CZ P-01 - Think I found my "one" gun. - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

Default CZ P-01 - Think I found my "one" gun.

Just liberated a CZ P-01 from CA Jail yesterday, and all I can say is wow. Ergonomics are blowing me away; smooth tight action, great trigger, good sights on it, but dovetailed for anything else you might want. Can't make up my mind if I like the factory rubber or the CZ Custom checkered cocobolo - they're both soo good. Alloy frame makes it very light to carry (have the Alien Gear Combo for it).

While it was in jail, I was travelling in a free state and visited several gun stores and a gun show, and managed to hold alot of different makers/platforms, shoot a few. Every time I picked up a CZ, even the newer poly duty guns, the balance and fit were perfect, fit and finish were outstanding, and the triggers sweet, at a price well below the "competition." I can definitely see a PCR, 75BD and 97B in my future, with possibly a P-09 as well; and I can see them replacing other stuff in the safe.

Going shooting this weekend, will try to take some pictures. But here's a few:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 04:05 PM

Default Re: CZ P-01 - Think I found my "one" gun.

that p-01 is a nice piece! I like the wood grips just for the looks. We went with the 75B and 75B compact for the additional weight of the steel frame absorbing more recoil. Makes for faster follow up shots and easier to shoot alot at the range. Ours are bedside guns won't get carried much if any. We do carry them owb on our property in a free state. Also bought the alien gear holsters, the jury is still out on them (wife) but I like em. Sure wish I could get the 97B in CA chambered in 38super. Am I correct, the only difference between the B model and the P-01 is the alloy frame? the P-01 is not a decocker model?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cudatruck
that p-01 is a nice piece! I like the wood grips just for the looks. We went with the 75B and 75B compact for the additional weight of the steel frame absorbing more recoil. Makes for faster follow up shots and easier to shoot alot at the range. Ours are bedside guns won't get carried much if any. We do carry them owb on our property in a free state. Also bought the alien gear holsters, the jury is still out on them (wife) but I like em. Sure wish I could get the 97B in CA chambered in 38super. Am I correct, the only difference between the B model and the P-01 is the alloy frame? the P-01 is not a decocker model?

P-01 is a redesign off of the compact, sharing grips and a few key parts (like it can use the Kadet conversion), but different in other ways beyond just the rail and alloy frame: upswept beavertail is more like the SP-01, extended slide release and mag release, 85 style trigger for consistent pull through DA. And it is a decocker, which I am growing to love for a carry gun. They say Sigs have a better DA/SA, but I pulled a lot of Sig triggers over the past 2 weeks, and they had nothing on this one. In fact I nearly brought home a new Sig P220 Elite Dark Carry, almost as an investment given what it'd go for in CA, but as good as its trigger was, the pull on the 75BD next to it, not to mention the ergos, blew it away ... for far less $$.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 09:27 PM

That is cool! I'm not a fan of the decocker though, how much less does it weigh than the 75Bcompact?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
That is cool! I'm not a fan of the decocker though, how much less does it weigh than the 75Bcompact?
5oz, but with the forward rail its balanced nicely. I didn't think I'd like decockers either, but having been mostly a DA revolver guy for years, I'm taking to it quick. I could see if you had a lot of time with a manual safety semi, it could be a harder transition. The decocker takes it to half ****, so the draw-shoot is quicker than a DAO (to me). Comparing it to a S&W revolver I know well, the DA pull is just under 9#, and the SA seems just over 4# with a bit of pre-travel. Just lubed it with froglube; very slick now. My new tuned up model 60 is in the safe now, while this one takes its place.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 08:05 PM

Saw a guy next to us at spencville range shooting that very similar gun even had cocobolo grips! Perhaps that was u? We were on the left end. I had two young guys out shooting thier russian rifles for the first time.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 12:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Saw a guy next to us at spencville range shooting that very similar gun even had cocobolo grips! Perhaps that was u? We were on the left end. I had two young guys out shooting thier russian rifles for the first time.

Wasn't me, but nice to know there's more out there!

Just ordered a 75BD and a Kadet 2 Kit.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 12:42 AM

One of the future son in laws I had with me just got his new P-01 and we were shooting it for the first time as well. Very nice gun, but I still think I like the 75B the best and the 75B compact is number 2. Perhaps the P-01 trigger will wear in, but both the 75s we have the triggers feel better to me.

On a side note the boys were shooting at 3 old fire extinguishers set up at approx 125 yards standing offhand with their milsurp rifles. They had both fired about 30 rounds each at the center one and scared the heck out of it but zero hits. I got a little tired of watching, stepped up to the line with 75B 9mm and fire three shots, the third one tipping their extinguisher over. Their jaws dropped and were speechless! One very priceless moment. (I got lucky but not telling them that) I told them both to not let anyone tell them a 9mm won't do the job. After more coaching and shooting they were hitting those extinguishers about one out of every 10 for the afternoon. Not too terrible for 100 year old rifles and two guys that had never shot before.

The one complaint I have with the CZ is the very small sights they are almost useless in low light. their glow in the dark paint is a joke. I will be getting the better sights.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Ha! Sounds like a fun day of shooting, and yeah the 9mm is not the powder puff folks claim - the 147gr is a very popular bowling pin round. Flips them just fine, and the FBI standard of 12.5" penetration has really pushed the bullet options onto a whole new playing field. 9mm 1911s are all the rage right now ... I wonder why

Yeah, the sights leave some to be desired, but for the price point they're pretty comparable to what came on other "duty" guns I've had. The good news is there are lots of options: Mepro, LPA, FO, TruGlo TFO, XS, an RMR base that fits the CZ dovetail, even a short rail with fixed rear that mounts on the rear dovetail. On the 75 full size I think an LPA rear with an FO front would be great, but on the P-01 I'm thinking one of the no snag rears from CGW with a TFO or XS Big Dot would be awesome.

Quote:
One of the future son in laws I had with me just got his new P-01 and we were shooting it for the first time as well. Very nice gun, but I still think I like the 75B the best and the 75B compact is number 2. Perhaps the P-01 trigger will wear in, but both the 75s we have the triggers feel better to me.

On a side note the boys were shooting at 3 old fire extinguishers set up at approx 125 yards standing offhand with their milsurp rifles. They had both fired about 30 rounds each at the center one and scared the heck out of it but zero hits. I got a little tired of watching, stepped up to the line with 75B 9mm and fire three shots, the third one tipping their extinguisher over. Their jaws dropped and were speechless! One very priceless moment. (I got lucky but not telling them that) I told them both to not let anyone tell them a 9mm won't do the job. After more coaching and shooting they were hitting those extinguishers about one out of every 10 for the afternoon. Not too terrible for 100 year old rifles and two guys that had never shot before.

The one complaint I have with the CZ is the very small sights they are almost useless in low light. their glow in the dark paint is a joke. I will be getting the better sights.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2015, 12:49 PM

Gun Cabinet

I live 2 hrs away from bud's Gunshop.
Called about the steel frame compact today.
I can pick up in store for 473$ plus tax or Order by internet, have shipped to store and pick up in store for 460$.
SP-01 is gonna run 583$ish.

Anyone know of a better deal?

lc

Fundamentalism: The sneaking suspicion that somewhere, someone, might be having fun.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page