Red dot on air rifle.. - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 07:34 AM

Gun Cabinet

I've found Nikko-Stirling Nighteater scopes to endure air rifle conditions.

Think twice, shoot once...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 07:52 AM

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!

I have a cheap red dot on my 22 caliber Ruger springer. It has accounted for lots of garden raiders. All of my old neighbors have gardens and my pellet gun is their hero. My red dot has 12 brightness settings and I always turn it to the brightest setting. It's deadly to 25 yards and I have even made a few 50+ yard shots with it......but I have missed a whole lot more than I have connected on at that distance.

One thing that is stated right in the owner's manual of most springers(low end ones like mine) is that they need to be shot in. Don't expect much for accuracy for the first 100 rounds or so. This is my third pellet gun in 15 years and have learned that RWS pellets offer the best accuracy shot to shot.

I also know that a springer won't last very long if my grandson's(one or another) decides to shoot garden spiders or lightning bugs with just the spring compressed air minus a pellet. I'd probably still be on my first pellet gun if it weren't for those grandsons.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa&hisguns View Post
I have a cheap red dot on my 22 caliber Ruger springer. It has accounted for lots of garden raiders. All of my old neighbors have gardens and my pellet gun is their hero. My red dot has 12 brightness settings and I always turn it to the brightest setting. It's deadly to 25 yards and I have even made a few 50+ yard shots with it......but I have missed a whole lot more than I have connected on at that distance.

One thing that is stated right in the owner's manual of most springers(low end ones like mine) is that they need to be shot in. Don't expect much for accuracy for the first 100 rounds or so. This is my third pellet gun in 15 years and have learned that RWS pellets offer the best accuracy shot to shot.

I also know that a springer won't last very long if my grandson's(one or another) decides to shoot garden spiders or lightning bugs with just the spring compressed air minus a pellet. I'd probably still be on my first pellet gun if it weren't for those grandsons.
Thanks for the information gained by experience GPA..

..And yes, shooting an unloaded springer is a serious NO-NO !

DON'T DRINK THE KOOLAID !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2020, 12:02 PM

I've had good luck with Hammers brand of airgun scopes on my springers and nito piston. Clarity is very good. And they hold zero. Not too expensive.
.TM77
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2020, 12:12 PM

Concerning economical sights. Some years back I bought my first red dot which was >than $30 Simmons. Just wanted to see if I would like a red dot before spending more serious money. Mounted on a Winchester .357 Saddle Ring carbine. Has held up and works just fine, see no need to upgrade.
GuzziJohn
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2020, 01:24 PM
dcw

Default i have multiple

springers and gas ram air rifles.

all Leupold scopes ARE springer rated...to include their red dot sights. but...$$$$.

my "serious" air rifles i use open sights on. why? 'cause they are used for very short ranges; usually less than 40 yards.

here's my 22 cal AF bottle gun with a vortek red/green dot that's VERY accurate. Vortek red dot scopes ARE air gun rated, too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1571 (1).jpg
Views:	4
Size:	1.62 MB
ID:	246392  

lead, follow, or get out of the way!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page