Have a combination lock w/o the combination? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

Default Have a combination lock w/o the combination?

To get the odds, 39 digits on the dial x 3 numbers to the combination is 39x39x39, or 59,319 possibilities, but since the last number is unimportant, 39x39 leaves 1521 actual possibilities. And since they aren't that exact, every other number is good enough, reducing the odds by 50%, or 761 possibilities. Then, if you are lucky enough to have the first number to be 20 or less, take off another 50%, which comes out to 380 or so, which is doable.
Here is a way to figure it out; Turn right to zero. Use zero as the next number, turning to the left (you know how that works), then back to the right every two numbers trying the shackle. If you are lucky, it will open by the time you have gone around to zero again. You won't be, so try zero and 2 for the first two, using the same shackle-pulling technique. Then 0-4, ect, all the way around. By the time you have gone through 0-39, it is time to try 2-0- (shackle jerks), etc. Then 4-0- (shackle jerks), etc.
If you get tired of it, write on the back of the lock what numbers you ended with so you can take it up again where you left off. If you get real coordinated, the third number with the shackle jerking won't take much time at all, and you can do it while watching a ballgame or whatever.
I did try youtube (in vain) for a shortcut. So the above got my locks open after having them sit around for years. Beats being bored -but just barely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 09:15 PM

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornbelt View Post
Here is a way to figure it out; Turn right to zero. Use zero as the next number, turning to the left (you know how that works), then back to the right every two numbers trying the shackle. If you are lucky, it will open by the time you have gone around to zero again. You won't be, so try zero and 2 for the first two, using the same shackle-pulling technique. Then 0-4, ect, all the way around. By the time you have gone through 0-39, it is time to try 2-0- (shackle jerks), etc. Then 4-0- (shackle jerks), etc.
What's a shekel jerk?

Can you try explaining this one more time for the intellectually challenged?

Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute. Currently a Gentleman of Leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

Since the shackle is not spring loaded, it might not come open without a little jerk.So for the last number, I just start jerking the shackle as I turn the dial. When the numbers are right, it opens.
I was lucky on both my locks. The first numbers were 11 and 14, so that saved me a lot of tries, even though it took a while to go through all the combinations up to that point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 08:15 AM

This is why all my padlocks are key operated!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 07:33 AM

I either forget the combination or lose the key. Donít know which is worse.

Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE, Trump for 2020

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page