1911 45 ACP as a carry gun! - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!
Default 1911 45 ACP as a carry gun!

Do any of you carry one of these. I have a Ruger Commander that I have carried for a week and have gotten very used to it. It's a lot bigger and bulkier than the Glock 43X that I normally carry but it will shoot circles around the Glock. As a matter of fact I can shoot it almost as good as my 686/357. When it is all on the line shouldn't we be carrying what we shoot the best rather than what is convenient?

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 12:06 PM
WLB

I carried a Government model every day, all day for over 20 years. Its still the pistol I pick up if I'm going north of Washington Street or more than the 1/2 mile to my shop, and the one that sits on the stand beside my bed at night. Its also the one that I practice the most with. I always thought that it was quite convenient to carry. Lays flat against the side of my back and conceals easily with just a T shirt in summer.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 01:37 PM
Dee

I carried the 1911 for years, then switched over to the Glocks, then the 1911s, back to the Glocks, and now recently, back to my real preference, and what I shoot best.
357 mag

"REPUBLIC OF TEXAS"!
To The Politician: if your not right with God, your not right for this country.
Phil Robertson, Duck Dynasty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 01:42 PM

I've been carrying one off and on, mostly on, for about 25 years now, and don't see that changing. Its comfortable, convenient, and works great. I have staked my life on it and will not hesitate to continue to do so.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 03:18 PM
Banned

My 8 years in the service was all about 1911s. My old dad's favorite gun. Now days it's one of my safe guns. Just to used to a 5 shot ultra light now. But when the Grandson wants to go shooting the 1911 always comes out to play 😊
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 09:52 PM
RJM

Carried a GM .45 from 1974 to 1980...then switched over to a Commander in .38 Super and have carried one ever since...

Take a look at a Commander in 9mm or .38 Super...to me the best carry gun ever made... Colt Wiley Clapp or a Dan Wesson Guardian...evertyhting you need and nothing that you don't...

...if you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you...
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 03:31 PM

Carried a colt commander feather weight in 9mm when off duty in Korea for a year1952 it was my own personal weapon I now have a colt Combat commander 9mm and have it when I need to carry. cant go wrong with a couple extra clips of ammo.

Deaconllb

U S Air Force Korean vet. NRA Member
Fourth fighter wing Kimpo Korea 1952 Fourth but first, the mig killers.
533rd material ,air defence Oxnard AFB 1953-1955
Pastor of the CBCG-Fellowship group Tulsa Oklahoma.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 04:32 PM

I still carry a full sized Colt 1911 in a shoulder rig and a Shield 45 IWB.

Professional critter chaser
Go WVU Mountaineers!
Hey, our mascot carries a muzzleloader!
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJM View Post
Carried a GM .45 from 1974 to 1980...then switched over to a Commander in .38 Super and have carried one ever since...

Take a look at a Commander in 9mm or .38 Super...to me the best carry gun ever made... Colt Wiley Clapp or a Dan Wesson Guardian...evertyhting you need and nothing that you don't...
I handled a DW Guardian at Brownells a while back. I agree they are sweet. Salesman Matt let me dry fire it a couple of times. My Ruger has a decent trigger but the Guardian was perfect. My son gave me this Ruger for my 60th birthday so it isn't going anywhere and if I decide to carry it solely I will put a stone to the trigger. The trigger weight of pull is fine but there is one little gritty lurch that needs to go away.

Since there is nothing wrong with having more than one 1911 I am going to give that Guardian another look and maybe see what kind of wiggle room they have on it.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 01:59 PM
WLB

gpa, You can never have too many 1911 based pistols.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in