Shop cooler/grass waterer - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 05:28 AM Thread Starter

Default Re: Shop cooler/grass waterer

Hatchery where I once worked had several swamp coolers up on the roof. They each had four sides and four bags of excelsior wicking up from a shallow tank fed by a float system. Of course they didn't care how much humidity or condensation they got since the birds needed it. The excelsior bags got changed once a year and were usually sorta moldy, but it felt good to be able to stand underneath and get momentarily cooled.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 04:46 AM

You can also use a cooler for the reservoir. Freeze salt water in bottles. Put in as many as the cooler will hold and have the same amount in the deep freeze to rotate out. Put water in the cooler. Use a pump to cycle the clean water through a radiator with a fan on it. Put a little liquid soap in it to decrease the surface tension of the water. A gallon of windshield washer fluid will also help with the same and keep algae from growing without being corrosive to the copper, brass or aluminum.

Μολὼν λαβέ
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 08:46 AM

Or just get a 110 volt window shaker and not have to do so much work ;D

If ya can see it ya can hit it !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-24-2014, 04:03 PM

Swamp coolers work well in low humidity climats like the desert southwest. Not Florida or the southeast. I was born & raised in Florida in 1945 and all I ever saw used was large fans of one type or another. Even in commercial buildings. Until the 60s when buildings started to have centeral ac units built in them. Our family bought a window ac unit in the late 60s. We mounted it through the wall though.

When I moved near El Paso, TX I learned about swamp coolers. They work well in that climate.

Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE, Trump for 2020
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-24-2014, 04:26 PM

A friend pumps well water across his heat pump system to both heat and cool. The water is 68 degrees to begin with so just makes the pump more efficient.

Where is the ammo?
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 07:21 AM

That is basically what is used in schools here , a water resource heat pump. A boiler and cooling tower combo keeps water at a constant year round allowing heat pumps on one side of the building to operate in cooling and the other side in heat. What it is condenser water as opposed to chilled or hot water.

If ya can see it ya can hit it !
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 11:04 AM

Back in the 60s a West Texas BBQ joint had brush piled up on the roof for shade and had sprinklers spraying the brush. Real wet in the building, and musty smelling, but much cooler than the West Texas sun. ear

"my child looked into my eyes and said do you have any food for me?"

"the seven lean cows ate the seven fat cows"

It may not be about how much wealth you have stored as much as it is about how much food do you have and can you keep the thieves from taking it?
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 09:15 PM

A swamp cooler will work best in areas with low humidity. In high humidity, a swamp cooler may cause a thunderstorm inside your shop with rain running down the walls, not to mention mold.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 06:57 PM

Here in Phoenix Az a "Swamp Cooler" or "Evaporative Cooler" works well and extremely cheap when the Dew Point is below 50*. My electric bill is $225 using the swamp cooler. It can go over $650-700 easily with the "Air Conditioner". Swamp coolers have come a long ways. There is a two stage that dehumidifies the air slightly (stage 1) and then runs the air threw the special 8"-12" wet pad (stage 2) that helps in humid weather. The water is recirculated from the reservoir to inside the dehumidifier(over sized plastic radiator) and over the pad. I have a Master Cool one hp squirrel cage fan and a 1/40 hp pump in mine cooling 2,300 square feet. The average usage is about 4 gallons of water per hour. Wish i had the first stage. I suffer as long as i can before turning on the $air$. That means taking the wife out to eat when its to hot to cook. Like all this week.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 07:17 PM

Off topic. when I was a kid you could spot people that were on a car trip because of the canvas bag of water hanging from the front bumper.
the water wicking through the canvas evaporated which cooled the water.

HEAVEN HAS A WALL, A GATE, AND A STRICT IMMIGRATION POLICY.
HEII HAS OPEN BORDERS. taken from fox news

DEMOCRATS/ABORTIONISTS SHOULD TAKE HEED OF THE FACT THAT BABIES ARE GOD'S MOST PRECIOUS.

MURDER BABIES AND YOU "WILL" BURN FOR ETERNITY.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page