Model 77/357... - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Default Model 77/357...

First off let me say I love this rifle. With Hornady 158 XTP's, it is devastating on deer at 75 yds. Primarily my young grandsons rifle but I reload and pink with it.

Now to the nuts and bolts. This rifle consistently throws fliers every 3 to 4 rounds. Ammo doesn't matter. Cooling barrel doesn't matter. At 75 yrs, 2-3 inches right and 1-2 inches low. Shimmed bolt, really improved general group size but not fliers. Throw out the fliers and it shoots 1 inch at 75. I'm starting to believe the stock is the problem. Can this rifle stock be free floated and or bedded? Doesn't look like it to me. Only 2 ribs in stock. End could be relieved, but inner rib seems to be part of the bedding. Looking for someone who has experienced similar problems and found the fix. Ruger said send it in...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 12:09 PM

Send a message via AIM to gene_225

/Are the fliers random or are they the same place in the string order? I.e., always the third shot in the string, etc.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene_225 View Post
/Are the fliers random or are they the same place in the string order? I.e., always the third shot in the string, etc.
Usually the 2nd or 3rd. Always to the same point. If I shoot 10 rounds, I end up with 2 nice groupings...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 12:56 AM

Send a message via AIM to gene_225

This may not fit, but could it be a case of the barrel warping so that at the same point in the cycle it bends in to something in the stock and then bends away again as it heats further?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 01:27 PM

Have you experimented with the torque on your action screws? My .357 shot one ragged hole at 50 and 1.5" at 100 yards. I believe I torqued mine to 30 or 35 in lbs.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018, 06:04 AM

two distinct groups is usually a sign of an optics problem. Bedding will usually have a group opening up when the barrel heats up the group will usually slowly change and open up.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018, 07:57 AM

Location: NorthEast, USA...where the snow flies and the wind blows

I had grouping issues when I originally bought my M77-MkII in 30-06. I could only get 2-3" groups at 100 yards. I removed some stock material using sandpaper and a deep wall socket of the correct diameter until the barrel would float all the way back to the receiver. The rifle now shoots 1/2-1" at 100 yards.

Later...I developed a small hairline crack in the original walnut stock (probably during a hunt after falling with it)...but I purchased a Ramline synthetic. I did the same thing before mounting the stock...removed material so it free floated then used Brownell's bedding to bed the action into the stock. The rifle now shoots cloverleaf-3/4" at 100 yards.

I'm not saying this is your issue due to the frequency of the fliers...but it might be something to investigate further. It does sound like the barrel is touching the stock at a single point due to recoil possibly. Check your bolt tightness before/after each shot take a dollar bill and run it down the barrel between the barrel and the stock to see if you have a single point that is touching.

redhawk

The only stupid question....is the unasked one

Not all who wander....are lost.

Last edited by redhawk0; 02-04-2018 at 08:00 AM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by team101 View Post
Have you experimented with the torque on your action screws? My .357 shot one ragged hole at 50 and 1.5" at 100 yards. I believe I torqued mine to 30 or 35 in lbs.
Ruger says 60 in lbs on the front screw, the hand tight on the rear screw then back it off 1/8 turn. And to make sure action is fully seated to the rear of the stock before tightening. About the most a normal man can tighten a slotted head screwdriver is 45 in pounds. Have followed there direction to a tee...

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 03:18 AM

While I can't remember the exact number. I know I didn't torque to 60 in lbs. I'd experiment with it, firing a group after each adjustment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denroark57 View Post
Ruger says 60 in lbs on the front screw, the hand tight on the rear screw then back it off 1/8 turn. And to make sure action is fully seated to the rear of the stock before tightening. About the most a normal man can tighten a slotted head screwdriver is 45 in pounds. Have followed there direction to a tee...

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 08:47 AM

Denroark: a buddy has a 77-357 that wouldn't group worth a darn until he fire lapped his barrel a la Veral Smith, and free floated the barrel. His groups are now small clusters at 50 yds. Fire lapping is a fun exercise that youo may enjoy... Hope this helps. Mikey.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page