Graybeard Outdoors banner

I picked up a presidential gun reciently

4K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  gene_225 
#1 ·
A S&W 642 38 special. I owned one in Alaska and carried it as a town gun. Ran across one at a very good price so I bought it.

I haven’t shot it yet. Not sure how the hump on the back will treat my thumb when I fire it but I will see. If it’s too painful I’ll just keep it in my drawer for emergency use. It the 642 airweight. Very lite. I loaded it up with federal 158 gr nyclad HP loads. Old school but a effective police load from days gone by.

#2 · (Edited)
Now that I have become proficient at shooting a snubby in the DA mode I consider the 642 one of the best for CCW. My SP101 feels like a boat anchor in comparison. I also see no point in going with a 357 in a snubby. The burn volume for the extra powder just isn't there. The 38 and 357 are tit for tat in a snubby.

I'd say you made a real good find!

Also i don't think you will find that hump to be a problem. In my opinion the hump enhance the grip!

#7 ·
I also see no point in going with a 357 in a snubby. The burn volume for the extra powder just isn't there. The 38 and 357 are tit for tat in a snubby.

Measurements say otherwise.

Some numbers from www.ballisticsbytheinch.com

Cor Bon 110 gr 2" barrel .38 = 675fps,
Cor Bon 110 gr 2" barrel .357 = 928fps

and

Federal 125gr JHP 2".38 = 700fps
Federal 125gr JHP 2".357 = 949fps

A .357 out of a 2" barrel performs about the same as a .38 out of a 4" barrel, and out of a 3" barrel, a .357 will outperform a .38 from just about any (regular) length handgun barrel.

If you can stomach the recoil of a .357, it's the way to go.

#3 · (Edited)
The hump gives you a higher hold which helps with muzzle flip. I shoot 158 GR SWCHP. A plus p load but all lead so recoil is not bad. I will add and take it for what it is worth. I have shot gallon water jugs with a 340 pd , 357 and 38 spl. The difference is dramatic . So there is a difference. I have use a 357 and s 38 as a finishing shot on deer. In both cases same shot placement at back of head nither was a pass through. My thought was the 38 did not have the power or expanded to much to make it through and the 357 expanded using up energy . Both worked. The 357 was a 125 GR jhp the 38 was the load mentioned above. The 357 is a hand full making a second shot slower. IMHO a plus p 38 is a good choice.

#5 ·
Great to hear, I am enjoying my 642 as well, may not get used to the "ignition switch" and have found very complete videos on removing it. Have also heard of it going into safe mode on it's own don't know how that could happen but once would be too much for a personal protection tool.
best wishes

#6 ·
The 642 and 442 can both be had without the lock. A gun shop here carries both. I have read where the 38s have not had a problem with the lock engauging it has been the lightweight magnums doing so.yes front pocket carry is just right. Been carrying that way since VA started shall issue. I use a Back Woods pocket holster that I get the maker to add a thin plastic sheet on the side away from my body. I also carry a very old model S&W 38 which has the shourded hammer so in my pocket if it shows at all the squarish shape looks like a wallet. So if someone wants my wallet suprised 😉

#12 ·
I definitely agree with gpa and atllaw that there is no real benefit to a 357 in a sub nosed revolver. By the same token however I would never carry or use hollow points or soft nosed jacketed slugs or count on them to perform as advertised. Both those Cor Bon and Federal loads in both calibers have been used by LEOs I have known and they are near useless and I would never expect a 110 gn 38 load at under 700'/sec to be a effective finisher on a Whitetail, much less a personal defense load. However, a 200 gn Keith style semi-wadcutter at 700'/sec from a S&W M38 is far superior, penetrates through and through a Whitetail skull and out penetrates every factory 38 Special round, including those made especially for snub nosed revolvers, that I have ever wasted money on. For those of you who fear the penetrability of a heavy bullet then take your chances with the light weight stuff, and good luck. This is the old Elmer Keith philosophy of a flat nosed solid cast slug, heavy for the bore, at moderate velocities, and it has always worked.
The 642 is a DA only revolver and a poor choice to get re-familiar with a snub nose. I knew of only one man who could shoot a double action revolver accurately and it wasn't a snub nose. A friend had a 642, once. He said he dared not use anything other than the Winchester ammo they advertised for the gun, a 125 gn jacketed slug that leaked out the barrel at some velocity. He also said the gun wasn't supposed to fire reloads but his misfired on factory ammo twice in each of the two boxes he purchased. After a session with me, he had exhausted one box of my wad cutter reloads, one box of my 158 gn swc reloads and two boxes of my 200 gn swc reloads. He said he couldn't tell the difference in recoil (there wasn't any...). None the less, he lost confidence in the gun and sold it and I couldn't blame him.
If you are going to use a snubbie for personal defense just make certain your loads can do the job. If you are more concerned about collateral damage than your safety or the safety of your loved ones then get something that might work, as in is marketed by someone who hasn't ever had to use one, hyped by the major ammo makers and gun writers and guaranteed to meet with the approval of every district attorney who you think will prosecute your defensive shooting. I'm sure you will stand a better chance of surviving a court room debacle if you have used politically correct ammo in your defense. You may not stand a better chance of surviving if you do, though. Just sayin'....

