Revolvers 22 - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene_225 View Post
That's not exactly completely true. I have a Hi Standard Sentinel Model 101 with notches cut into the cylinder for the fireing pin to rest in. So while most firearms don't have that, some do. It's worth looking.

It depends entirely on the make of 22. Some are OK, some are not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by machine tom View Post
A 22 LR is a no go in both guns, on the H&R it protrudes almost 1/4" from the cylinder,r on the H&A protrude about .02". My question is regarding 22 shorts. The H&R is so small and lightly made, a cap gun looks heavy duty compared to it.
Machine Tom. Seeing SAAMI LR maximum chamber pressures of 24,000 PSI while the short and CB caps are listed at 21,000 PSI. Those are max pressures and I can’t believe a CB cap runs that high in practice after shooting them.

The link below may be helpful. Similar type question. One poster describes a catastrophic failure in a .22 antique revolver while using a .22 short. Best bet is not to shoot.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho....php?p=4805982

Ammunition is like firewood. The more you have, the warmer you feel.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 11:46 AM

Thanks VA, this is a great article.

Come quickly, Lord Jesus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 07:50 PM

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by machine tom View Post
Recently I was given a couple .22 pistols. One was a H&R "Young American" 7 shot, the other was a H&A "XL Double action". I have read that these guns were Rimfire Black Powder. Both could be shooters, I don't want to damage either gun, they are very poor appearance, but after cleaning dry fire okay.
Would 22 short be usable, or should I find or make 22BP.

Tom
My concern with an older gun would be how tight the cylinder lockup is.
I think the test is, **** the hammer, pull the trigger, USE YOUR THUMB TO BRING THE HAMMER DOWN SLOWLY AND CAREFULLY, keep the trigger pulled and check to see if you can rotate the cylinder.
If you have play, its probably unsafe to shoot.
What can happen with a loose cylinder lock up is half the bullet could land back in your face as it ricochets off the edge of the frame.
.22CB rounds are still being made.
There are also very low power "quiet" rounds. The weakest of which is Aguila Colibri rounds.
20 grain bullet and (apparently) only primer powder in the rim. Extremely low powered and quiet. I think MV from the guns you mentioned would be 300 fps or less.

DCman

1981 Topper 088, 20 gauge, 25" barrel, choke opened from full to modifed (Walker Arms, Selma Alabama), Limbsaver recoil pad

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page