45 BP bullet mold? - Page 3 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 08:05 PM

Default Re: 45 BP bullet mold?

I use D D"s roa mould lubed & sized 454 in my 45colt & 45 scholfield loads big lube groove.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-12-2007, 02:42 AM

I can vouch for the molds that Dick Dastardly brokers from Lee. They are special and Lee makes them up a hundred at a time under their special order deal. They do not sell the molds themselves even though by now they must have a clue that they work really well with BP.
Let's see I have the Snakebite .358, the Mav Dutchman 44, the ROA for the Ruger Old Army, the PRS 45, the 400gr 458 45-70 and the new EPP 45lc 150gr. Keeps me more than busy. They all shoot great. I make my lube from equal parts of mutton tallow and beeswax, with a dash of thompsons bore butter, cuz I like the smell of it and olive oil which I add more or less to depending on the season.
That 400gr 45-70 mold could have been a two holer, it does suck up some lead in a hurry, but once I got to casting, I couldn't stop a couple years ago and I have yet to use it since. 6 at a time sure gives you a pile of bullets in hurry........and it keeps you looking for buckets of wheel weights too.

yer pard,
Howdy Doody

Darksider from Doodyville USA
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 01:21 PM

I've been using one of the PRS molds now for about three years, and I've been happy with the results from my pistols and my rifles in .45 Colt. The mold is also pretty durable I've cast thousands of bullets with it and its still going strong.

AKA Fightin Creek Slim SASS #46658
Are you gonna pull them pistols or whistle dixie?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 03:33 AM

Check out Ranch Dog Molds
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 02:40 PM

Another bullet, and one that is original to the late 1800's is the Lyman 457130 or collar button bullet.

http://www.three-peaks.net/bullet_molds.htm

(Follow the above link to the bullet)

It cast a 145 grain bullet with a large grease groove.

Originally designed to be used in the 45-70 for gallery loads it can be sized down to fit in the various 45 caliber cartridges. I've even sized it down to fit in a 44 Colt but you may consider that a bit much. It worked fine.

Good luck

"Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result" Winston Churchill

"A law without a punishment is merely advice." anonymous
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 11:59 PM

I got one of the first PRS 454-250 molds, back in '02 or '03. With just normal care, it's still cranking out beautiful bullets, literally thousands of rounds later.

I size to .452 and lube in an RCBS LAM; lubed with SPG or my homemade crisco/beeswax mixture (exact composition varies with the weather, more wax for our 100+ degree summer days), I've shot 9 stages without needing to stop down to clean, pistols or my 24" Marlin.

The only thing I've considered changing bullets for is to go to something lighter; I'm a card-carrying Warthog, but I do regret the couple of targets that I've broken ... For lighter, DD's 456-200 is looking interesting.

In short, in my experience, before the PRS, I was never able to find a bullet that held enough lube; I was forever making grease cookies for my rifle rounds, using the cap and ball trick of greasing my revolver chambers (but for a different reason), and cleaning every few stages. Are there other bullets that hold enough lube? Probably, but I'm happy with what I have, especially for the price...

Good luck, have fun and keep yer powder dry!

"There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. We're trying to teach you to be dangerous--to the enemy. Dangerous even without a knife. Deadly as long as you still have one hand or one foot and are still alive."
--Robert. A. Heinlein
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 02:41 PM

I was finally able to copy a photo of the collar button bullet, 457130

"Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result" Winston Churchill

"A law without a punishment is merely advice." anonymous

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page