2 1/8 Lapan's Foundry Cannon - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 172 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 05:22 PM

Send a message via MSN to BoomLover
Default Re: 2 1/8 Lapan's Foundry Cannon

Wonder what the injury was? And what the cause was? Manufacture error, equiptment falure? Or, operator error? Too bad someone was injured, but, also too bad a manufacture had to go out of business! That's why safety first is the name of the game! Let's hope they recovered? Nice looking cannon! BoomLover

"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 172 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 05:42 PM

Wow That is a darn nice cannon .

Curator of the Military Museum in Stockholm holding the origanal Morko with my reproduction!
post #13 of 172 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 05:51 PM

Juice can (V8) is for 2.25" inches in my South Bend cohorn YMMV! ;D .

If it was 2.25" pool balls will make great projectiles . I used to shoot V8 can full of cement ,but poolballs are it !
rocklockI

Curator of the Military Museum in Stockholm holding the origanal Morko with my reproduction!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 172 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 07:17 PM

Plastikosmd, One of my old Lapan catalogs shows that your gun is a copy of a full scale French or English piece that was found in Lake George, N.Y. Lapan called it their pattern number 6A. They made both the barrel and carriage. All of their barrels that I have seen were excellent castings that were cast around a liner and had a pretty nice finish even though they were not lathe turned on the outside. They made both iron and bronze mortars and cannons, full scale and smaller scale pieces.

Max

Max
post #15 of 172 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 07:59 PM

Location: Trump's Bowling Green Skating Rink. If U got who U wanted; will U want what U are going to get?

I believe I read about the "accident" within the first 3 years of The Artilleryman publication. I used to get it back then. Only last year, did I dump the first 3-4 years copies and the original catalogue of Lapan Foundry in the trash at the transfer station. I took them to a number of gun shows for a buck each and there was zero interest.

rc

Protect Freedom of Speech; to identify IDIOTS!
post #16 of 172 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator

Richard,

You too? I remembered that accident. I also remembered that I still had the article. Page 6 of Vol 6, no 4 of the Artilleryman has the story.
post #17 of 172 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 12:59 AM Thread Starter

well it is 2 1/8 not 1/4 so, tomato paste cans seem to be about the right size..will have to measure at the supermarket. Looking at the cannon I am not too concerned about the sleeve moving or really wear all that much. Hole is a bit over 1/8 and I cleaned it up with a ream and took a look down...seems pretty good. I may just use it as is with some cord. I plan to keep the loads quite low...figure from my reading 1 oz. should be ok. Dont need to lob a can over a mountain or stop a charge of infantry! Will shoot some more pics. I want to go do a test fire or 2 before takin it all apart to restore it. Wife is mildly irritated and may force a sale before I get it restored!
post #18 of 172 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 01:26 AM

I met Ed La Pan in 1973 when I visited his Foundry on Vaughn Road in Hudson Falls, New York just east of Glens Falls when I was looking for some cannonballs for my South Bend Replicas 1/2 scale 8 Inch 1797 Mortar. He showed me around and I saw a few tubes in process and one complete, ready for delivery. It looked very nice. He told me no problem on 4" Dia. cannonballs and completed them a week later. He was busy, but talked a lot about quality and told me about the importance of liner centering. The cannonballs he sold me were at least twice as good as the 40 I later ordered from Slack-Horner Foundry in Longmont, CO. In fact I was so impressed with his attention to detail, that I went to great lengths not to lose those first five. However, I over-shot a cow pasture and lost one in a bog near Kingston, NY and another was lost in a dense thicket behind the 300 yard butts at a range near Clarksville, NY. I DO NOT shoot the 3 which remain and are pictured below.

Regards,

Tracy

The front cover of the LA PAN'S FOUNDRY brochure I received from Ed La Pan in 1973. Yes, my cannonballs have a little rust, but it's almost a miracle that I still have them at all. They are indoors now and undergoing a once a decade cleaning and repainting.

Plastickosmd, I agree with Max Caliber and believe the cannon you have is pictured here on page 7 of La Pan's brochure. The photo caption is: PATT. No. 6A ON FIELD CARRIAGE WITH 22" ALUMINUM WHEELS. The hardware looks like it's an exact match too. It's a very good looking cannon.

Smokin my pipe on the mountings, sniffin the mornin cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners beind me, an never a beggar forgets
Its only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - Tss! Tss!

From the poem Screw-Guns by Rudyard Kipling
post #19 of 172 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 01:58 AM Thread Starter

could i pay you for a copy of that book? let me know how much..This is my first cannon..but it does seem well made. With care it should last me a long while and yes..that is the cannon you have pictured, does it list the weight?
post #20 of 172 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 02:41 AM

The La Pan Foundry brochure doesn't list weights or prices for any of the cannons shown. However, we will be happy to copy it and send it to you NC. PM us with your shipping address and we will send it out. Call us first if you ever decide to sell this cannon.

Regards,

Tracy and Mike

Smokin my pipe on the mountings, sniffin the mornin cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners beind me, an never a beggar forgets
Its only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - Tss! Tss!

From the poem Screw-Guns by Rudyard Kipling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page