And so it happens ....what to do? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

Default And so it happens ....what to do?

A good friend. Slightly older than me called today and jabbbered for thirty or forty minutes. Among the things he mentioned was he was thinking of getting rid of some stuff... including some guns...an he remembered I liked his pump 22. What actually happened was I told him it was a reasonable valuable gun. I only knew this cause it's exactly like one my son inherited from his grandfather ,(my wife's father) it's a Winchester model 61. Not uncommon to see them at a 1000 or more. Well, while I would like to have the gun just to remember my friend by...I'm not going to cheet him, and I'm not really wanting a thousand dollar 22. (Already have three nice 22's)..
he said he bought it used when he was 17 years old (he is 68 now). And he paid $35 for it. So he says, I didn't pay much for it and since I would feel good about you having it the deal will be you pay me whatever you want and it will be fine. Welllll , not really (for me)...I wouldn't cheet this guy for nothing ...so .. when he is finally ready to sell....we will have to have a long discussion........ But it made me feel nice that an old friend wanted me to end up with his 22. That's what I liked. 😀😀👍
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 06:55 AM

Tell your friend what you think its worth, then let him set the price. If you make a deal, great, If not there's no hard feelings.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 08:39 AM

Just come right out and tell him you're very honored that he thought of passing on the rifle to you, but you can't afford to pay him what it's really worth. Maybe suggest he have it appraised by a third party - who knows, it may not be worth as much as you think! But, at any rate, have him set the price.

If it were me a lot would depend on what I knew about his financial situation. Maybe he could really use the money, or maybe he's set financially and isn't concerned about the money - only he knows for sure, and that's why he must set the price.

If you can't, or don't want, to pay the price he sets then maybe he has some other special piece of equipment such as a favorite hunting knife, etc you've always admired and would be honored to have instead of the rifle.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page