Graybeard Outdoors banner

6mm Remington info wanted

5K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  dand 
#1 ·
I picked up a Remington model four in 6mm Remington. Don’t know anything about this cartridge either. Rifle is like new, safe queen. Sighted in with Hornady 100gr soft points but would like to find some nosler partitions to feed it.
Tell me about this cartridge? What’s the good and bad? Thank y’all.
peak98

#4 ·
Had one in a Rem model 700 years ago. Shot several deer with it using Rem 100gr CoreLokts and it did the job very well.

It was also dubbed the .244 Remington when first introduced and Remington made the mistake of using too slow of a rifling twist to stabilize the 100 grain bullets like the .243 Win could. They implemented a faster twist and renamed it the 6mm Rem, but by then the .243 had a big head start and the 6mm's fate was sealed.

#5 ·
As was said, had Remington given it the right rifling to start with it would be as popular as the 243. Not much factory ammo but a reloader would love it. PM me if you ever decide to sell it, I've been looking for a pump or semi auto Remington 6mm.

#7 ·
Thanks gentlemen, I was looking for a Remington or Browning semiauto in 308 or 243 when I ran across this one. Picked it up cheap and will try it out this season.

#12 ·
my old 6mm rem classic was my first bolt action gun and will never leave my hands to they plant me. Its killed a dump truck full of deer. Did it with sierras, speers, honadys and even factory corelocks. Its a deer rifle plain and simple and no partitions or barnes x bullets are necessary . Matter of fact they probably wont kill as well as a cup and core bullet. For the price of 50 partitions or x bullets you can probably buy a couple hundred cup and core bullets. what it is is a darned good deer/antelope rifle out to 300 yards. If you want to shoot father or shoot bigger game buy a bigger gun. Don't worry about the stories of barrels with the wrong twist. Very few were actually made. Ive ran across exactly one in my whole life.

#13 ·
Thanks for the feedback, I am shooting factory Hornady ammo now (100gr sp) and have no doubt they’ll do the job. I shot 150gr SGK’s in an old ‘06 and killed deer from 12yds to 470yds. Not one deer ever complained...
I want to shoot a couple with the .243 Partition just to satisfy my own curiosity.

peak98

Reactions: The Old Man
#14 ·
My brother has a 760 in 6mm Rem. He's killed truckload of deer with. It's very accurate as well. He had the barrel shortened to 18-1/2" and left the front sight off because the front sight was getting hung up in the CB mic cord, when he would try to get out of the truck. He still has it and still loves it.

#15 ·
my first bolt action deer rifle was a 700 classic in 6mm and I still own it. Its shot a dump truck full of deer and the finish is in sad shape but to me when I look at it those marks are memories. Heres what I found and it goes for anything from a 250 sav, 6.5 Grendel, to a 257 roberts. There all small caliber rounds. For deer in them I like standard cup and core bullets. In those calibers unless your trying to use your pop gun on something like elk the cup and core bullets ARE the premium bullets. Ive shot deer in most of the small bores 25 cal and under with partitions and x bullets and more times then I like the deer runs off and leaves no blood trail. Cup and core bullets might mess up a bit more meat but usually anchor the deer with a good shot. My favorite bullets are the 100 grain sierra flat base pro hunter, the nos ballistic tip, speer hot core and even the good old factory corelock ammo. If I had to pick one bullet it would be the sierra but the bt is so close its really a toss up. Ive shot deer out to 400 yards with both of those bullets. Now that said 400 is a bit far for a 6mm. 300 is very doable though. That old 6mm has gone full circle. I had it for about 5 years and gave it to dad who killed a pile of deer over about 15 years. He gave it to my nephew who killed a bunch. I got it back from him and gave it to my daughter and she killed a few. The when she had her stroke and her whole personality changed I kind of stole it back so she would do something stupid with it. Since then ive killed probably another 30 deer crop damage shooting with it. That gun has killed probably as many deer and any 5 of my other deer guns.

#16 ·
my first bolt action deer rifle was a 700 classic in 6mm and I still own it. Its shot a dump truck full of deer. That gun has killed probably as many deer and any 5 of my other deer guns.
Thanks for sharing Mr. Lloyd. I’d be interested in hearing a couple of the good hunting stories/shots made with your 6mm Classic. Thanks.
peak98

#17 ·
well i dont know if i should even post this because it pushed what i call an ethical shooting but last year doing crop damage shooting i shot a big doe at 425 yards with the old 6mm. I usually limit guns like that to 300 yards but i was in a box blind with a rest as good as i use to shoot groups at the range and all the time in the world to settle into the shot. Pulled the trigger, heard the 100 grain sierra smack and the deer folded right on the spot. By the time I put the binoculars up to see it laying there another one came out about 50 yards closer and i dropped that one in its tracks too. I hadnt shot anything with that gun in years and saw it sitting lonely in the safe and thought it needed some love. Its one gun that will never leave this house till i die. It could stand a stock refinish and new bluing but to me that would be sacrilegious because that wear and scars tell the story of that gun. Want a comical story about that gun. My daughter wanted to borrow a rifle so i loaned it to her. She brough it back a couple months later with the objective lense of the 3x9 nikon monarch resting on the barrel with the end of the scope at about a 45 degree angle. Seems her husband came home late and drunk again (ex husband) and started pushing her around when they were arguing. She grabbed the gun and clubbed him over the head with it bending the scope. Comical thing is when i contacted nikon and told them the story they replaced it with a brand new prostaff 7. I asked them if they wanted the old scope back and they said toss it in the trash.

Reactions: GuyM
#18 ·
I love hearing hunting stories, and your ex SIL is lucky she just whopped him with the rifle....
I need to get my 6mm out and verify zero prior to our rifle season beginning. Also gonna try and fill a tag or two with a 6.5 Grendel this season.
peak98

#19 ·
I'm my opinion the 6mm Remington is the best .24 caliber cartridge that I ever dealt with. I base this opinion on real use of it and the .243. Even in slow twist .244 guise; it's a bit faster, a bit more accurate, and the brass lasts longer. The .243 won the popularity contest because most everyone thought it takes 100 grain bullets to kill a deer; and the pre 64 m70 was a prettier rifle than the Remington 722.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

#20 ·
i thought the same until i discovered the 240 wby. But it has downsides. Guns are cheap and neither is the brass. But it seems to hit deer with even a bigger difference in power between it and the 6mm then you see between the 243 and 6mm. Especially if your stretching the range out past 300 yards. MUCH closer to a 2506 then to the 243 or 6mm and if your comparing 100 grains loads between the 240 and the 2506 most bullets in the 240 have a better bc and actually fly flatter. Ive always said the 240 is the most under rated and under appreciated weatherby round.

#22 ·
speaking of stories - Your turn Peak - have you connected w a deer or other game w that rifle?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.