Cast Iron Cookware--Why do you not wash with soap? How do you kill bacteria? - Page 8 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-26-2019, 09:47 PM
Dee

Sounds like it need stripping down, sanded, and re-seasoned.

"REPUBLIC OF TEXAS"!
To The Politician: if your not right with God, your not right for this country.
Phil Robertson, Duck Dynasty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-27-2019, 10:13 AM

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
Sounds like it need stripping down, sanded, and re-seasoned.
Agreed.

Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Rifle & Pistol Instructor

Are you an Ohioan that is interested in becoming more active in the fight for your 2A rights? PM me or click here!
post #73 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-27-2019, 01:51 PM

Some of the things that started the industrial revolution.

One was cast iron cookware. It revolutionized cooking for the masses. Before meat was cooked on a spit with open fire. Copper was the cookware if you could afford it. Copper kills vitamen C though.

Another was good china. About the same time as cast iron cookward good china was developed. More durable and could last for years.

Ben Franklin developed the cast iron stove. More warmth, and with a flat top and oven also revolutionized cooking.

Of course the steam engine. (Build from cast iron parts).

Noticed 3 either directly or indirectly affected cooking. Made for healthier meals. Killing germs, not only on cookware, but also not having to eat on wooden plates.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #74 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-27-2019, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiegjr View Post
If you cook with it a long time and it gets a thick crusty coat on the outside from only scrubbing or wiping the inside you can build a charcoal fire and put in it and fill it with charcoal or get it red hot with a propane torch. Look like new after, grey all over. Re season and continue. Makes no difference. ear
I use a safer method and works well. I fill up a large plastic container with hot water and add one tablespoon of Arm and Hammer Laundry Soda per gallon. I take two 1/8" mild steel plates (should be at least 12 inch square or larger) and position them on both sides of the container, connect a copper wire between the two plates with mild steel fasteners (strip some insulation from the wire in the middle), then I take some bare copper wire and connect it to the fry pan (clean an ares on the handle for a good connection), wrap the copper wire around a 2x2 piece of wood (non-conductive) and lower the pan into the solution between the steel plates making sure the pan doesn't touch the steel plates, use the wood 2x2 to suspend the pan in the solution. I then take my MANUAL (non-automatic, non-computer) battery charger and connect the red clip onto the steel plates connecting wire and the black clip onto the copper wire twisted around the pans handle. Plug in the charger and in a few minutes you will see bubbles forming, in about 4 hours UNPLUG the charger (water and electricity don't mix) and check the pan, you may need to scrub it with a brillo pad and reconnect and let the pan "cook" a while longer. This method will also remove rust. Use the method for CAST IRON ONLY, NO Stainless Steel, chrome or nickle because of chemical reaction. Should be outside, produces hydrogen gas. You could search YouTube for "electrolysis restoring cast iron". The solution is non-toxic and can be disposed in your septic or simply poured out.

Last edited by mrallen51; 12-27-2019 at 03:23 PM.
post #75 of 75 (permalink) Old Today, 08:09 PM

I am surprised at the number dudes who are worried about germs.
My grandparents were farmers and both grandmothers houses were spic n span but the in the food preparation, concern about germs and such was never ever expressed.
Wood cutting boards were just washed in hot water, although back then most hot water heaters had extremely hot water.

My dad especially pushed the limit on meat being on the edge of being edible.
I ate some chicken a week or so ago that was not cooked well enough and made me wonder if I should stick my finger down my throat but it finally moved on down the poop shoot after a bit of being uneasy and I am just fine.

RR

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page