I'm done with springers. - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Default I'm done with springers.

I have been fighting a gas piston springer for 2 years. I finally got it to group halfway decent a while back. Now it is back to shooting random groups. My Benjamin 392's will shoot circles around it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 12:39 PM

Ive 'returned' to traditional springers (again) and the 'artillery hold' has done wonders for the higher velo, twangy 'Beeman RS2' that has given me some fits (and eats scopes so Im using just open sights).
http://www.pyramydair.com/article/Th...d_June_2009/63
My earlier RWS 45 is better with that hold too but the softer shooting old ones dont seem to care.
All in all, after having a rather high end RWS 75T01 (recoil-less match rifle) side lever and a cheap Chinese sidelever I determined that for me I just like the relative simplicity of a break barrel springer. I could go for an underlever too, the sidelever is just awkward for me.
I wont get a PCP, I really like an airgun that runs easy at 650-700ish fps and dont want or need the expensive complexity of them. I would shoot one if a friend bought one though .
And if I need to pop a yard varmint I have a 22RF sighted in for CB's and a 410 (I live in the country and can still shoot a real firearm; Thank GOD and the Founding Fathers).
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

I can still shoot firearms here, but I prefer the air rifles because the pellets don't carry as far. I do like the simplicity of the springers, but dislike their quirks. I pulled it out today to adjust me my scope for a closer range and was shooting patterns again as opposed to groups. I think I am going to buy a PCP sometime this year. For now I'll stick to my pneumatic pumpers. They are consistent and predictable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 08:53 PM
dcw

Default what gas piston do you have?

have you tried (or have) HW 90/Beeman RX?

lead, follow, or get out of the way!
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcw View Post
have you tried (or have) HW 90/Beeman RX?
No I haven't. For that kind of money I would go ahead and buy a PCP.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 07:34 PM
dcw

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpjmpr View Post
No I haven't. For that kind of money I would go ahead and buy a PCP.
i have both.

if you purchase a PCP it will require support.
1. hand pump...$200.00 +
2. HPA compressor...$650.00 +
3. SCUBA/SCBA TANK...$125.00 +

in the end, all will cost as much, for PCP, if not more than, the Beeman.

the Beeman/HW 90 is adjustable in power by addition/reduction in air via schrader valve AND an air source. you will need a pump and adapter and pressure gauge.

having three 'springers' and two PCP's i can say that the PCP's are easier to shoot, and are more accurate than the springers (except the RWS 54)

but...i like them all...in fact, i'm headed outside to send some lead down range with my Williams peep sighted 54...

lead, follow, or get out of the way!

Last edited by dcw; 03-05-2017 at 07:36 PM. Reason: changed info
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 03:44 PM

I like both springers and pumpers.
I have a couple of low power springers that are super accurate and easy to shoot.

And a Crosman Nitro Piston .22 that isn't exactly target grade accurate but it sure puts a wallop on a steel can at 50 yards. So that's good enough for me.

Can't quite get myself excited enough about them to try a CO2 or a PCP airgun. Just too much money and extra baggage I guess.

"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife that you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." Fred Bear

Handi 243 working on full Bubbaization. American Classic Model 1377 & Ruger Air Hawk. Zebco, Shimano, Garcia & Shakespeare. Heddon, Rapala, Buck & Leatherman.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 09:09 PM

I'll stick to my Break guns. I have a 117 Gamo big Cat and a Cisico 22 magnum that stack them at 20 yds if I do my part.Before I spend a ton of money on a PCP, I'll shoot 22 shorts when I need a little more oopph

I don't think of myself as a staunch Republican or Democrat.
I am a Christian and a Conservative...........In that order!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 03:47 PM

I cut my teeth on Springers, started with a FWB 124. I prefer them due to having the power plant built in. Once ai learded to shoot them I have no issues with accuracy or grouping. You cant hold them like a centerfire rifle, the artillery hold works.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 01:15 PM

I got bit by the PCP bug and have owned several over the last couple of years. I still own several springers, but when it comes to needing to put a pest down I grab either my 25 caliber hatsan or my maximus 22. I have both shooting pellet on pellet at 25 yards. When I first started with PCP's I used a hand pump and it was definitely a struggle with my back problems. Now I have a tank and can fill the rifles dozens of times off a single tank. I still shoot my springers, my favorite is my titan that I rebuilt with a new gas piston. It will shoot 3/4" groups at 25 yards when I do my part. On a good day I can shrink the groups down a little. I'm spoiled though with the PCP's and will probably never go back to just having a springer.

OSTA
Lanum's Animal Damage Control
We don't do bugs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page