Full Moon Clip Conversions? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

Default Full Moon Clip Conversions?

OK, full moon clip conversions, who has them, and how do you like them.

I just picked up a 3" 629 .44 Mag and I'm thinking about sending the cylinder off to be cut for the full moon clips, but before I do so, I thought I'd poll the audience and see what the thoughts are.

So, what are the thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 10:54 AM

I just bought a 627. they are cheaper than speed loader (moon clips) they are harder to load. I don't know how hard it will b to get empty case out yet. I think its going to be a pain. get a few moon clips and a few speed loaders. won't hurt to have both.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 08:31 PM

Groo here
Unless you get ones that don't jiggle [fit tight,, case/ammo /clip specific] speed loiaders seem to do better.
The reason is the case length and the fact there is not a standard for the cut above the rim on standard rimed cases
a lit more fitting will be required.
Got a TRR8 with clips,,, don't use them as some cases fit ,some don't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-08-2018, 06:38 AM

id did a 454 Alaskan once. Foolishly let a guy at work talk me out of it. It would shoot 454s or 45 colts with or without clips. If you used clips you had to use the thin ones they sold. I would also shoot 45acps using factory smith 25 clips. I wasn't all that accurate with acps and point of aim was so much different it wasn't really practical. I actually took it to a ppc shoot with full power 454s one day. Went up to the line without saying anything and started to shoot a round with 5 other shooters. Everyone on the range stopped. It scared the heck out of everyone. the range officer stopped the shooting and asked me what I was doing. they actually got a good laugh out of it. They let me shoot a round with it but they didn't put any one else on the line because who could consentrate with that cannon going off. At that time I had a 293/300 average and actually shot a 288 with it and took 6 place in the expert class. I don't shoot ppc anymore but stop by the matches on occasion and it never fails that someone brings that up and theres a good laugh. It sure would have made for a great bear protection gun if you buy into that stuff. In all actuality it was softer shooting then my two FA 454s were. Probably due to the rubber grips and the fact that the bullet didn't stay long in that 2.5 inch barrel. Sure was a flame thrower though

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 05:58 PM

Who did the work on your Alaskan, Lloyd?
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 07:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to gene_225

I have a Colt 1917 in.45 acp which uses clips. Don't care for the clip. It can be shot w/out the clips. I just got a Ruger Blackhawk .45/.45 acp instead of a Redhawk in.45/.45 acp because it has to use the clips. With the Blackhawk you just change cylinders. I like that better. Just my opinion.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 04:28 AM

TK customs
Quote:
Originally Posted by SargeMO View Post
Who did the work on your Alaskan, Lloyd?

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 11:47 AM

I have had several Smith & colt 1917 revolvers that were in 45acp designed to use the clips. As I remember they were harder to load and unload the clips. Of course this was all military surplus.

For me Id stick with speed loaders. The 44 mag has no grove for the clips to fit tight.

Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 04:56 AM

there are tools available that make loading and unloading clips a snap. Big advantage to clips is there not mechanical. no need to turn or push a thing. Open your gun and drop them in. Another advantage at least to me is I can load up 50 or so clips and go to the range and pick my brass up in groups of 6. As to 44 mags when you have a conversion done they machine a grove in your cylinder to except clips. Cool thing is they machine it so your rounds still headspace right without them so you can still use your speed loaders or load each cylinder individually. Only down side to 44 mag/45 colt/454 or any rimmed cartridge that has the cylinder cut for clips is the grove cant be done deep and still allow you to use your gun without clips so clips are thin and much easier to bend or damage. Not so much there gong to bend in your pocket but if you don't use the proper tool to load and unload them its easy to bend them. I have had the push botton speed loaders empty in my pocket because the button was bumped. All that said theres nothing faster to reload a revolver with then a full moon clip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorp View Post
I have had several Smith & colt 1917 revolvers that were in 45acp designed to use the clips. As I remember they were harder to load and unload the clips. Of course this was all military surplus.

For me Id stick with speed loaders. The 44 mag has no grove for the clips to fit tight.

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 05:29 PM

My S&W Govonor uses the clips I had for my 625 . The Ruger Redhawk on the other hand requires thin clips and they are weak. I would never use them for self defense.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page