#15 ·
I definitely agree with gpa and atllaw that there is no real benefit to a 357 in a sub nosed revolver.
I guess we have to agree to disagree on that one. In my book the additional 250 fps a .357 gives you in a 2" barrel over a comparable .38 through the same barrel is a pretty real benefit.

..But I think the+P makes up a good share of the difference.

Another option is to go 9mm, which gives a little more punch than .38 +P. It does force you to use moonclips, which is either a positive or negative depending on the user.

#13 ·
You are on the money Mike! A slow heavy cast bullet will out penetrate a speedster hollow point every time. This is a little off topic but same principal. I set both of my grandkids up with CVA Hunter single shot 44 mags for deer. A Kieth style 240 hard cast running 1000 fps will out penetrate any hollow point running 50% faster.

A 200 grain 357 slug has lots of sectional density and they don't like to stop once they get started.

#14 · (Edited)
There is some difference between the.38 special and the .357;

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/38special.html

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/357mag.html

..But I think the+P makes up a good share of the difference.

A curious thing happened today. My daughter-in-law just got her cc permit through. So I placed some of my guns on her permit.

She has to travel to the city rather often..so I felt she needed protection..

Came time for her to pick one to carry...she chose my LCP custom w/laser. That gun had been my regular going-to-church gun.

So, what to carry..My S&W 642 stainless or my Glock 42..

I took both down to a friend's gravel pit, where a cop friend has some steel head & shoulders silhouettes set up, and fired a batch of hardball.

I came home with the decision going in favor of the Glock. Both worked fine...

It's just that I can shoot better with the Glock ! I think those sights make the difference.

#18 ·
I’ve seen in print that president Trump owns 2 handguns. A S&W 642, 38 special and a HK 45 auto.

He may own more but those 2 are the ones I’ve seen in print.

#19 ·
Saw this thread and thought I'd ask a question: I just got a S&W Model 642 Airweight .38 special. Seems there was a S&W sale going on. Anyway, I got it because there are reported sightings of a couger and also a wolf pack within the range of both the wolf pack and the couger. I walk our 8 lb. dog three times a day and we live in an area of woods with mostly recreation cabins that aren't occupied very often. Seems prudent. So my question is: based on experience, which would be easyier to draw from a leather "pocket type" holster or from an inside the pants with a clip on the gun itself? Thanks to all who respond. gene

#20 ·
I'd go with a quality outside the waist band leather holster. Considering that both wolves and cougar are possible concerns I'd go with the Buffalo Bore 158 grain lead HP load. I believe it is supposed to push the bullet close to 1000 fps from a snub nose like yours.

#22 ·
Guess I was assuming you were going to be out in the woods where hiding it wasn't an issue. If it is then of course adjust your carry method as needed. I open carry where ever I go down here in Bama as it is perfectly legal to do so and no one seems to pay that much attention to open carry as they are quite used to seeing folks doing so.

#25 ·
Sorry I wasn't clear; we walk the gravel roads around here so I get some exercise and she (Jill) gets her business done. Open carry is legal in Oregon, but the hassle doesn't seem worthwhile if it disturbs our "sometime" neighbors. Just my way of looking at it. Thanks for the carry thoughts. gene

#24 ·
I have discovered the vest. I have recently bought several. Have what is called a "traveler's vest" which is very light and cool and has a pocket for your cell phone, as well as a breast pocket and 2 hip pockets. Makes it easy to carry a second mag, flashlight etc. also, it covers your OWB holster on your hip giving you easy access. I also have bought a few fleece type vest for the cooler months. Got to where I like wearing them. An OWB holster is so much more comfortable than an IWB to me anyway.

My mom decided she wanted one also. Now she shops and uses the vest instead of a purse. More secure and easier to keep up with wallet, phone, keys etc.

Rosewood

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.