Colt Python - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Default Colt Python

Anyone aware of any recent rumors on a new Python to go along with the Cobra and King Cobra. Most of the hits on this subject were just after Shot Show 2019. Wondering if anyone has heard any recent rumors.

In one respect at least the Martians are a happy people; they have no lawyers. Edgar Rice Burroughs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 08:02 PM

A friend just got a new Colt 3" barreled 357 that he is very happy with, don't know what they call it.

Come quickly, Lord Jesus
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 09:24 PM

Location: Behind the Redwood Curtain, Humboldt County, California

Just watched this YouTube video that explains the rumors. There might be Pythons made in 2020 or beyond.

When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 09:34 PM

Enjoyable and informative, I like those folks, thank you.
best wishes

Come quickly, Lord Jesus
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 10:52 PM
Administrator

Gun Cabinet

There MIGHT be a Colt gun with the name Python made in the future but I'm betting it won't be a "REAL PYTHON" just like the new King Cobra and Cobra aren't really what the old ones were. They are merely new guns with the old names attached, not at all a copy of the old.

Bill aka the Graybeard

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

JESUS is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

It might be nice to have a chance to get this iconic revolver, but understand it won’t be the gun of lore. Maybe on the other hand there will be some improvements as well such as the timing issue and maybe the prices won’t be crazy like a used one today.

In one respect at least the Martians are a happy people; they have no lawyers. Edgar Rice Burroughs
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 01:16 PM

I hope it won't have one of those stupid key locks on it. Like a S&W 27 has now.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent11 View Post
I hope it won't have one of those stupid key locks on it. Like a S&W 27 has now.
The new S&W 27 is no more a 27 than the Colt Cobra is a Cobra.

Even if "you can just plug the hole" on a post-Y2K S&W as so many spout off these days, you don't make it right. The frame has been changed, the firing pin has been changed, the lockwork has been changed. It is not the same revolver, there never will be another 27. And it is quickly getting to the point where S&W could beat Taurus in the percentage of their revolvers that have to go straight back to the factory, new out out of the box.

It's what passes for an N-frame in the new millennium. And the people buying them are actually apologizing for the lock. "It's no big deal!"

Yes, it is. It's a very big deal. And one that isn't likely to go away, as S&W is not interested in what their lifelong customers think, only that new buyers are willing to bend the knee.

I'm so glad I have a nice selection of pre-lock S&Ws, because the company is dead to me now.

Sorry this turned into a rant. Delete if inappropriate.

I don't often bare my soul, it's ugly and tends to frighten people.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 04:24 PM
Administrator

Gun Cabinet

No reason to delete. I do agree current S&W revolvers are not the same as what that model number used to be.

The folks who owned S&W when they had THE AGREEMENT with the government are not the current owners nor are the current owners the folks who bought it from those who made the agreement I don't think. That company was a gun lock maker and the current lock on them is/was a product of theirs.

I am not 100% sure but I think that outfit sold them out and they they are now owned by a holding company who also owns Thompson Center and Crimson Trace and likely other companies as well.

No one is making the same revolvers today they used to among the big makers. To my experience Ruger is doing a better job than in the days of old Bill and S&W and Colt aren't doing as well.

They make claims the new two piece barrel arrangement makes the guns more accurate. I think not, I'd not say for sure they are less accurate as I think I only have one of the new type a Model 69 which wasn't part of the old line anyway. The rest of mine are older pre agreement guns.

The new Colt Cobra isn't a Cobra at all, more like the old Detective special but really not even that. The new King Cobra is just a new gun they dreamed up and assigned it that name. If they redo the Python I'm sure it too will be like that, a new gun dreamed up and designed completely differently and given the name. If they made it like the old guns it would cost as much or more than the used ones are selling for now just like the new S&W guns are doing.

Bill aka the Graybeard

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

JESUS is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 05:46 PM

They are expensive. $1400.00 for a new one. With that key lock safety on the side of the frame. Which has been reported to fail.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page