CZ 75BD barrel leading - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Default CZ 75BD barrel leading

Been shooting reloads with cast lead bullets, apparently too soft of an alloy, lubed with Lee Liquid Alox. Getting a lot of barrel leading, really tough to get out. Tried Shooters Choice Lead Remover, Iosso cleaner, bronze brushes, but the best thing is 100% copper mesh from a Dawn cleaning pad wrapped around a bronze brush. Nevertheless, the leading is very hard to remove.
Is it possible to remove leading by shooting copper jacketed bullets after the lead bullets, or is it just a myth?
Any thoughts on moly coating the clean barrel to prevent leading?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 12:53 PM

Default Re: CZ 75BD barrel leading

I'm just putting an ante in on this thread as I've not had this problem, but I shoot lead quite a bit.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 01:44 AM

Just ran some cast bullets thru my 75B today but had little leading. If I had a problem I'd go right to my Lewis Lead remover with the brass screens. I use them on my 357s 41s and the 9 once when I really goober it up with some soft swaged bullets. I think Brownell's sells the kits.

I did run a few jacketed bullets thru now n then to help push out the lead but they won't always clean it all out.

Always good to truly clean it out I believe.

http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleanin...prod21587.aspx

NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 02:09 PM

On the recent trip to the range to try my CZ-Compact I fired WCC FMC rounds and handloaded lead bullets cast by Gun Runner. In this case the bullets source was from melted down 45 bullets cast from wheel weights that I had bought. As usual the bullets cast by GR proved accurate. I had saved some metal case bullets to fire at the end of the day.

When cleaning the barrel it was nice and shinny with no leading. But GR hard cast bullets do not have a leading issue.

I recently tried Alox for the first time on bullets I purchased as part of a lead buy from the person I got the 45 bullets from. I was concerned about the spotty lubing in the grooves the bullets had and coated them with Alox. After firing them I cleaning the revolver I found no leading. But again hard cast bullets from wheel weights.

There is a learning process to effectively using a gps. Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 02:37 PM

I'm betting you need a larger diameter bullet
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 07:01 PM

My 75B needed .357 size cast, .356 would lead.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 09:34 PM

Same with ours .355 or .356 lead badly! .357 is ok and .358 is even better.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 02:34 PM

I had barrel leading in my magnums wth leadcast bullets. Using moly coated bullets cut it way down?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 08:46 PM
wgg

Buy an all copper scouring pad such as Choir Girl, cut a section and wrap it around your brush. That will get the lead out. Just make sure the scouring pad is all copper, some are stainless steel, that would harm your barrel. I have used this and it works quickly and does not harm the barrel.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgg
Buy an all copper scouring pad such as Choir Girl, cut a section and wrap it around your brush. That will get the lead out. Just make sure the scouring pad is all copper, some are stainless steel, that would harm your barrel. I have used this and it works quickly and does not harm the barrel.
That is exactly what I did, and it works well. Dawn copper scouring pads are pure copper. It's not so easy to find pure copper ones.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page