Originally Posted by Apuesto View Post
Measurements say otherwise.

Some numbers from www.ballisticsbytheinch.com

Cor Bon 110 gr 2" barrel .38 = 675fps,
Cor Bon 110 gr 2" barrel .357 = 928fps

and

Federal 125gr JHP 2".38 = 700fps
Federal 125gr JHP 2".357 = 949fps

A .357 out of a 2" barrel performs about the same as a .38 out of a 4" barrel, and out of a 3" barrel, a .357 will outperform a .38 from just about any (regular) length handgun barrel.

If you can stomach the recoil of a .357, it's the way to go.

I have a Taurus 605 357 mag steel and a 85 38 special in allow. No doubt the perceived recoil of the 38 is more than the 357 mag. The weight difference makes a huge difference. Now, the 38 is a joy to carry though.

Rosewood

Go Donald Go!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 04:12 PM

I definitely agree with gpa and atllaw that there is no real benefit to a 357 in a sub nosed revolver. By the same token however I would never carry or use hollow points or soft nosed jacketed slugs or count on them to perform as advertised. Both those Cor Bon and Federal loads in both calibers have been used by LEOs I have known and they are near useless and I would never expect a 110 gn 38 load at under 700'/sec to be a effective finisher on a Whitetail, much less a personal defense load. However, a 200 gn Keith style semi-wadcutter at 700'/sec from a S&W M38 is far superior, penetrates through and through a Whitetail skull and out penetrates every factory 38 Special round, including those made especially for snub nosed revolvers, that I have ever wasted money on. For those of you who fear the penetrability of a heavy bullet then take your chances with the light weight stuff, and good luck. This is the old Elmer Keith philosophy of a flat nosed solid cast slug, heavy for the bore, at moderate velocities, and it has always worked.
The 642 is a DA only revolver and a poor choice to get re-familiar with a snub nose. I knew of only one man who could shoot a double action revolver accurately and it wasn't a snub nose. A friend had a 642, once. He said he dared not use anything other than the Winchester ammo they advertised for the gun, a 125 gn jacketed slug that leaked out the barrel at some velocity. He also said the gun wasn't supposed to fire reloads but his misfired on factory ammo twice in each of the two boxes he purchased. After a session with me, he had exhausted one box of my wad cutter reloads, one box of my 158 gn swc reloads and two boxes of my 200 gn swc reloads. He said he couldn't tell the difference in recoil (there wasn't any...). None the less, he lost confidence in the gun and sold it and I couldn't blame him.
If you are going to use a snubbie for personal defense just make certain your loads can do the job. If you are more concerned about collateral damage than your safety or the safety of your loved ones then get something that might work, as in is marketed by someone who hasn't ever had to use one, hyped by the major ammo makers and gun writers and guaranteed to meet with the approval of every district attorney who you think will prosecute your defensive shooting. I'm sure you will stand a better chance of surviving a court room debacle if you have used politically correct ammo in your defense. You may not stand a better chance of surviving if you do, though. Just sayin'....
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 05:02 PM

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!

You are on the money Mike! A slow heavy cast bullet will out penetrate a speedster hollow point every time. This is a little off topic but same principal. I set both of my grandkids up with CVA Hunter single shot 44 mags for deer. A Kieth style 240 hard cast running 1000 fps will out penetrate any hollow point running 50% faster.

A 200 grain 357 slug has lots of sectional density and they don't like to stop once they get started.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 07:03 PM

There is some difference between the.38 special and the .357;

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/38special.html

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/357mag.html

..But I think the+P makes up a good share of the difference.

A curious thing happened today. My daughter-in-law just got her cc permit through. So I placed some of my guns on her permit.

She has to travel to the city rather often..so I felt she needed protection..

Came time for her to pick one to carry...she chose my LCP custom w/laser. That gun had been my regular going-to-church gun.

So, what to carry..My S&W 642 stainless or my Glock 42..

I took both down to a friend's gravel pit, where a cop friend has some steel head & shoulders silhouettes set up, and fired a batch of hardball.

I came home with the decision going in favor of the Glock. Both worked fine...

It's just that I can shoot better with the Glock ! I think those sights make the difference.

"Politically correct" language, is really Orwellian 'newspeak'. (Michael Cutler)

Last edited by ironglow; 08-07-2019 at 07:17 PM.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Mike View Post
I definitely agree with gpa and atllaw that there is no real benefit to a 357 in a sub nosed revolver.
I guess we have to agree to disagree on that one. In my book the additional 250 fps a .357 gives you in a 2" barrel over a comparable .38 through the same barrel is a pretty real benefit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironglow View Post

..But I think the+P makes up a good share of the difference.

Another option is to go 9mm, which gives a little more punch than .38 +P. It does force you to use moonclips, which is either a positive or negative depending on the user.

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act" - George Orwell
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 06:06 PM

Maybe I missed it, but what makes this a presidential gun? Does Donald Trump carry one?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushcreek View Post
Maybe I missed it, but what makes this a presidential gun? Does Donald Trump carry one?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
I believe that is the consensus.

Go Donald Go!!
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

Iíve seen in print that president Trump owns 2 handguns. A S&W 642, 38 special and a HK 45 auto.

He may own more but those 2 are the ones Iíve seen in print.

Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE, Trump for 2020

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page