Question about combating strong smells. - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

Default Question about combating strong smells.

Im posing a question that came up at work (maintenance)about effectively combating a strong odor such as spilt diesel fuel.

Just recently I'd been told (at work) I smell strongly of heating oil, though cleaning up as best I could with hand cleaner and swapping out my coveralls the smell remained, I work maintenance so somtimes some of my work smells accompany me, one of my coworkers mentioned in a vague way how a air carrier had used vanilla extract to get rid of the smell after a jet fuel spill, I wonderd is it the vanilla oil that bonds/encapsulates the diesel/kerosene/jet/heating oil smell or a way of useing a stronger aroma to mask a lesser?

Ive used Dawn dish soap to break up oil before, also used diffrent citrus based cleaners as well as simple green, and castrol super clean.

this brings up other questions about home odors and pet odors (cats and dogs), skunk essence?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Default Re: Question about combating strong smells.

That brings up other questions, one like what do you use to get rid of that tomato odor on your skin after gardening, washing does not seem to be that 100% effective.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 02:34 PM

I work with crude oil on occasions and it smells worse than diesel and harder to remove. Ammonia will take some of it out. My brother told me last week he finally found something that will remove it completely but I haven't tried it yet. He was told by one of the oil field workers to use a non-toxic toilet bowl cleaner. These have no acids in the formulation so it's not going to eat the material. He found his at a camping trailer supply house. But like I say, I haven't tried it yet. He said it also works great on stinky refrigerators/freezers and dead animal smells. He couldn't remember the name brand but said it was typical toilet bowl cleaner blue. He uses a couple of cap fulls per laundry load. Might see what you can find in your area like it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 07:00 PM

Location: THE REPUBLIC OF TEXAS or CENTRAL FREDONIAN REPUBLIC
Gun Cabinet

vinegar and warm water

The United States doesn't have a gun control problem.
We have a people control problem.

Honor the Texas flag;I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas,
one state under God, one and indivisible.

* * * * AMERICA * * * *
LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT ! !
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 12:28 AM

Mixture I use to deskunk my dogs:
1/4 cup Baking soda
1 1/2 tsp dishwashing liquid.
1 Quart 3% hydrogen peroxide.
haven't used it on diesel but worth a try. Sure works on the dogs.

What do you mean plan B didn't work and you need duct tape and safety wire?????????
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 01:05 AM

For what it is worth, I would argue that the fuel oil smell is not just on you it is in you.

To the removing or masking odors portion of your querry I would suggest fresh coffee grounds as a very effective masking / absorbing agent. It is widely used in the trucking industry. A load of poultry (dressed) will make a trailer stink period nothing to be done about it the stuff simply stinks. A common cure involves a wash out and then sprinkle a can of coffee on the floor, wait a while and sweep, problem solved. You might also try a generous application of a scent killer spray, fools the nose of those wiley bucks : why not the wife?

**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 09:19 AM

The best way I have found to get rid of strong smells is to outlaw beans and cabbage at the camp ;D
With that bit of wisdom
Try some of the grape based cleaners like Purple Power on the greasers my wife uses it all the time to make my clothes smell nice and clean. Does not hurt the washer either.
George

"it ain';t what you shoot em with......................
it's where you hit em "

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page