WTB: Blued 22LR factory contour 21” rifle barrel with open sights - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2020, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

Default WTB: Blued 22LR factory contour 21” rifle barrel with open sights

Hello,

I would like to buy a blued Thompson Center Contender factory contour rifle barrel with open sights installed.

Very respectfully,

Charles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2020, 09:33 AM

I have one as new, early barrel with only one forend mounting dove tail, the two screw will still work, that wont be available until tomorrow for photos. Thanks
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2020, 01:22 AM Thread Starter

Onelugbarrel,

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. I would like to learn more about the barrel. I would prefer a model with dual dove tail because my children could use the the rifle from time to time. The wood at the front screw on my contender forearm does not seem like it would be able to bear much weight. Should I look at a different forearm for that single dove tail barrel?

I wonder if I would be able to send it to MGM to machine a second dove tail.

Thank you again. I look forward to learning more about the barrel.

Very respectfully,

Charles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2020, 12:56 PM

l is actually more a collector than a shooter. Listing it on eBay, Thanks for you interest.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2020, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Onelugbarrel,

How much are you planning to list it for on eBay?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2020, 01:09 AM Thread Starter

I think I found a company that specializes in Contenders and Encores that could cut a second dovetail. Or do you think the rifle wouldn’t need a second dovetail to securely hold the forearm? I am interested in the barrel.

Charles
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2020, 06:08 PM

There is one on gunbroker
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2020, 08:15 PM

Gun Cabinet

There were two by FyrpowerX on G Broker. A stainless and a blued, both 21" tapered barrels.

Wonder is the beginning of wisdom. -Anonymous
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-15-2020, 09:50 AM

These 1 mounting lug for the forend are getting hard to come by. Don't think I want to sell it where it is going to lose it's originality. Thank You for your interest.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-15-2020, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

mrk1500 & redleg11b,

Thank you. I saw them, I sent a message to FyrpowerX about the blued model. It doesn’t have any open sights on it. He said he would check it see if he hand any open sights, but never got back with me again. It is also a single dovetail model. I saw the stainless steel model with the open sights, but I am really looking for a blued barrel.

There is also a barrel without sights available on eBay now I am eyeing, but buying and adding sights back to a barrel is a complicated affair.

On barrels designed for sight, but with the sights removed, it appears to be slightly complicated to add the correct sights back.

I’m more than a little lost about the sights, but it appears that the front sight for the 10” bull barrel might fit the 21” tapered barrel. This is confusing because the two muzzles should have different diameters, impacting fit. There is not information about differences in front blade height between the models. On rear sights, the newer G1 barrels should use the same sized rear sight (though there are different blade heights). I think the correct rear sight height for the 22LR 21” carbine barrel is the short rear sight, but I am only guessing because documentation is limited, requiring a lot of inference. It also looks like the older single dovetail barrels use a different rear sight than the two dovetail models.

If I knew which sights to buy, it would open barrel purchasing options.

onelugbarrel,

I didn’t say for sure if I would modify. The major thing I was wondering is if the single dovetail model would securely hold the forearm of a dual dovetail model. This is of concern to me because the single dovetail model is toward the front of the forearm, which seems like a weak point on the forearm. I would hate to damage a dual mount forearm using it on a single mount barrel. That is part of the reason I asked if it would be beneficial to buy a single mount forearm to match to the single mount. To me that would be preferable (buying a single mount forearm) to milling a barrel because it would be less expensive and maintain originality.

I would let my children shoot the rifle, but it would be under direct supervision, on a bench with sandbags. Minimal possibility of my children damaging the barrel. I do take care of my possessions too. I have rifles and handguns that I bought 20 years ago, and all of them are in like new to very good plus condition.

I would like to thank everyone that has commented and helped me as I search for a barrel.

Very respectfully,

Charles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page