Ruger 10-22: Why is it so great? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Default Ruger 10-22: Why is it so great?

OK all, trust me, I am not a troll! I have an interest in semi-auto .22 rifles, and I have owned a few and shot more, including the 10-22 (also Marlin 60,70, HR700, Nylon 66, Browning SA22, a Springfield, and a Colt Stagecoach) . I understand the 10-22 is very popular, and custom 10-22 rifles/parts make it much better. I know a match barrel is more accurate, and a match trigger easier to use, and a wide variety of accessories and options make it more versatile and individualized, etc. But these variations really create a different rifle, just having the original design and dimensions.

I am referring to the basic model you can get a Walmart, or even the factory target models: What engineering features or design make this system so good compared to the others?? Or is it just the custom rifles that are legendary? I'm serious, someone explain it to me, and give me some comparisons if you would. Much thanks.

(my apologies for the flood of responses this will probably generate)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 07:39 PM

Default Re: Ruger 10-22: Why is it so great?

After I performed a trigger job on it, the new 10/22 Carbine I bought in 1971 was one of the most accurate .22LR's I'd ever shot at the time.

IMHO the guns became popular for four reasons:

* The maker (Ruger) was seen as a cutting-edge firearms manufacturer, that was continually introducing firearms very different than the big dogs of the day (and thus eventually became the biggest dog).

* Styling that resembled the (then) popular US M-1 Carbine

* Low initial purchase price, with wide distribution/availability.

* A multitude of inexpensive, DIY aftermarket accessories/upgrades quickly became (and continue to be) available for the rifle.

post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 08:07 PM

The after market parts and hi capacity magazines set it apart from all the competitors. The base price is low and anyone can take one apart and customize it to your liking.

The only thing I don't like is that the bolt should lock open after the last shot. I think the remington 597 does. Not sure why the ruger can't.

All of my favorite creatures have white bottoms.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt.
The after market parts and hi capacity magazines set it apart from all the competitors. The base price is low and anyone can take one apart and customize it to your liking.

The only thing I don't like is that the bolt should lock open after the last shot. I think the remington 597 does. Not sure why the ruger can't.
Correct
It is a platform & the sky is the limit in what you want to do, no other rimfire comes close, that is the reason.
In the 22 you have the 10-22. In a Semi Auto 223, you have the AR, the biggest selling 223 for that reason. In a bolt gun, the M700 is very adaptable & in recent years the Svage and now the RPR. In all of these cases you have a Platform or a Shooting System to alter as you wish, with average components or top quality components, depending on your budget or desire for quality. And that platform or system capability is the difference!

You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 10:50 PM

Location: THE REPUBLIC OF TEXAS or CENTRAL FREDONIAN REPUBLIC
Gun Cabinet

mine is great because it's been such a reliable
firearm, and i paid something like $110.00 in
the early 80's for it. i've more than gotten my
money's worth out of it

The United States doesn't have a gun control problem.
We have a people control problem.

Honor the Texas flag;I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas,
one state under God, one and indivisible.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 06:23 AM

I'm with ranger. I think its best attribute is reliability. Ive have 3 right now and have had a number of other ones and they all just keep on ticking. I know at times ive had 4 or 5 bricks of ammo through them without cleaning and if I could remember id bet that any jam or malfunction that has happened 99 percent of the time was ammo related. The rotary mag that bill ruger designed is in my opinion the best 22 magazine ever made. NOTHING feeds as reliably. There plenty accurate. Ive had a couple that were tack drivers but most are exceptable. They usually wont shoot with a GOOD bolt gun but do as well as the cheaper bolt guns. For a 150-200 bucks you about cant go wrong.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 08:06 AM

WELCOME CRACKO!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracko
OK all, trust me, I am not a troll! I have an interest in semi-auto .22 rifles, and I have owned a few and shot more, including the 10-22 (also Marlin 60,70, HR700, Nylon 66, Browning SA22, a Springfield, and a Colt Stagecoach) . I understand the 10-22 is very popular, and custom 10-22 rifles/parts make it much better. I know a match barrel is more accurate, and a match trigger easier to use, and a wide variety of accessories and options make it more versatile and individualized, etc. But these variations really create a different rifle, just having the original design and dimensions.

I am referring to the basic model you can get a Walmart, or even the factory target models: What engineering features or design make this system so good compared to the others?? Or is it just the custom rifles that are legendary? I'm serious, someone explain it to me, and give me some comparisons if you would. Much thanks.

(my apologies for the flood of responses this will probably generate)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangr44

After I performed a trigger job on it, the new 10/22 Carbine I bought in 1971 was one of the most accurate .22LR's I'd ever shot at the time.

IMHO the guns became popular for four reasons:

* The maker (Ruger) was seen as a cutting-edge firearms manufacturer, that was continually introducing firearms very different than the big dogs of the day (and thus eventually became the biggest dog).

* Styling that resembled the (then) popular US M-1 Carbine

* Low initial purchase price, with wide distribution/availability.

* A multitude of inexpensive, DIY aftermarket accessories/upgrades quickly became (and continue to be) available for the rifle.

I also agree with Ranger.

The time was ripe for this gun when introduced in 1964.

Its 10 round, concealed rotary magazine was unseen in a rimfire and a big part of its popularity. The M1 carbine was a country favorite as ranger already mentioned.

It was designed as a ADULT rifle, not a "kids" gun as so many "22's" of the period where. Marlin was doing gang busters with there earlier produced Model 60. Ruger came in at a close price point and a different design.

Its popularity over the last 50+ years have resulted a a whole industry based off accessories for this one model!

CW

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member

I PROUDLY SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box. and the THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN!
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 07:36 PM

I agree with the other responses.

The ORIGINAL reason for it's popularity was the styling, the extreme reliability (due to the rotary mag), and it's price point.

The reason it CONTINUES to be the most popular are the above reasons, plus it can be made into almost anything by the hobbyist with a fairly low outlay of cash.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 09:46 AM

Accurate, cheap, fun to shoot, what's not to like? Add to that that the average tinkerer can tinker with it to his heart's content, and it's a winner.

Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 10:36 AM

Send a message via AIM to mcwoodduck

The 10-22 is a great little rifle for a few reasons.
It is Inexpensive for the quality
It is a very simple and reliable system.
and with four tools you can take apart the whole gun. (Punch, Flat head Screw Driver, Larger Flat head screw driver, and an allen wrench)
The same tools can make the little rifle from the fun little carbine to a target model.
I have a friend that said he wanted to have a Ruger 10/22 with NO Ruger parts in it.
He bought a standard rifle and slowly changed everything with the receiver being the last part and then had two rifles. One a target model that had a wide variety of different parts and a Stock factory rifle,
I bought my first one 30 years ago. And bought a Target model about 15 years ago and then 10 years ago I added a Stainless Full stocked model.
All of my rifles are still stock. With the Target model only having had a scope and sling added. The Full stock model only has a sling.
The factory sights are good sights and work well for both small game, target, or plinking.
I was shooting with a group in Northern CA were 17 of the 20 guys showing up for the plate shoot had 10/22's. The other three were a Marlin Stainless 60, a Browning Buck Mark rifle, and an AR 15 with a 22 Upper. These same guys that would show up for a silhouette shoot would show up with thousands of dollars invested in Anshults, Walther, and other exotic target bolt action rifles so them bringing 10/22's tells me it was not the low cost that had them buying and using them in the speed plate, I also found it strange that the same guys mostly showed up with Browning Buck Marks for the Speed Plates Pistol months.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page