less than that of a .22 caliber bullet. Also, I have a nice Anschutz rifle in .17 HMR but haven't used it since I got my first .17 Hornet barrel. A .17 Hornet sighted in to hit a little less than 1-inch high at 100 yards hits less than 1-inch low at 200 yards. I've only shot one groundhog withit as they are not too numerous where I live. It was a couple feet in front of wooden steps of a friend's rental house and there was no exit hole to bloody up the steps or bullet fragments to damage them. Fiinally, with the much higher velocity of the Hornet compared to the HMR, there is significantly less wind drift.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 06:44 AM Thread Starter

The 17 Hornet seems to be a close relative of hens teeth here in Pa. Ive looked around at the gun shops but no one seems to have one so far. Im sure I will come across one sooner or later, and trust me, your little praise of the cartridge is keeping my interest there.... Thank you
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 07:11 AM

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!

I had a 17WSM in a Ruger 77 for a while and really liked it for shooting coyotes in settled areas. The only reason that I went with it over the Hornet version was because a small community just west of her had a coyote problem. It is my opinion that they had a coyote problem because they also had a groundhog problem. Those coyotes were preying on the groundhogs. The town council decided that they would let me come help eliminate both pests. However they being clueless decided that since it was a settled area that I needed to use a rimfire.

In my opinion it was den full of 3/4 grown coyote pups that found easy targets of the ground hogs and village cats. The first evening I saw 6 coyotes parading down a fence line. That week I killed 4 of them and only 2 groundhogs. I figure momma and the other two pups found it wise to relocate.

The WSM had no problem anchoring coyotes out to 150 yards and anything the WSM can do the Hornet version can do a little better.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page