LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Gun Cabinet
Default 5 Excellent Double-Action Revolver Options

https://gundigest.com/handguns/5-exc...erm=See%20More

By Patrick Sweeney -July 18, 2018

Quote:
Five top revolver choices from large bore to pocket pistol and everything in between.

What are some the best revolver options:

Smith & Wesson 629 Delux

Ruger GP100 Match Champion

Colt Cobra

Kimber K6s

Taurus 856

Some things change, some stay the same. When it comes to picking a revolver, you can still depend on S&W. Big to small, mild to ferocious, they offer the complete selection. They offer so many that you would have to narrow down your needs or desires before we could even begin discussing the best one to choose.

Taurus 856

For a classic experience — but updated — the new S&W 629 Deluxe is a stainless .44 Rem Mag. that will fill the bill.

If you want big bores and medium ones, Ruger makes plenty of double-action revolvers. That wasn’t the case when I started, and I still have to remind myself that Ruger is new to this, since they have “only” been at it for just shy of 50 years. How about the new Ruger GP100 Match Champion?

Colt used to be a big player, but they fell out of the marketplace a bit some time back. They have, however, come back in a big way, in the compact carry segment, and you should look at Colt’s Cobra if you’re looking for an EDC snubby.

Ruger GP100 Match Champion

A recent surprise entrant to the revolver market is Kimber, with the K6s. They now offer it in a variety of finish and sight options.

The newest item from Taurus is their 856, a six-shot snubby that I recently had a chance to shoot. I only had to stop when it became clear that others wanted to shoot it, and I couldn’t hog all the ammo.

Bill aka the Graybeard

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

JESUS is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 04:34 PM

I have a Colt Cobra, unfortunately it's the old aluminum frame and rattles when you shake it.
I got it from my deceased brother, and will never shoot it again.

HEAVEN HAS A WALL, A GATE, AND A STRICT IMMIGRATION POLICY.
H*LL HAS OPEN BORDERS. taken from fox news

DEMOCRATS/ABORTIONISTS SHOULD TAKE HEED OF THE FACT THAT BABIES ARE GOD'S MOST PRECIOUS.

MURDER BABIES AND YOU "WILL" BURN FOR ETERNITY.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 12:25 PM

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graybeard View Post
I quit liking the S&Ws when they started putting the ignition switch on them. I would take a dash 4 Smith over any other revolver made....just saying.

I also like anything Ruger but prefer their single actions. I have a tuned SuperBlackhawk Bisley that shoots right with my dash 4 629 Classic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 04:49 PM

well, I'll take a 29-2, -3 or maybe a 629 for the 44 mag; either a 27 or 28 for the 357, and a M38 or 638 to cover the rest.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 04:43 PM

I have smiths and Ruger double action guns. But in the Ruger I much prefer the SP 101 to a larger frame. Of course 38 is the biggest caliber I can still shoot. Mostly I shoot 22lr or 22mag.

I did kill a big boar hog a couple weeks ago with my SS Ruger single six with the magnum cylendar in it.

Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE, Trump for 2020

Last edited by pastorp; 10-28-2018 at 09:40 PM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 05:52 PM

Sweet!

It still sticks in my head we should be able to load a 22lr case to the power level of 22 mag and note been penalized with 22 mag prices.
I recall Gil Hebards' range burned down as unburned powder had built up in the gravel and finally an ignition source was found. We tried it at our range after league one night on two postions, 22 standard velocity and 22 high velocity, the residue on each position was swept separately and tested for ignition, the high velocity round out of the 6" barrel left enough unburned powder to start a fire.
Much more more can one gain from a 22 mag if we have unburned powder in a 22lr with high velocity in a 6" barrel?
Do they use an even faster powder?
Just over thinking.

Come quickly, Lord Jesus
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 09:43 PM

Goodshot, I believe it takes about 16” of barrel to burn all the powder in a HV 22 LR.

Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE, Trump for 2020
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 11:05 PM

Just read some research, up to 30% more power? Yet we know it expels unburned powder? Sounds like it was meant to be used in a 16" barrel.
best wishes

Come quickly, Lord Jesus
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 09:47 PM

Good evening
This all depends on what you think you need.... But for outright versatility, strength and great accuracy I will stick the Monsom ade Dan Wesson family. Any barrel length in two minutes. Any barrel gap I want. Strong as any revolver and more accurate than most.
So for all 5 I will take Dan Wesson...

Looking for answers... try the Bible. John 5:39
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 07:09 PM

Big bore - Ruger Redhawke 45 or 44. 7-1/2" bbl
S & W 686 , 6 inch bbl
S & W model 38 airweight. Or Kimber K6 da/sa.
S&W 617 .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in