44 Special - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 09:47 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to 45-70.gov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missionary5155 View Post
Greetings
The 5 shot 44 Special in the smaller frame revolver is a very nice carry / backup revolver. The Smith & Wesson 696 has been around many years and is highly sought after. Taurus made a fine little Titanium 5 shot that becomes forgotten after a few minutes. Rossi has also made the 5 shots in several models.
Now Ruger has finally stepped up with the 5 shot GP100. Last I looked the price is dropping as the feeding frenzy "I was the first" is dying down. On GB there are some with a starting price of $599 plus shipping. By Summer they should be near the real price the 357 mag models sell for.
The 5 shots are not designed for hunting although they easily could up close. But for a carry revolver they will do everything required. Nothing like "looking down the bore of the deadly 44 of...." all in a package that is well priced and probably far stronger than any other out there.
Mike in Peru

well with the model 69 out
i bet it might be time to see some of those 696
to show up on the used market....makeing room for someones new 69

when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the history of mankind
free choice and equality can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any democrat voters ''they sat and watched them die''...they told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 11:14 AM

I have loved the 44Spl since Skeeter turned me onto them in his writings; had one of the first S&W 624's, sadly I let it get away after an injury that I thought was going to keep me from shooting handguns (I have pretty well recovered long time back ). IIRC the old adage was that in a properly stout gun the 44Spl was withing 10% of the Mag. DO NOT try this with a Charter Arms Bulldog! I never 'needed' that much HP anyway and loaded my Maggies down to Spl or at most Spl '+P' with cast bullets. The one thing I like about a Mag is that I can stuff in a 100% beneath the bullet load of Trail Boss for 'my' pleasure shootin' load (still have a Ruger SBH). Before TB I ran pounds of Unique through my 44's. All the Mags are BIG.
I have had the tremblings of lust on those lighter weight new 44Spl's, though I doubt they would live up to what I thought my 4" 624 was, it sure seemed like a 'fitting room gun' (the Charter Arms Bulldogs were NOT but a matched pair with baseline loads was pockets full o' fun).
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 06:50 PM

it took two years of begging and crying to pry this four" S&W 624 in 44 special from a collector friend, but he did give me a very good price as he said to watch my actions over the two years was priceless. eastbank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 7654.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	736.3 KB
ID:	148650  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 09:10 PM

Oh YEAH, thats what Im talkin' about!
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 05:39 AM

probably the best 44 special ever made. I had a 4 inch blued one that I let my buddy talk me out of. Still kick myself in the but over that deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastbank View Post
it took two years of begging and crying to pry this four" S&W 624 in 44 special from a collector friend, but he did give me a very good price as he said to watch my actions over the two years was priceless. eastbank.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Don't remind me of all the ones traded off and now wish I had back
I'll tell ya what would really turn my crank is a double action 41 special in a single six frame size
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 05:32 AM

had a single six in 41 special. Gallager built it for me at the same time he built one for John taffin. Didn't have it long though. My best friends daughter just loved it and it found a new home with her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WD45 View Post
Don't remind me of all the ones traded off and now wish I had back
I'll tell ya what would really turn my crank is a double action 41 special in a single six frame size

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 09:28 PM

I love the 44 special. it's more of a handloaders cartridge, but it is just really neat. Power is there if you need it, but mild manors if you don't. excellent accuracy and nostalgia help make it really special for me. With my new gp 100 44 special I now have 3 dedicated 44 specials. My blackhawk is really nice, the taurus is ok, and the new gp, while untested as of yet is the 44 I have been waiting on for 20 years give or take a month. I hear people complain about the new ruger not being a mag, but for me I like the more compact design, to make the gun a mag, would mean more weight and a longer cylinder. For me the 44 special is the perfect field cartridge. Plenty of power, lighter weight, and great accuracy.
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldshooter View Post
Wouldn't it be better to get a 44 mag and just use a spacer to load 44 specials. If you don't reload you can always buy and use both.

Its what I did when I had my S&W model 29. Then I could use the mag if needed and the specials to plink and herd cats.
Didn't know Ruger made a GP in 44 Magnum. Maybe he figured a 44 Special had all the power he needed and was more convenient to carry than a large frame 44 Magnum.
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

They Don't make them in MAG yet that I know of but do make them in special now which for me is all the gun I need in reality. Easier to pack in the field or while hiking the trails and concealable if need be. Being a hand loader I can load anything from round balls to soup cans to SWC,s or JHP's.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page