It's here! - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

Default It's here!

My CZ 75 SP -01 showed up today. If I'm able, it will make an appearance at the range tomorrow....So far I like it. The DA pull is hard, but the SA is pretty good, and I'm pretty sure it will get better with use. I like how heavy it is, and the fact that it is a steel rather than polymer pistol, and has a hammer rather than being striker fired...

Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns and Single shot rifles!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

And I found out it does not like .358 diameter bullets, as my Ruger and Glock did. I have about 300 or so that I have to shoot up now through the Ruger. The CZ will shoot the .357 diameter bullets without hesitation. If I get the opportunity I'll have it throated to accept the larger diameter bullets, or I can just size all my newly cast to .357......

Tom

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 05:43 AM

Nice pistol!

Always looking to learn new things, and this is a great forum for that. So now I'm wondering why you chose to use .358 sized bullets in your nines? Everytime I've "czeched" (pun) the parabellum bullet dia is .355 or .356 cast lead.

I love the inside-out slide rails. Seems like the right way to do that, like sig p210.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Bigger bullets sometimes will do better. The better it fits, with good lube of course, the less it will lead. I got no leading with the .358 sized bullets in the Ruger or the Glocks that I had. Cast bullets need to be at least .001 over bore diameter, hence the.357 diameter. As a bonus, they would shoot well from the Smith that I had...
When I get a few pennies I'll probably send the barrel off to have it throated a bit so it will shoot the .358 bullets well. But it's just as easy to cast and size the new ones to .357 and feed the Ruger the others. But as it's an LC9s Pro it takes a while. The CZ is fairly heavy and the recoil is mild compared to the Ruger, plus it has two magazines that hold 18 or so rounds....

Tom

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom W. View Post
My CZ 75 SP -01 showed up today. If I'm able, it will make an appearance at the range tomorrow....So far I like it. The DA pull is hard, but the SA is pretty good, and I'm pretty sure it will get better with use. I like how heavy it is, and the fact that it is a steel rather than polymer pistol, and has a hammer rather than being striker fired...
Interesting pistols. works like a 1911 but also a DA. low slide design in a steel reciver. love it. If push came to shove i want this gun.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom W. View Post
Like : CZ went for the hail mary pass. And they did it.

Last edited by Argent11; 12-27-2018 at 06:52 PM.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 06:10 PM

So far my CZ 75 compact hasn't had a single problem. 400 rounds later and it's reasonably accurate. Two inch groups at 20 yards.
I think it's a keeper.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 10:57 AM

The only way to really tell what size lead bullet is required with out shooting is to just slug the barrel. Barrel diameters in 9mm might surprise you. I have three different 9's, each from a different maker. One is very accurate with .356 lead bullets. The next not so great with .356 but does good with .357 and the chamber is too tight to accept loads with .358 bullets. The third is terrible with .356, not so good with .357, and fair with .358. It's good enough for SD but I prefer the first one over it. It's probably going to find a new home this spring.

I can't recall my measurements but the first was what it's supposed to be, the second somewhat oversized, and in the third a .356 bullet would almost rattle going down the barrel.

Last edited by oldandslow; 12-31-2018 at 11:02 AM.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 11:18 AM

I was shooting factory hardball for the most part. I put a box of Remington HPs through it and it grouped about the same.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

The Ruger and the CZ haven't seen factory ammo, and probably won't. I went to the range again today with two boxes of loads with .357 diameter for the CZ and two boxes of .358 diameter for the Ruger. Both preformed flawlessly. No stovepipes, no FTF, nothing! It did wear me out a bit. 5 grains of True Blue is rather stout in that little Ruger. The CZ not so much.

Tom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page