2 1/8 Lapan's Foundry Cannon - Page 3 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 171 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 07:39 AM

Default Re: 2 1/8 Lapan's Foundry Cannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomLover
Wonder what the injury was? And what the cause was? Manufacture error, equiptment falure? Or, operator error? Too bad someone was injured, but, also too bad a manufacture had to go out of business! That's why safety first is the name of the game! Let's hope they recovered? Nice looking cannon! BoomLover
There was a gentleman in an artillery unit that lost his arm up to the elbow while loading the gun with a straight rammer, he sued the Brigade of the American Revolution, the artillery unit, Lapan, and anyone else
he could think of, while it is tragic that he lost his arm no one held a gun to his head and forced him to load that cannon, seeing the way the jury trial was going he settled for I believe 30 or 35 thousand dollars.
and Lapan stopped making cannon due to the cost of litigation and the possibility of future SUE SUE SUE types.
[/color]

[b][color=navy]Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it! & Please pray for him... Psalm 109:8[b]

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 171 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 09:44 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastikosmd
Hole is a bit over 1/8 and I cleaned it up with a ream and took a look down...seems pretty good. I may just use it as is with some cord.
Since this is a cast around liner you a have seam between liner and casting. When fired black powder reside is blasted under pressure up the fuse hole. The residue can collect in the micro pores in the joint between liner and casting. When the bore is swabbed the steam also goes up the the vent and helps force this reside into that seeam. The residue is forced into the micropores is virtullly impossible to clean out. To minimize the effect the best thing to do is instal a vent liner help preserved for very valuable cannon.

Quote:
Wife is mildly irritated and may force a sale before I get it restored!
About the wife, well I have been married for 42 years all to the same women. With these many years of experience I can tell you there is nothing to you can do. You can minimimize the effect with time and distance, but you will find it easier to vent your cannon than minimize the wife effect totally. ;D
post #23 of 171 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 09:54 AM

Just remember to buy some fg or better yet cannon grade powder 3Fg is too fine for a bore this big.it is fine for priming or use your 3fg for black powder longarms etc. [/color]

[b][color=navy]Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it! & Please pray for him... Psalm 109:8[b]

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 171 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Wife is mildly irritated and may force a sale before I get it restored!
Let her shoot it.

Better yet, let her shoot it first (while you 'observe').

Just be careful, it may become HER cannon...

;D ;D ;D

Oh, and ditto on the FFFg. Not really good for this big gun.

Fg would probably be okay for salutes (if you already had it on-hand), but for any type of projectile I would use nothing less than cannon grade. Best to just buy cannon and use it for both.

I don't often bare my soul, it's ugly and tends to frighten people.
post #25 of 171 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 10:36 AM

Quote:
well it is 2 1/8 not 1/4 so, tomato paste cans seem to be about the right size..will have to measure at the supermarket. Looking at the cannon I am not too concerned about the sleeve moving or really wear all that much. Hole is a bit over 1/8 and I cleaned it up with a ream and took a look down...seems pretty good. I may just use it as is with some cord. I plan to keep the loads quite low...figure from my reading 1 oz. should be ok. Dont need to lob a can over a mountain or stop a charge of infantry! Will shoot some more pics. I want to go do a test fire or 2 before takin it all apart to restore it. Wife is mildly irritated and may force a sale before I get it restored!
plastikosmd, Very Nice Cannon! FYI, a tomato paste can will not fit in a 2-1/8" bore. Redbull soda can will. There was a guy from New York a few years back who built and sold 2" bore cannons and fired cut down paint rollers filled with concrete from it. Dom
post #26 of 171 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 10:53 AM

Location: Trump's Bowling Green Skating Rink. If U got who U wanted; will U want what U are going to get?

Hannaford tomato paste cans are exactly 2 1/8". Maybe other brands vary? If you touch the rims with a wheel, you can gain enough space?

rc

Protect Freedom of Speech; to identify IDIOTS!
post #27 of 171 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelionspaw
Hannaford tomato paste cans are exactly 2 1/8". Maybe other brands vary? If you touch the rims with a wheel, you can gain enough space?

rc
Richard, You're right, it is the lip of the can that interferes. I will measure my can collection tomorrow. Dom
post #28 of 171 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

i have enough clearance for a tomato paste can..which leads me to another question...the can fits easily..prob 1/32 all the way around. ( guess the bore is slightly larger than 2 1/8 but not by much.)My only black powder experience is with a pistol in which you jam that bullet it. My goal is to have fun but not build a ton of pressure...should i just use some wadding behind the can or seat it harder with say a muffin cup wrap or 2?
post #29 of 171 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 11:31 AM

Send a message via AIM to dan610324 Send a message via MSN to dan610324 Send a message via Yahoo to dan610324

if you have 1/32 all around it I would say its close to perfect
shoot them as they are , dont wrap them .

Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry
post #30 of 171 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 12:02 PM

Don't patch the projectile.

Smoothbore muzzle-loading cannon need windage. In this case "windage" refers to the clearance between bore and projectile and not the more modern definition of lateral sight adjustments.

Bores foul, projectiles can be imperfect or inconsistent. A little windage is necessary to avoid a high-pressure incident.

That said, I know of a couple of extreme cases where patching has been used. But in these cases it was very loosely patched, mainly to allow use of a grossly undersized projectile. It was not a tight seal, and in both cases these were mortars which are very low-pressure in comparison to a cannon.

Something you should do is have the bore diameter measured. A little knowledge of the gun's properties can go a long way in the future.

A ball gauge should also be built. This is a tube bored out to the diameter of the bore. The length of the gauge should be three times its diameter. All projectiles should be checked before loading. Oblong projectiles like cans should slide through easily, balls will roll in the bore so they should be made to roll through the gauge (out-of-round balls can sometimes be slid through, but won't roll through without jamming).

Any projectile that fails the gauge should be discarded. Better to find out now than when a can with a bent rim jams halfway down a loaded barrel.

I don't often bare my soul, it's ugly and tends to frighten people.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page