The Python is back - Page 5 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020, 10:06 AM

Good deal. I’ve called a big shop down here in Florida, but they don’t have yet. I’ll probably wait till the buying frenzy trickles down then buy 3.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020, 10:16 AM
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinny View Post
I find it interesting how this thread started with this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apuesto View Post
Colt has started shipping new Python's into distribution already.
No one asked anyone to compare the Python to a S&W. If that did occur, then I would expect to see the "my barrel is longer than your barrel" comments some of you have posted. Back to a point I made earlier - Some of you can kill a thread faster than a speeding bullet. I doubt this is ground breaking news to any of you either. I look around this forum and I see regular conversations where your egos get in the way, and again, this is a recurring scenario played over and over again.

Rant complete....I have unsubscribed to this thread and don't expect to look back.

Thanks, Dinny
Kill a thread?
Dinny this thread is not dead, this is post #42.

"REPUBLIC OF TEXAS"!
To The Politician: if your not right with God, your not right for this country.
Phil Robertson, Duck Dynasty
post #43 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-11-2020, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
Now someone mentioned that one of the Smith action problems on smoothing is the trigger return spring block. BS!
That component is one of the easiest fixes towards a smooth action fix.

If you say the component is easy to fix, then there must be a problem right? The component is easy to improve, impossible to fix. Let me explain by way of comparing to the Manuhrin return slide.

Consider the two trigger return slides pictured below. The Smith's is a cheaply cast one-piece that slides (metal to metal) on the frame. The trigger return spring is an equally cheap coil spring, and changing trigger return weight requires you to open up and replace the coil spring. I don't have to point out a coil spring isn't linear right? Now if you stone the surfaces on the slide carefully you improve your trigger feel. However, improving does not mean fix. The Manurhin trigger return slide on the other pic runs on 4 rollers, and utilities a leaf spring. The leaf spring engages the return slide via another roller. You can see they went to great lengths to reduce friction.

The Manurhin has more tricks up it's sleeve, i.e. the main spring engages the hammer via yet another roller. All done to eliminate stiction. The result is that the Manurhin gives you feedback on what the revolver is doing during the trigger pull. You can feel when the hand engages the cylinder, you can feel the cylinder lock engage and you can tell exactly when the hammer is staged.

A S&W simply cannot do that - I have spent many many hours stoning parts. Now I'm not saying a Python is better at giving feedback than an S&W, I' simply sharing this you to illustrate that the return slide is an issue, and "improving" it via a bit of stoning does not mean "fixing".
Attached Images

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act" - George Orwell

Dumb, Dumber, Democrat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-11-2020, 04:29 PM

I think you left our the part where the S&W uses the KISS system and that coil springs last longer than leaf springs. That would be why Ruger eliminated them from the peace maker design and went to coils in their single actions.

I'll take the KISS system and I can honestly say, my old M-27's and M-29 are smoother than any of the 5 pythons I owned. (actually, my M-19's are too)

DM

Lincolns legacy is, he freed the slaves

Obama's legacy will be, he freed the terrorist!
post #45 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-11-2020, 05:12 PM
Dee

Well said DM, and the Python inherently has a sluggish trigger return. Like it or not, the longer trigger travel on the Colt introduces more friction issues.

Well in weighing every word, I suppose I should have said; the Smith trigger return block can be improved by stoning the friction areas.
Better?

"REPUBLIC OF TEXAS"!

Last edited by Dee; 01-11-2020 at 08:06 PM.
post #46 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-11-2020, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drilling Man View Post
I think you left our the part where the S&W uses the KISS system and that coil springs last longer than leaf springs. That would be why Ruger eliminated them from the peace maker design and went to coils in their single actions.

I'll take the KISS system and I can honestly say, my old M-27's and M-29 are smoother than any of the 5 pythons I owned. (actually, my M-19's are too)

DM
Hi DM. I didn't leave aything out. Your "longer lasting" comment doesn't ring true given Manurhin's are significantly more robust amd longer lasting than any S&W ever produced. The French counter terrorism unit (GIGN) used S&W's only to find they gave in at around 25,000 rounds, and then switched to the MR73. One they tested to 170,000 rounds of full power loads. There are many articles on this but I'm including this one.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/gu...-357-revolver/

I like N frames and own several - all low/no dash models. My N frame triggers are all very smooth, but unlike the posters here I don't have to rely on memory of how guns shot I owned years or decades ago; I shoot them back to back with the Pythons I own currently and found the Python DA action to be smoother. I also found the Pythons to be marginally more accurate with the same ammo.

For the record, I am not Colt fan. I'm most fond of my Freedom Arms revolvers. I'm simply stating my findings.

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act" - George Orwell

Dumb, Dumber, Democrat
post #47 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-11-2020, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
Well said DM, and the Python inherently has a sluggish trigger return. Like it or not, the longer trigger travel on the Colt introduces more friction issues.
I agree on the trigger return. It's not designed to rapid fire. Shooting the Python you should ideally come off the trigger and not rely on the trigger to push your finger lest it doesn't reset. I believe the new one is the same.

I cannot comment if the longer travel introduces more friction, but as a whole I feel it to be the closest to a Manurhin trigger of any stateside revolver I have shot (except the return part).

Dumb, Dumber, Democrat
post #48 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-11-2020, 11:31 PM
Dee

Well, I guess we'll just have to live with it.

When my Smith air weight hits 25,000 rounds, I'll have to spring for another one, or carry my Kimber.

I'm gonna miss that little gun.

"REPUBLIC OF TEXAS"!

Last edited by Dee; 01-11-2020 at 11:34 PM.
post #49 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apuesto View Post
unlike the posters here I don't have to rely on memory of how guns shot I owned years or decades ago; I shoot them back to back with the Pythons I own currently and found the Python DA action to be smoother. I also found the Pythons to be marginally more accurate with the same ammo.
I did rely on my memory, but I really don't have to. I still have the notes I took, going back to the 70's...

I also don't need my notes to refresh my memory that the five pythons I owned were NOT more accurate that the S&W's I owned/shot competitively with, because IF even one had been, I'd still own it. I can honestly say (without looking at my old notes) that not even one time did I ever loose a match to a python. I wonder why that is ?, because guys had them and shot them right along side me.

I also don't need my notes to remember that I won 13 of those matches in a row, (all with S&W's) as I'm rather proud of that! BUT, the best days were when my wife won her class, using a M-27 at the same match when I won my class!

BTW, I don't still have that wife, but I do still have that M-27.

DM

Lincolns legacy is, he freed the slaves

Obama's legacy will be, he freed the terrorist!
post #50 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 12:25 PM

It only took two (2) pythons for me to learn that although they were beautiful guns they weren't the best suited for my needs at the time. Don't have either one of them anymore, but I still have the same wife. :-)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page