Ruger American .17 HMR vs. .22 WMR - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 09:58 AM

Gun Cabinet
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singlebarrel View Post
The only problem I had with the 223 was it is loud and I needed something with less power and range. I was concerned about what would happen with an errant shot.
It was a killer, however, with the right bullet.
You got me to thinking..............Load down a bit and suppress...........best of both worlds.

or else...................

God Bless America and Donald Trump !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldshooter View Post
I posted a question here last year, I think. I was thinking about getting a 22 mag. The question was if you had a good 223 do you even need a 22 mag? There were differing opinions but I came to the conclusion that a 223 does everything a 22 mag will do only better.

I like the 17 hmr and thinking of getting the savage auto loader. Just cannot pull the trigger on one yet. But that is beside the point.

So I would go with the 17hmr and back it up with a good 223. Now that's prolly no help at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singlebarrel View Post
The only problem I had with the 223 was it is loud and I needed something with less power and range. I was concerned about what would happen with an errant shot.
It was a killer, however, with the right bullet.
Exactly, the 223 can do most everything the lil Maggie can. You need to massage the 223 into light loads. You just buy 22mag. The 223 is loud, unless you massage them into light loads... you just buy a box of 22 mag. 22mag is limited in its range. So is 223. I find that many times I simply dont "need" the 223. Ill always have one, cause they are great and simply work. But I'll also always have multiple 22 mags. Better is retaliative... Is better rated by range? Better by noiser? Better by popularity? They both work very well within there limitations.

I bought a A22 Savage autoloader last spring and LOVE IT! the forunner was the A17 and it also has a excellent following. I would not hesitate because of the gun. Its a good one!

CW

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member

I PROUDLY SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box. and the THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN!
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 12:50 AM

I had a Ruger American Compact in 17 HMR. I found it to be very accurate and universally hated by ground squirrels. Family matters dictated my move to an area without ground squirrels. I sold it to a friend that I went to high school with. He is making sure that the squirrels are thinned out a bit in the pasture, the Ruger went to a good home. If I ever get to move back to the old stomping grounds, I will likely buy another American in 17 HMR.
FM

Dear God please protect our troops, especially the snipers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 07:36 AM

my ars with a suppressor sound about half way between a 22lr and a 22mag without one. Our of your two choices if your actually hunting for meat id go to the 22 mag. with non hps it wont tear squirrels up. Even a 223 shooting ball wont tear them up like a fragile .17. If you just want to blow em up then a 223 soft point will destroy them and a 22mag hp will do about the same as a 17 up close. Don't know about ammo cost as I have bought any of either in a while. Used to be 22mag was cheaper the 17hmr. right now with the at prices tanked its about as cheap to pick up a cheap AR as a bolt 22 and if you handload no more expensive to shoot. As a matter of fact if you cast and you can load 223 for about what 22lr shells are going for today. Probably wont run the action though but so what. Your shooting squirrels not going to war. A cheap 223 bolt gun might even be the best choice for someone who casts and loads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldshooter View Post
You got me to thinking..............Load down a bit and suppress...........best of both worlds.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!

Last edited by lloyd smale; 01-25-2017 at 07:43 AM.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 10:49 AM

This has diverged from the OPs inquiry but is pertinent because of the reloading CF vs RF. Ive had 3 Hornets, over 3K rounds of mostly cast and three 22Mags. Still have one 22Mag and really like the idea of 'having one around' (it really does as well as my Hornet cast bullet reloads) but if I had a 223 it would cover all the bases with proper 'downloads' and still have top end beans IF I ever needed such. At this point in my life (old guy) Im hunting rarely, pretty much only the occasional varmint control, and shooting for plinkin' fun to keep my hand, and eye, in the game. The 17 has never attracted me, too susceptible to wind (and I have way too much wind too often) for long shots and up close my 22LR are fine. The 22Mag and 17HMR are close in price here and if a 17 dropped in my lap cheap I might give it a go, but I am not compelled to go search one out.

Last edited by gcrank1; 02-01-2017 at 02:35 PM.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 01:56 PM

Have the 17 HMR carbine , absolutely the most accurate rimfire I own . Coyotes within a 100 yards are toast shot thru lungs. Several hogs ( earshot) dead! Ammo doesn't matter it loves them all. Have shot crows at 225 plus.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdfo300 View Post
Have the 17 HMR carbine , absolutely the most accurate rimfire I own . Coyotes within a 100 yards are toast shot thru lungs. Several hogs ( earshot) dead! Ammo doesn't matter it loves them all. Have shot crows at 225 plus.
I have both 17HMR and 22 Mag ammo and trying to decide which American Compact to buy. Coyotes at short range will be the main target and I was wondering how the 17HMR did on them.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 04:06 PM

I just received the Ruger American #8335 in 22 WMR and I LIKE IT! I already have a suppressor so I'm curious about how loud the sonic crack will be. I have about 20 boxes of 22 mag ammo and there's plenty on the shelf of a LGS if I need more. It is a special run of 'heavy barrels' but still a lightweight rifle. I have shot a LOT of ground squirrels in Montana with the 17 HMR and agree it is a great round, but I also like and enjoy having a 22 mag around. This one might get sighted in time for coyotes in the woods behind my house.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page